Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
rabbito

Drives: 2012 Toyota Yaris Sedan (Vios)
Give me opinion on coilovers

I have performance shock and struts, of course their not adjustable...they are stiff of course with 2" drop...
will coilovers be different than performance shocks strut other than adjusting heights and control soft - hard?
i was trying to purchase set of coilovers and some of the people i know said it should be almost no difference since you got performance shock and springs

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk
Electric: Volt Stablizer & Multi gauge obd2
Cosmetic: Toyota red emblem
rabbito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
I've only ran performance struts and could but from reading many forums of others whom have done both the consensus seems that a good quality set of struts and could will out perform a poor or mediocre set of coil overs.

Most people say if you want the adjustment then get co's but you need to pay to play. Usually above $1k is where you get the decent quality co's.

Armstrong was running to kill blues and micro image springs. He'll be running some BC co's Nina few weeks so watch out for his review as that will be a great compassion

Last edited by tmontague; 05-03-2017 at 11:40 AM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:10 AM   #3
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
go kill blues
Nice! Gotta love spell check.

Good spring/shock/strut combo all the way. Quality coilovers are way too expensive for what the average person requires.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:42 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
My fat fingers hit every Damn key...

But I agree, $1200USD and up is a very steep price to pay unless you track your yaris and need it corner balanced/constantly need to adjust height and dampening

Tried and true bilstein b8's can be bought off eBay for less than $400 USD and there are a plethora of great lowering springs for our car
Old 05-03-2017, 03:30 PM   #5
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
Koni makes adjustable shocks.. That would be your cheapest option if you like your current ride height.

I wouldn't do coilovers unless you want ride height adjustments. Bilsteins are a great shock also.

I ran Megan Racing coil overs.. I wanted the shock dampening feature as well as height adjustments
Old 05-04-2017, 10:12 PM   #6
3cyltrbo

Drives: MR2 Spyd/Type R/Yaris/Civic Si
I've got a coilover setup on mine that would be about $2k in todays market if they were still available, which is admittedly a little bit on the expensive side (almost 1/5th the total price of my car when new)

However......

I love them for the almost infinite range of ride height adjustability and tuning capability
3cyltrbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 09:21 AM   #7
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i had megan coilovers on my liftback...they were FIRM for DD-ing on rough streets. were great on the track/auto-x though.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #8
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I am running Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico Blues. Love the combo. I used to have Megan Racing coils and did not like them; far too stiff for daily driving. (Great on a track)

Once my Blues need to be replaced ( probably have 60,000 miles on them), I'm not sure what I'll go with. It looks like Koni goes up to 2005 Yaris/Vitz. Bilsteins are pretty pricey. Allegedly there's a company called Stagg that offers Yaris shocks/struts, too.

http://staggshocks.com/Stagg%20AG/St...a%20Yaris.html
All four for $128?!?!? http://brandcarparts.com/2006-2012-t...-struts-4.html

Looks like TRD stuff can be had on eBay for about $489 for all four, too.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
Allegedly there's a company called Stagg that offers Yaris shocks/struts, too.

http://staggshocks.com/Stagg%20AG/St...a%20Yaris.html
All four for $128?!?!? http://brandcarparts.com/2006-2012-t...-struts-4.html
$128! Wow! Seems too good to be true, but then again I have never heard of Stagg. Anybody here actually use these?
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 02:15 AM   #10
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
$128! Wow! Seems too good to be true, but then again I have never heard of Stagg. Anybody here actually use these?
I have a set that i'm planning on installing this summer with a set of Microimage springs.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:02 AM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by invader166 View Post
I have a set that i'm planning on installing this summer with a set of Microimage springs.
Cool. Interested in hearing how they perform.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM   #12
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Cool. Interested in hearing how they perform.
That makes two of us!
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 01:11 PM   #13
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
I've only ran performance struts and could but from reading many forums of others whom have done both the consensus seems that a good quality set of struts and could will out perform a poor or mediocre set of coil overs.

Most people say if you want the adjustment then get co's but you need to pay to play. Usually above $1k is where you get the decent quality co's.

Armstrong was running to kill blues and micro image springs. He'll be running some BC co's Nina few weeks so watch out for his review as that will be a great compassion
I loved the Tokico Blues and MI springs from the moment I installed them. I raced on them for 3 years and they are great, but now I'm on Rcomps and the body roll is getting insane.

I ordered a custom set of BC DR coilovers, it will take then 2-4 weeks to build them and they were well over $1000

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #14
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
After racing for awhile, I have noticed many drivers who tune their suspension will mix and match setups by swapping different spring rates with different companies front and rear. Nothing beats a well designed shock though. Many racers love the Bilstiens for the customization and rebuild kits they offer. It depends on how much you like to "fine tune" a cars suspension
Old 05-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #15
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
I will likely do the same eventually, but for now I'll just be testing what BC sends me. I've gotta compensate for the weight reduction then dial in on spring rates accordingly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikerice View Post
After racing for awhile, I have noticed many drivers who tune their suspension will mix and match setups by swapping different spring rates with different companies front and rear. Nothing beats a well designed shock though. Many racers love the Bilstiens for the customization and rebuild kits they offer. It depends on how much you like to "fine tune" a cars suspension

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:17 AM   #16
alias06

Drives: 2008 Red Toyota Yaris
It depends on what you are looking to improve on when doing any mod. Coilovers won't necessarily help you go faster in a straight line if that is what you are looking for, and as many of the others have said, it will cost more to get a proper setup with coilovers but it will also improve handling.
alias06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:33 PM   #17
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Been on my Megan Coilovers since 2011, absolutely love them (surprisingly). The F2's on my MR2...absolutely hate them...Will be switching the MR2 to AMR coilovers.

The stiffness/harshness of the ride will depend on the spring and the low speed damper valving in the shock. Tuning is limited on most coilovers I see for the Yaris but generally with my cars (and bikes) I match the springs to the weight of the car (or bike) and intended driving then, I adjust the damper accordingly (Megan's allow for some damper adjustment). With the Megans, the spring rates were good for my driving style and my uses so I didn't have to change anything around.

The MR2's F2 coilovers (same as D2), the damper on those are rubbish and I played with many spring rates and damper settings and couldn't get the car to perform how I wanted. The dampers just didn't rebound the way I wanted and overall they felt mushy even with slightly stiffer springs (too stiff and you lose traction). But for just lowering and daily puttzing around, the F2's were good at that.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:36 PM   #18
heeroyuy01195
Post count means nothing.

Drives: AW11, NCP91, Old Motorcycles
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias06 View Post
It depends on what you are looking to improve on when doing any mod. Coilovers won't necessarily help you go faster in a straight line if that is what you are looking for, and as many of the others have said, it will cost more to get a proper setup with coilovers but it will also improve handling.
Coilovers can help with straight line drag racing. Depending on how they're setup, you can improve your traction on launch and reduce "bob" while shifting gears which keeps the wheels planted so more power to the pavement. Minimal improvement on an underpowered car like the Yaris but milliseconds count.
heeroyuy01195 is offline   Reply With Quote