Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #199
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
I see, I see. One other quick question. If I don't have all the wiring for this from the ECM, do you think I will have to do anything to get the brake switch to work, or will it already be programmed to turn off the cruise control when I hit the break? And I didn't see the plug for the clutch switch near where the switch goes...will I have to wire that once I buy the actual switch and take the jumper out?

Last edited by nickhjort; 05-03-2009 at 02:28 PM.
nickhjort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 02:54 PM   #200
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
I see, I see. One other quick question. If I don't have all the wiring for this from the ECM, do you think I will have to do anything to get the brake switch to work, or will it already be programmed to turn off the cruise control when I hit the break? And I didn't see the plug for the clutch switch near where the switch goes...will I have to wire that once I buy the actual switch and take the jumper out?
If your Yaris has the brake switch, then your OK, as there is only one.

For the clutch switch, if this works, then you'll have to snake a wire from the under hood fuse box to the clutch switch and wire it yourself.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #201
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinlamothe View Post
I ended up getting it off ... I meant using the torque wrench as a breaker bar of sorts to give me leverage... and it worked.
If you were really using a torque wrench as a breaker bar, you should know that this is a bad practice - it could make the torque wrench inaccurate (at least), or even destroy it. It's a much better idea to get an actual breaker bar. The one shown is likely bigger than you need, but they are available in a variety of sizes.

Last edited by Sir A.Y. Atoyot; 07-27-2010 at 05:01 PM.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 06:41 PM   #202
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Ok...so the first test didn't go so hot. I have some pics...

So I started the car and the airbag light was on...duh...I don't have the passenger side plugged in. I pulled out the driveway nice and easy so as not to tip over my speedometer. I hit 40mph and press that "on" button...pop! There goes a fuse and all my dash lights start coming on and the "cool" light is blinking, and the car is boggin down. It didn't stall, but it wouldn't go faster. SO I pulled over and started checking fuses. My 7.5A Ignition fuse blew. Now I'm not sure if something crossed or what. I checked and double checked all my connections. Not bare wires, nothin'. I changed the fuse and everything was fine...safe to say I didn't try testing it again on the way home :)

Here's what I did:
I tapped the #40 pin on the ECM connector "A21" and ran the wire through the firewall and spliced it with the red wire from the switch setup.
Then I took a jumper...with a fuse... and jumped from the blue wire CTScott showed me in the engine compartment fuse box, but the white wire wasn't where it should be, but it was just to ground it. So I jumped it to another white wire that grounded (according to my multimeter touching the white wire and the frame...0 resistance) Anyway, I have no idea why it tripped the ingnition fuse. Please help me with any ideas. I hope i didn't fcuk up the ECM by blowing the fuse. Everything seemed perfectly fine when I replaced it. HELP! :(
Old 05-03-2009, 06:59 PM   #203
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
If you were really using a torque wrench as a breaker bar, you should know that this is a bad practice - it could make the torque wrench inaccurate (at least), or even destroy it.
When I was reading his post about using a torque wrench to loosen a bolt, all I could think was "somebody's dad is gonna be PISSED"
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #204
CtrlAltDefeat
I ♥ Yaris

Drives: Black 08 LB MT & red 97 Miata
The more I read, the less i want to do this lol Maybe if someone does it and gets it right with a good diy...

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure
and the intelligent are full of doubt. - Bertrand Russell
CtrlAltDefeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 07:39 PM   #205
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

That's what I'm saying now :) I might wait and finish after someone smarter than me does it and includes nice pics to follow haha!
Old 05-03-2009, 07:45 PM   #206
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
Ditto for me. I have the 09 and bought the OEM stalk, but mine's a 5 spd. so I'm worried about the clutch switch install
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:30 PM   #207
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:

So I started the car and the airbag light was on...duh...I don't have the passenger side plugged in. I pulled out the driveway nice and easy so as not to tip over my speedometer. I hit 40mph and press that "on" button...pop! There goes a fuse and all my dash lights start coming on and the "cool" light is blinking, and the car is boggin down. It didn't stall, but it wouldn't go faster. SO I pulled over and started checking fuses. My 7.5A Ignition fuse blew. Now I'm not sure if something crossed or what. I checked and double checked all my connections. Not bare wires, nothin'. I changed the fuse and everything was fine...safe to say I didn't try testing it again on the way home :)

Here's what I did:
I tapped the #40 pin on the ECM connector "A21" and ran the wire through the firewall and spliced it with the red wire from the switch setup.
Then I took a jumper...with a fuse... and jumped from the blue wire CTScott showed me in the engine compartment fuse box, but the white wire wasn't where it should be, but it was just to ground it. So I jumped it to another white wire that grounded (according to my multimeter touching the white wire and the frame...0 resistance) Anyway, I have no idea why it tripped the ingnition fuse. Please help me with any ideas. I hope i didn't fcuk up the ECM by blowing the fuse. Everything seemed perfectly fine when I replaced it. HELP! :(

I think your in the wrong pin on the ECU:

This is the Wire harness side view looking into the connector from the pins:

I think you're mirror imaged across the center divider:
Old 05-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #208
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Oh, and the white that you jumper the clutch switch wire to is indeed the one I meant, so you're OK there...
Old 05-03-2009, 08:36 PM   #209
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Ok i see that now that I look at the pic. You had one more white one in with the brown one huh? And I see I was looking at the wrong side of the connector...duh. Anyway I'm gunna try that other pin in the ecm and try again tomorrow. Thanks a lot we'll see what happens :)

Last edited by nickhjort; 05-03-2009 at 08:50 PM.
nickhjort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 08:53 PM   #210
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ok i see that now that I look at the pic. You had one more white one in with the brown one huh? Anyway I'm gunna try that other pin in the ecu and try again tomorrow. Thanks a lot we'll see what happens :)
Sorry about the confusion on that. I didn't realize until I dropped the pic on the computer that the white I meant was hidden and the other white was right there in the foreground.

I was just tracing the 7.5A IGN fuse and I think that the pin you are on, on the ECM, is hot, so when you hit the switch it grounded it and popped the fuse, as that fuse feeds parts of the ECM.

By the way, before you road test with the correct pin, try the ON button in the driveway to be safe. I can hit the on with the ignition on and engine off and the cruise light comes on. Obviously you won't be able to tell if cruise is actually working, but at least you'll know if you pop a fuse.
Old 05-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #211
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Quote:

Here's what I did:
I think that you identified #40 correctly on your first picture, but got turned around somehow with the plug - I could be wrong, but I think that you inserted your jumper in #29.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:34 PM   #212
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

It is possible!!

Yes, yes people it's all coming together now. I did get turned around and had it in pin 29, not pin 40. I couldn't wait till tomorrow, got my flash light and just cruised the town without touching the gas pedal :) It works! I did test the button just before I left, and the fuse didn't pop. So my second road test was a success. Thank you all for your help and if anyone else with the 07 liftback is gunna do this I can try to help as much as I can. Running wires all the way to the ECM is a pain in the arse, but it's totally worth it. If anyone needs anymore pictures let me know and I'll try to take them tomorrow.

All I need to do now is find out a way to make my LED light up when it's on. And run wires for the clutch switch which I will be buying later this week. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:40 PM   #213
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Awesome! I'll design a circuit for the LED. It will probably require changing the on/of switch to a DPDT switch, as the LED circuit will have to be controlled by the switch, rather than the ECM.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:41 PM   #214
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Quote:
Yes, yes people it's all coming together now. I did get turned around and had it in pin 29, not pin 40. I couldn't wait till tomorrow, got my flash light and just cruised the town without touching the gas pedal :) It works! I did test the button just before I left, and the fuse didn't pop. So my second road test was a success. Thank you all for your help and if anyone else with the 07 liftback is gunna do this I can try to help as much as I can. Running wires all the way to the ECM is a pain in the arse, but it's totally worth it. If anyone needs anymore pictures let me know and I'll try to take them tomorrow.

All I need to do now is find out a way to make my LED light up when it's on. And run wires for the clutch switch which I will be buying later this week. Any input on that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for being the guinea pig - this will certainly help me install in my '08.
Old 05-03-2009, 10:50 PM   #215
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

You don't think the wires going to the speedo and stuff has the cruise wire in it even though I don't have cruise indicator...? That would be much easier :)
Old 05-03-2009, 11:03 PM   #216
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
You don't think the wires going to the speedo and stuff has the cruise wire in it even though I don't have cruise indicator...? That would be much easier :)
Unfortunately not. The microcontroller for the combination meter gets the cruise status from the ECM over the CAN bus.

The only possibility that I can see is that the microcontroller appears to drive all of the status LEDs via a 4-bit multiplexer. It is possible that the micro is programed to support the LED, but has not connection to it. If you want to disassemble your meter and take some pictures of the PCB I can take a look.