Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-15-2006, 08:06 AM   #1
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Tire Pressure

What tire pressure does everyone have their tires at? I have the 215/40's and the tires are Toyo Proxys. they hold max 50lbs, and the stocks are suppose to be at 32. Does anyone know if since they are low profile they should have more in them?? I didnt know if I was suppose to keep it at OEM specs or put more in them. I have been known to hit big pot holes and put as to what I refer to it as softballs or baseballs in my tires. U know when the sidewall has a big lump in it. I didnt know if this was due to over inflation and then hitting a hole. I usually kept my tires at 40 psi, but dont want to ruin these. Is there a general rule of thumb??
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:07 PM   #2
SimmZ

Drives: 2k3 Cavalier & 2k2 Echo
The tire pressure doesn't have nothing to do with tires kind or brand. It have something to do with the car model/brand. Check in your driver's door, you probably have a sticker with many information on your vehicule including paint color code and recommanded tires pressure. Some vehicule will require a different pressure for front and rear. On my old Nissan Sentra 2003, Nissan recommand 31 PSI in front and 33 PSI in rear...

Most of vehicule will recommand 32 PSI all around. No matter which tires used.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:24 PM   #3
MWill517

Drives: '07 Yaris Sedan Barcelona Red
If you over inflate your tires, it can cause excessive stress on the tire. That can also cause the tire to wear in the center prematurely. The "baseballs" you refer to are likely from the steel belts breaking and causing a bubble in that spot. That too can be a result of over inflation and / or hitting a big pothole. In either case the tire is degraded and more prone to blowout.
I can only recomend inflateing to the recomended pressure that is on the tire.
The manufacturer tested and has rated it that for a reason. There are cases that slightly higher or lower pressure is not bad. Sometimes in the winter with ice on the roads, a lesser pressure may give you a small amount more traction. Answering the pressure question, different tires do require different pressure. For example, my bycycle tire states max 60 psi. Some tires are rated at 90 psi on large trucks. I Hope that was of some use.

Last edited by MWill517; 08-15-2006 at 03:38 PM.
MWill517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 03:33 PM   #4
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Try talking to your installer to find out ideal psi.. never over or under inflate.. doing that can really take away from your cars overall stability..
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:26 PM   #5
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I found this on Toyos website. The Yaris call for the stock tires at 220kga at 32psi and my Toyos will hold 545 at 50psi which is the max. SO I thougt that since the stocks were at 32 at 220 that if you compared the two then the Toyos would neeed at least 27-30psi to make the 220.

Any tire that you install on a vehicle must have EQUAL or GREATER load capacity compared to the tire originally installed on the vehicle by the manufacturer. Failure to follow this fundamental rule may result in tire overload, tire fatigue and sudden failure leading to an accident.

The ability of any tire to safely support the vehicle load and driving forces is TOTALLY DEPENDENT ON THE INFLATION PRESSURE.

All replacement tires must be inflated to a level that will provide at least EQUAL load capacity compared to the tires originally installed on the vehicle. Always refer to the vehicle's TIRE INFORMATION PLACARD to determine the original tire size and recommended inflation pressure. Some replacement tires may require higher PSI to achieve load capacity equal to the original tire. Refer to the load and inflation charts included here to determine correct inflation pressure for replacement tires.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 04:47 PM   #6
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
The problem with the recommended PSI on the factory door jam is that it is only for the stock tire size or the particular tire size that the vehicle shipped with.

E.g.
Toyota Yaris Hatchback RS
185 65 R15 - Cold Tire Pressure 32.5 (this might be wrong, I'm trying my best to remember)

When you change the diameter of the wheel and the tire size, it throws things out of whack so to speak, as everything has been changed.

I spoke to the service manager from Toyota in my area and he said the best way to determine a the new tire pressure is by trial and error. I don't like the sounds of that, so I'll just call it "playing with it".

He suggested using a tire pressure that is slightly higher than the midpoint of the minimum and maximum allowable tire pressure for the new tires.

E.g.
Min 30
Max 50
Midpoint 40

Suggested Pressure 41-43

After adjusting the tire pressure to that midpoint area, drive around with it and just keep notes on the ride. Does it bounce, does it feel like it wants to bottom out, etc.

The next day, you should either decrease or increase the tire pressure depending on the ride experience.

Most importantly, all adjustments should be done when the tire pressure is COLD!

So do it before you start driving for the day!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 PM   #7
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
I know this is an old thread, but I though it to be important to respond... stock tire pressure us 30psi on the 185/60r15's, this is because 30psi can hold X amount of lbs safely..... when you change your tire/wheel size you need to determine how much pressure with hold the weight of the vehicle... I have a guide at work that will give you how much weight each size tire can hold at each air pressure... BTW to get past the "cold" air pressure, as stated above, switch to Nitrogen, it is a larger molicule and does not expand and contract nearly as much as normal air... who ever told you to run 41-43 psi in any tire on a Yaris has a big 'ol doober in one hand and crack pipe in the other....
Old 11-04-2006, 11:13 PM   #8
bigsky2
Cousin Vitz

Drives: Yaris RS 5DR / Vitz RS wannabe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris
I know this is an old thread, but I though it to be important to respond... stock tire pressure us 30psi on the 185/60r15's, this is because 30psi can hold X amount of lbs safely..... when you change your tire/wheel size you need to determine how much pressure with hold the weight of the vehicle... I have a guide at work that will give you how much weight each size tire can hold at each air pressure... BTW to get past the "cold" air pressure, as stated above, switch to Nitrogen, it is a larger molicule and does not expand and contract nearly as much as normal air... who ever told you to run 41-43 psi in any tire on a Yaris has a big 'ol doober in one hand and crack pipe in the other....
Agreed man.

I took the car for servicing last week and I asked a few techs what they think about tire pressure. They told me that 40s PSI is just insane, and that it was overinflated when I had my rims/tires installed.

I was running at 42 PSI for about a month in the summer and I didn't think much of it. But after experiencing a very harsh ride, a lot of road noise, and shitty handling, I backed if down to about 35-36PSI. It felt MUCH smoother, almost like stock!

After servicing, they adjusted the pressure and lowered it to 32PSI all around. It now rides much smoother, road noise has been reduced, and it feels better overall.

I take back my suggestion in the above post

Stay in the 32-35 PSI range guys
Old 11-05-2006, 12:37 PM   #9
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
you actually should drop the airpressure from stock when going to larger wheels... I was also wrong about the stock air pressure, it is 32psi... but I run 30psi of nitrogen in both sets of wheels on 225/50vr15 and stock tires and wheels