Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
jjonrofl

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB
Any diabetics on Yaris World?

Me! Type 1 since 2001. Anyone else? I use the storage compartments in my yaris for glucose tabs and orange juice :p
jjonrofl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:44 PM   #2
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
I am also. Found out in 2004 when I blacked out riding my motorcycle. Hit the car in front of me, woke up on the ground with paramedics standing over me. Went to hospital and they informed me after they got done testing me.

http://www.yariscentral.com/index.php

Just an old guy rockin it with you young-uns
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:52 PM   #3
custom Lftback

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Send a message via Yahoo to custom Lftback
^ wow scary deal, glad you're ok
Current Mods: MI Armrest; Full LED conversion (interior and exterior); RS spoiler; Tinted windows; Tanabe DF210 lowering springs; aftermarket door speakers; 12" RF P3 subwoofer with custom box wrapped in Neffy; seat covers; HID 8000K headlights; HID 3000K foglights; 13mm PG hub spacers; muffler delete with dual tip; eyelids; and.. A little red Domo mascot!
custom Lftback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 AM   #4
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
Diagnosed 10 years ago with type 2,wish i'd known it was coming as i might have been able to make the lifestyle change to either stop from getting it or postpone it till later in life.
If you are overweight and overeat and drink a lot of poor quality foods it wont be a matter of if you are getting diabetes it'll be a matter of when,,let me tell you its no fun as to try to keep it under control everything you eat has to be scrutinized, and it can be very expensive to treat,if you dont have medical insurance the medications can easily top $300 a month.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #5
rihdrkc
Blazing Blue Yaris

Drives: 2009 Yaris 3 door Liftback
^ +1

I might have been able to put it off till later, but I have done all of the above all my life. Another thing against me was that it runs in my family on both sides.

When you are young, you think you are invincible, just ain't so.

A warning to anybody that reads this, get yourself checked at the doctor, if you can avoid becoming diabetic, do it because it is not fun.

http://www.yariscentral.com/index.php

Just an old guy rockin it with you young-uns
rihdrkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:03 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
My wife's been a type 1 since she was 3 (and she's 43 now). She's been on an insulin pump for about 15 years. She wrecked two cars due to hypoglycemic incidents (fortunately, without hurting herself or anyone else). Due to diabetic retinopathy, her vision is not good enough to drive anymore.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 10:48 AM   #7
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
Not me, but my father....

He's been on the pump for 10 years now, has a lot of complicating diseases like Chron's disease, Addison's disease, Immunoinsufficiency, and had a heart transplant 9 years ago.

He's the definition of a medical miracle.

He's had his scary moments with me, going 80 down a two lane road(35) and not being able to get him to brake while he's barrelling down the wrong side of the road towards stopped traffic, on the last minute stopping before the stopped people(inches) and then immediately seizing...... is a life changing event......

:/

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:13 AM   #8
SAV912
Pirate Yaaaaris

Drives: '00 Toyota Celica GTS 6MT
Send a message via AIM to SAV912
Checkin' in. Type 1, diagnosed 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. It was but like any other case, had to learn to adapt to it.

Was on shots/pens until 18 and a pump since then. I'm almost 24 now, so it's been nearly 10 years. Shudder to think of it.

-SAV

'09 Yaris LB 5MT Sold.
SAV912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
DFA
Compulsive Washer

Drives: 08' AT Meteorite Metallic LB
Send a message via MSN to DFA
Not yet, but my grandpa is, so it's always a possiblity.
I always try to take care of myself.

DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Palmer812

Drives: 2010 Meteorite Metallic LB
My dad is. He was diagnosed at age 40. I am 38 now. I try to take decent care of myself.
Palmer812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #11
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Is it true if you are overweight and diabetic and lose enough of the weight you come out of it?
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronsin View Post
Is it true if you are overweight and diabetic and lose enough of the weight you come out of it?
not really.

there are 2 basic types, and some subtypes. also another kind, [diabetes insipidus
in which the kidneys are unable to conserve water. this is not about that.]

[diabetes mellitus is the commonly known 'diabetes type 1, 1.5, or 2]

type 1, usually hits when young, pre-teen or teens (this is genetic)

an auto-immune disorder which attacks your pancreas and reduces it's ability
to produce insulin. you have antibodies in your blood which target the beta cells.
the fix for this is take insulin to match carbohydrates ingested, and take
a background insulin to match the glucose your liver puts out, all in a goal to make
your hbA1c match a normal persons
---
type 1.5 is type 1 but hits late in life like 30's or 40's (genetic)
---
type 2 (generally the out-of-shape persons problem) this is genetic also. it is all genetic.

a disorder where your body doesn't use the insulin it does produce, or doesn't
produce enough, but not because of auto-immune disorder. no antibodies in the blood.
the fix for this is to take a lot more insulin, or drugs which increase your ability to use the insulin you
do produce, or which reduce your ability to uptake carbs in the gut, or a combination.

type 2 is the type usually triggered by 'bad habits' and this may
be fixable by diet and exercise which makes you more sensitive to insulin and you
may be able to avoid drugs

---
if you are any type of diabetic, if you can treat it with insulin alone is the way to go. it is clean
for the body. the drugs most used in type 2 have other effects and mess with your
endocrine system and it is not so great. plain old insulin has no bad effects unless you
have too much on-board and your blood glucose goes low.

but no one likes shots, so many type 2 take drugs and avoid shots like the plague.

note: the needles do not hurt 9 times out of 10.

----
if you are able to keep your a1c 'normal' then that is all there is to it. you will not
have any other health issues. if your a1c varies and goes high, then you are at risk
of complications die to high blood sugar messing with the nerves, retina, circulation...

some type 1's are lucky and they can match carbs easily and are predictable. other types of type 1
have other endocrine issues and it is almost impossible to predict the results of insulin taken
vs carbs. these are called 'brittle' diabetics and it is very hard to control. pumps really help
in these situations. otherwise, a few shots a day usually takes care of things.

there is a lot to it.

type 1 may be easy to control (my category)
type 1 may be difficult to control (lucky for me, not me)
same with type 2

the single goal, is the a1c. make that normal, life will be OK long-term.

all types are 'genetic'. type 1 you cannot hide from. type 2 you may hide from if you exercise a lot
and stay trim and eat well.

the secret to it all is a blood glucose meter and test test test test when you are first diagnosed, and dial in
your routine and keep your a1c down. and keep testing.

----

my last 5 a1c's were 5.4, 5.6, 5.6, 5.4, 5.6 which is pretty good for a type 1
normal person is between 4-6

----
I use novolog pens and levemir pens.
----
I keep glucose tabs everywhere, just in case. going really low is a ghastly feeling. but you
pop some sugar or drink a coke, and 20 minutes later, after being soaking in sweat and feeling
crappy, it is like nothing ever happened at all. I have not had anyone need to hit me with
the glucagon yet. hopefully never. I hear it takes DAYS to recover from one of those shots.

---------------

it is a myth that needles hurt. I am telling you, I use 33g needles... finer than an eyelash. only once in
20 shots does it hurt when I stab myself. and then you squeeze in the dose. only 1 in 10 times does
that 'burn' a little. just go slow. you really get used to it. the only hassle with shots is keeping the
insulin out of the heat so it doesn't go bad (take it with you in the car in a cooler or tote with a temperature
gauge). and keeping 1 tube of glucose tabs around you at all times. that is it. kinda like getting
hit by a bus when you are first diagnosed, but later on, if you take it seriously enough, it is a minor
hassle. OK..I will say that one time in a hundred I just happen to hit a nerve and it kills like all holy-hell
and I have to yank out immediately and find a new spot. and one time in 1000 that new spot hurts the
same. those are magical days lemme tell you.

the pump is a whole 'nother thing. I can't stand wearing a watch, so you think I could wear a pump ? no way

but I do not need a pump since A) I don't mind shots and B) my a1c is low

for those who need or choose a pump, they have more control than I do about the actual current
'load', so to speak, of insulin on-board (they do not use long-term insulin like levemir, it is all short term)
and as long as they are ok wearing a device:

they only have to deal with 1 prick every couple-of-days
they still need to test glucose constantly
they have more freedom at odd times when deciding to eat or not eat something
they can control a1c better when used in combination with lots of blood sugar testing
if they are 'brittle diabetics' a pump can solve that. and get them to stop going too low
or too high.

-------------------------
final note: there is a lot of misinformation or inaccurate info on the intertubes about this subject.

there is 1 golden rule: each individual is different, and the only real answer for any 1 persons
diabetic condition and how to control it is:

the goal is a normal persons a1c: 4-6

you must work with an endocrinologist initially to dial in your prescriptions and get your a1c down
(actually you only need to use a glucose meter and your brain)
you must take it seriously and not skip off or cheese-out your diet. sure you won't feel bad immediately,
but if you do not take it seriously every day, later on in life you will have kidney damage, and other
bad effects which will cramp your lifestyle or kill you

every one is different and will have 1 formula which works only for them.

Last edited by 127.0.0.1; 03-28-2010 at 07:52 PM.
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #13
TwoBearWisconsin

Drives: 2010 Yaris LB/5, 1996 Miata
No one in my family is diabetic, but I have a cat who is. He was diagnosed about 3 years ago. I have to give him insulin shots twice a day.
TwoBearWisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 04:08 PM   #14
fluke_boy

Drives: 2010 Yaris 3 dr hb
TYpe 2 diabetic. I'm hating it every day since I was diagnosed in 2001. And I hate testing my glucose level with those damned pin pricks.
fluke_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #15
jjonrofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAV912 View Post
Checkin' in. Type 1, diagnosed 2 weeks after my 16th birthday. It was but like any other case, had to learn to adapt to it.

Was on shots/pens until 18 and a pump since then. I'm almost 24 now, so it's been nearly 10 years. Shudder to think of it.

-SAV
Ah, I'm on pens right now as well. What kind of pump are you on? I was going to get the Omnipod but there is a new pump, Solo Pump, coming out which I tried and am in love with. It's FDA approved but not out yet, expected in April/May. Check it out
Old 03-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
jjonrofl

127.0.0.1- wow, your A1cs are seriously in the 5s? Are you low like, always?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:20 PM   #17
jjonrofl

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluke_boy View Post
TYpe 2 diabetic. I'm hating it every day since I was diagnosed in 2001. And I hate testing my glucose level with those damned pin pricks.
Have you tried meters with smaller blood samples? that way, you can subsequently use a lighter prick and not "milk" as much for blood.

Or, have you tried in your arm? I tried once. Didn't work for me, but works for others
Old 03-28-2010, 07:44 PM   #18
Banned

Drives: '10 Yaris5drHB+99 4runner LTD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjonrofl View Post
127.0.0.1- wow, your A1cs are seriously in the 5s? Are you low like, always?
my a1c's are as stated
----
low ?
yes no maybe sorta

I hit the 50's at lot if I don't eat all day, and need to top off

it is common for me wake up at night and have to munch 3 or 4 tabs
usually after a killer bike ride (I race bicycles)

I'd rather do that than have an a1c any higher.
want to live a long time and be a cranky old fart
I got the cranky, the fart, I want to increase the 'old'
127.0.0.1 is offline   Reply With Quote