Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 10-02-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Lowering or Not?

I asked this type of question in another topic, but I wanted to ask a few questions a different way to get responses from those who know.

Right now I have stock suspension and 205/40/17 tires on.

1) If I put on lowering springs, what about speed bumps, frozen ice chunks on the road in winter, or anything else scraping with the tires I have on now?

2) If I buy 205/50/17 tires, can I achieve sort of the same look as lowering the car (filling up the wheel well space more) without actually lowering it?

3) If I do lower the car, will I have more problems down the road with the car?

4) If I get the MI lowering springs, what would be the highest profile tire I could go with without rubbing?

Thanks in advance. I love the lowered look, but basically am worried about being too low for the road in reality. It snows and we have ice a lot here in Kentucky, and I have to drive this car year-round.
Old 10-02-2010, 10:12 AM   #2
sickpuppy1

Drives: 2010 Yaris Sedan
I'd love to do the same thing on my sedan (after my wife gets a new job,LOL) My biggest reason not too? I have a tendancy to pull too close to parking lot logs or curbs when I pull in to a parking spot. I hear it scrape a little now. Afraid I'd be banging up the front end if I lower it. We get a fair amount of snow here too......
Old 10-06-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
im new to this forum and to the yaris, but i gots little over 10 years modding and tracking a crx. id thought id share some of my input since nobody has posted anything yet to your questions.

1) depends on what setup u run i think. if u do it right with shocks and springs i your wheel travel will be shorter and u wont have the comfy ride you used to. but if you go springs only, u will eventually wear out the stock shocks and end up hearing a *thud* over every bump u hit. also, by running such a low profile tire like u are. your chances of hitting a pot hole, bump or chuck of ice will possibly bend ur rim reguardless of suspension

2) u say u got those tires on now. what is your opinion on the fender to wheel gap? do you like it.. or do u feel it should go lower.

3) again, this depends on if you go the cheap route or the right way. if you do, i would get camber bolts for the front to adjust your camber after you lower it to your desired height. get shocks AND springs or go the easier route and get straight up coilovers. as far as the rear is concered for camber, im not sure how that works.. i havent lowed my yaris yet and being a straight beam from hub to hub i dont know if you need camber adjustments.. im sure if you look around you will find your answer.

4) not sure on this one. depends on how low u go and the offset of your rims u got. trial and error is how i did it. with coilovers, you can adjust how low u can go and then adjust camber.

and sickpuppy.. if you have a problem doing taht.. i dont suggest u lower your car.. lol.. just some advice.. u gotta be aware of your surroundings and the parameters of you car when u lower it..

my 2 cents..
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisj View Post
... It snows and we have ice a lot here in Kentucky, and I have to drive this car year-round.
In that case, I would not lower your daily driver. If it's just for appearance, get taller tyres. IMHO 205/40/17's are too darn short for stock suspension; not only do they look silly, but there is greater risk for wheel damage.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #5
chrisj
Hooch Brewer-Shine Sipper

Drives: 2009 5-dr LB
Thanks for the info... ilikerice...I like that name! lol

Before I made any purchases for my car, I def had not done enough research. I looked on here and took about 1/2 the information I needed and went out and bought stuff. If I had it to do over, I would not have gotten those 40's.

Next tires...higher profile. Thanks to all who answered.

I might go to 205/50/17 next.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
ilikerice

Drives: 2010 black yaris
yea.. i run 50 series on all my cars. any bigger, look like monster truck tires lol... 45s are really pushing it..
ilikerice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:34 PM   #7
pspeezy

Drives: 09 Yaris Sedan
lowering my car is something i want to do as well in the near future, i was looking at the DIY threads and it is definately something i know i cannot do hahah, how much do you think it would cost around if i were to go get it done at a shop? i have a feeling i will be overpriced if i get it done at a shop
pspeezy is offline   Reply With Quote