Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-06-2006, 09:47 AM   #19
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
I have read from some other forums that it is actually better to do the first service (oil change) around the first 2000-3000 kms. As during this time, all the dirt and chips from the engine comes off, and you probably don't want to drive with them in your engine until 8000 kms!

And I did have my first oil change at 2000 kms. I should have ask the technician to show me the oil from my car and see how "clean" it is, but I didn't.
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM   #20
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by GabL
I have read from some other forums that it is actually better to do the first service (oil change) around the first 2000-3000 kms. As during this time, all the dirt and chips from the engine comes off, and you probably don't want to drive with them in your engine until 8000 kms!

And I did have my first oil change at 2000 kms. I should have ask the technician to show me the oil from my car and see how "clean" it is, but I didn't.
It's not going to look like what it was when you put it in, if that's what your thinking. The most noticeable difference: It'll be black. That happens mostly because of the blowby. :-)

But yeah... The earlier you change it, the better it'd be for your engine... You are right about that. But I was just saying, you'd still be safe if you did it up to what the manufacturer said. ;-) No harm in changing it early. I would. :-)
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 08:53 AM   #21
GabL
I want JDM bumpers!

Drives: 5 Dr Yaris RS in Blazing Blue
[QUOTE=AutoTech1]It's not going to look like what it was when you put it in, if that's what your thinking. The most noticeable difference: It'll be black. That happens mostly because of the blowby. :-)[QUOTE]

I know it'll turn black, I did my oil changes b4. I'm just saying, how "black" it'll turn if I change the oil in the first 2000kms compare to 8000kms! :)
GabL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:57 PM   #22
AutoTech1

Drives: None yet
[QUOTE=GabL][QUOTE=AutoTech1]It's not going to look like what it was when you put it in, if that's what your thinking. The most noticeable difference: It'll be black. That happens mostly because of the blowby. :-)
Quote:

I know it'll turn black, I did my oil changes b4. I'm just saying, how "black" it'll turn if I change the oil in the first 2000kms compare to 8000kms! :)
I am pretty sure it'll still be black... But you are wondering whether it'd be a lighter black than the one that would stay in the oil sump longer? Well... I would think it'd still be the same black as the one longer (because blowby occurs no matter what). However, I wouldn't be concerned too much about what color it is, but rather it's viscosity (resistance to flow). And viscosity is a key trait in oil... So even if the younger one does have the same black color of the other oil that stayed in the engine longer, I'd feel safe to say that it's better, because it hasn't aged as much... But that's just a guess coming from me... I'd just change it halfway of what Toyota says (to avoid wasting money) and if it's not a big deal to you, change it at Toyota's specs.

I haven't really learned too much about oil yet though, so I can't give you a straight correct answer...
AutoTech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 11:21 PM   #23
jay

Drives: 2006 Yaris LE 5dr AT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmingie
Just to give you an idea about quality of Genuine Toyota Motor Oil. Here in Canada, it is all manufactured, bottled and rebranded by Esso.
Cool insider info! I think it was clear that Toyota was sourcing the stuff from a major producer - most of us just didn't know who until now.

Just as a quick question (and without hijacking this thread) - any idea as to who actually makes the "Genuine Toyota" branded OE oil filters?
jay is offline   Reply With Quote