Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2009, 05:39 PM   #235
MGargano

Drives: 2009 Yaris Hatchback
If I'm using the OEM stalk method on an '09, is it just plug & play? I know I need the cruise control clutch switch but I'm wondering if there are any other wires/connections I need to make to get it working.
MGargano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 05:57 PM   #236
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGargano View Post
If I'm using the OEM stalk method on an '09, is it just plug & play? I know I need the cruise control clutch switch but I'm wondering if there are any other wires/connections I need to make to get it working.
No - That's it. For an 09 AT, it's just mount and plug in the stalk and you're done. For 09 MT, same plus mount and plug in the clutch switch. No running of any additional wires on either.
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:48 PM   #237
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
Ok i did a bit of scratching on my own, btw great pics of the meter, i think i killed two birds with one stone. First it is my belief that the 07 meters are not even programmed for cruise because there is not even a connector for the LED and no trace for it either. you do not have a tach am i correct Nick? therefore the icon should be under the speedo needle to the right of it and from the pics i see none. So Scott i don't think that checking the shift registers will do anything if the controller doesn't have the program that will allow it to send the signal to the icon.

Second some of you may remember this i was trying to figure out a way to switch from metric to mph and vice versa, well thanks to your pics Nick i came to the conclusion that this also is not possible to "hack", I read the Repair manual Meter section and the only way to switch this is through the Intelligent tester.

here is the list of things that can be Customized through the intelligent tester:
Display (Item) Default Contents Setting
KEY REMIND SOUND SLOW Changes key reminder buzzer
intervals FAST / NORMAL / SLOW
LIGHT REMIND ON Turns light reminder buzzer ON
and OFF ON / OFF
SEAT BELT WARN D/P ON Turns seat belt warning buzzer
ON and OFF D/P ON / D ON / P ON / D/P OFF

UNITS BY REGION Different for every region Changes drive monitor display
units
KM/L JP / KM/L / ML/G US / ML/
G UK / KM/G

I realize that the LED is not there and that there is a good chance that the microcontroller is not programmed to support the cruise LED, but two days ago I would have said the same for the ECM, when he found that the wire didn't exist in pin 40, and the cruise clutch switch wiring didn't exist.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:16 PM   #238
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
so what do we do?
I say check the shift register output for the heck of it, as I don't believe that all 16 outputs are in use.
Old 05-04-2009, 09:42 PM   #239
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
Just as a side note, I think it would be worthwhile if a mod re-named this thread to something like "DIY Cruise Control how-to, 2007-2009".

The current thread title won't be helpful in future searches :D
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:13 PM   #240
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
No - That's it. For an 09 AT, it's just mount and plug in the stalk and you're done. For 09 MT, same plus mount and plug in the clutch switch. No running of any additional wires on either.
Is there a DIY for mounting/wiring the clutch switch? I haven't gotten it yet so I'm not even sure what it looks like/where to put it.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:00 PM   #241
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Is there a DIY for mounting/wiring the clutch switch? I haven't gotten it yet so I'm not even sure what it looks like/where to put it.
Take a look at this DIY on installing cruise on a Matrix. It shows the Clutch Switch installation:

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?ac...r&f=23&t=71247
Old 05-04-2009, 11:29 PM   #242
MGargano

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
Take a look at this DIY on installing cruise on a Matrix. It shows the Clutch Switch installation:

http://matrixowners.com/index.php?ac...r&f=23&t=71247
Looks like the plug for this switch should already be hanging somewhere under the dash, if I'm reading this correctly. Seems pretty straight forward.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:36 PM   #243
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Looks like the plug for this switch should already be hanging somewhere under the dash, if I'm reading this correctly. Seems pretty straight forward.
Correct. Plug is hanging there. Remove bolt, screw in switch, plug in connector.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:52 PM   #244
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
Alright you guys, I'm home and I used my Cruise Control to and from work...it was GREAT! Definatly worth the trouble. But of course right now it's kind of a pain to always be wondering "Did I turn it on yet? Is it on or off right now? I sure wished this LED worked." :)

I just got done reading all these replies. I will definatly take the meter apart again and check all those pins "just for the heck of it," cause it will be nice if that works out. But if not we'll have to figure something else out.

PK198105, no I don't have the tach in the combination meter, but I did install one aftermarket...I think that doesn't effect this process. And I do also see many empty solder points on the PCB...LED's, IC's and some other stuff.

Also, I didn't see the clutch switch wire hanging down under the dash, but I will search again just to make sure.

Anyway, I probably won't have any time to do this until saturday, so hang in there guys and I will keep checking in here everyday to see what's shakin'. I will post more pics on saturday with my results from the voltage tests. Thanks guys!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #245
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhjort View Post
Alright you guys, I'm home and I used my Cruise Control to and from work...it was GREAT! Definatly worth the trouble. But of course right now it's kind of a pain to always be wondering "Did I turn it on yet? Is it on or off right now? I sure wished this LED worked." :)

I just got done reading all these replies. I will definatly take the meter apart again and check all those pins "just for the heck of it," cause it will be nice if that works out. But if not we'll have to figure something else out.

PK198105, no I don't have the tach in the combination meter, but I did install one aftermarket...I think that doesn't effect this process. And I do also see many empty solder points on the PCB...LED's, IC's and some other stuff.

Also, I didn't see the clutch switch wire hanging down under the dash, but I will search again just to make sure.

Anyway, I probably won't have any time to do this until saturday, so hang in there guys and I will keep checking in here everyday to see what's shakin'. I will post more pics on saturday with my results from the voltage tests. Thanks guys!

Sounds good. I have a circuit design in my back pocket for making the LED work, without changing to a dual pole switch, in case we need it...
Old 05-05-2009, 10:27 AM   #246
nickhjort
My R1 eats my Vitz!!

Drives: '07 Vitz Lifty, Stick Shift
Nice.
Old 05-05-2009, 05:46 PM   #247
MGargano

Any ideas on where I can find a steering column cover that already has the opening for the cruise stalk? My car's basically brand new and I don't wanna mess up the OEM cover if I can help it.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:50 PM   #248
MGargano

Quote:
try a scrap yard. you might get lucky and find one there if not there is always the dealership
Anybody know the part #?
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 PM   #249
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
i thought the cruise came through the steering wheel, not the column cover?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 11:06 PM   #250
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Cover, Steering Wheel Boss, Lower: 45184-52130-B0

This is for one that has factory cruise control, (and it is the plastic back of the wheel, not the column cover).
Old 05-05-2009, 11:18 PM   #251
MGargano

Ohh so it's actually the back of the steering wheel, not the column cover? Doh! This fits & color matches the US 09?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #252
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Quote:
Ohh so it's actually the back of the steering wheel, not the column cover? Doh! This fits & color matches the US 09?
Yes.