Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-22-2018, 07:26 AM   #1
Ronnie V

Drives: 04 3dr HB and 04 5dr RS
A quick warning about Ebay......

To whom it may concern,

I recently sold an item on Ebay. The Buyer complained that it was not what he bought even though it is the exact item in the pictures.

Long story short Ebay refunded his money and charged me for the return. I never got my item back.

Ebay has no respect or regard for the sellers on their site. There is no protection from abusive buyers.

Never sell anything on Ebay, you will lose your item and they will charge you for it according to THEIR return policy if the buyer decides for any reason they do not want your item AFTER having received it.

Sellers beware.

Last edited by Ronnie V; 09-22-2018 at 08:04 AM.
Ronnie V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 07:49 AM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Wow, good to know and thanks for the heads up. I've never sold anything on ebay as I've always been able to sell it on kijiji, this will make me think twice about Ebay

In my experience I've found PayPal has a much better practice in how they decide who is at fault. They do their due diligence on how the item was advertised before picking a side. However that won't help in this case when the item was sold on ebay
Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #3
mazilla
advocatus diaboli

Drives: 07 Yaris hatch
I sell everything "for parts only" with "no returns" so far i seems to be working.

My odometer 03/11
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/b...a/2843ed85.jpg
mazilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:07 AM   #4
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
To who it may concern,

I recently sold an item on Ebay. The Buyer complained that it was not what he bought even though it is the exact item in the pictures.

Long story short Ebay refunded his money and charged me for the return. I never got my item back.

Ebay has no respect or regard for the sellers on their site. There is no protection from abusive buyers.

Never sell anything on Ebay, you will lose your item and they will charge you for it according to THEIR return policy if the buyer decides for any reason they do not want your item AFTER having received it.

Sellers beware.
Sorry to hear about your experience. It's infuriating. No doubt there is a lot of unethical scumbags out there.

EBay is becoming a bit of a gamble for both sellers and buyers.

The internet is rife with stories of sellers being ripped off; probably moreso than buyers.

I believe that there are scammers that create listings that basically mirrior legit listings and offer the item at a lower price. Buyer pays, nothing arrives, listing disappears and opens up under another fake seller. Bots are used to boost seller feedback ratings.

Although Amazon is better, there are scams on there too.

From my experience, and reading, both entities are more profit-driven and less into buyer/seller protection than they claim to be.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-22-2018 at 08:25 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 08:16 AM   #5
Ronnie V

The truly sad part is I have been on Ebay since 2003 and have bought and sold many items with great success, and then this happened.

so for about $350 they now have lost a 15+ year customer forever........they would have made far more than that over the next many years from me but again, they have no idea about customer service or policy making.

Based on their stock value YTD it's clear I am not the only person to feel this way. I look forward to their continued failure.

I have used Amazon quite a bit, not bad. They are getting all my Ebay money now.

mazilla, NEVER accept returns of any kind in your listings. This is KEY, I am not sure if it will save you but its the root of my problems. If Ebay thinks a buyer is unhappy they will refund their money and go after you for it.

Trev, how was last night?
Old 09-22-2018, 09:14 AM   #6
Ronnie V

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
From my experience, and reading, both entities are more profit-driven and less into buyer/seller protection than they claim to be.
THIS! So true.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:52 AM   #7
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie V View Post
The truly sad part is I have been on Ebay since 2003 and have bought and sold many items with great success, and then this happened.
Yeah, I've been a member for 10 years, have bought 222 items and the few scams I've fell victim to, maybe 4 - 5, have all been in the last couple years. The proliferation of questionable listings seems to have increased substantially in recent years. Not a substantial data set, but definitely gives me the feeling that things are going to s**t. It's too bad because eBay (USA) is my go-to for affordable/available parts and other items.

I'm actually expecting a package later today. I was looking for a particular part. I found an old expired listing from eBay on Google. The item was sold out. I messaged the seller asking if they had any more of the item. They said, "Yes, how many do you need?". The next day a few listings for the item appeared under different sellers. Because I was not having luck finding this part elsewhere at a reasonable price, I gambled and purchased. We shall see if I luck out or it becomes my 6th eBay fail.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-22-2018 at 10:04 AM.
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 12:23 PM   #8
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
I take you at your word. I however just recently dealt with the same thing from the other side. Bought an item on eBay, listing was perfect, exactly what I was looking for. Item arrives, it's not what was advertised. It's a "special edition" version with specs different from the standard edition. It's exactly what I DO NOT want and was not mentioned by the seller. Seller listed item as "returns not accepted". So after a little back and forth with the seller I decide to escalate with eBay. Next thing I know I have a return shipping label and my money is refunded. I saw the same listing up again a few weeks later.

Annoying and especially so because I had used an eBay coupon which wasn't refunded. I have had that happen on two other occasions as well.

I have been on eBay since 2001. I used to sell in the early days but haven't sold anything in years now. Craigslist is simpler and free. I do still buy occasionally if I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else but in the last several years I have had quite a few problems with unethical sellers. You are right, the scams have definitely increased.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Just like any 'business endeavor', shrinkage/fraud is unfortunately a part of the overhead, and seller protection policies on eBay, PayPal, etc. have traditionally always favored the buyer to a retarded degree, based on some personal experience.

I have 1189 seller transaction on my eBay account as of today, and over $30K in transaction sales since I started the account in 1999. All but about 100 of those sales transactions were between 1999 & 2010, however. I have had about a half-dozen 'bad sales' to unscrupulous buyers in all those years, and I know what it feels like to be shafted by eBay & PayPal - but luckily is was the rare exception rather than the rule. I have lost less than $300 in those years from sales transactions, so my loss due to shrinkage/fraud has been less than 1%. I count myself lucky in that regard.

Once upon a time, Ebay had a smaller, better community of buyers & sellers, just like MMORPG games used to have better online communities prior to around 2008-2010. Something has changed with the internet, social media & society in general over the last 10 years that isn't flattering or favorable. I rarely sell or buy off eBay any more. Same with Amazon. They have become a cesspool of both low-quality, ethically challenged sellers & buyers IMO. They are just a reflection of the modern world & society though, sadly enough.

-

Last edited by Kalispel; 09-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2018, 04:52 PM   #10
Ronnie V

Kalispel, your last paragraph couldn't ring more true. Society is getting worse at an exponential rate.

It's good to know that even if in my listing I had of listed it as "returns not accepted" Ebay still would have stepped in and issued the buyer a refund.

The main issue is I am in Canada and the buyer was in the USA. He just kept insisting for me to send a return shipping label. I can not physically do this as I would have needed a valid US Address. I was told by Ebay to ask him to get a quote for return shipping and then I should paypal him the money for the return shipping. He refused to do that and then the time ran out on the case. Refund issued by Ebay to the Buyer and he has no reason to send back my item. So he got the item and a refund.

My last 2 emails to Ebay about the fact he would not co-operate went unanswered. After calling them I was told that the time limit for filing an appeal had passed. I had no idea there was a time limit on good customer service.

I think I was most upset about the many hours wasted in trying to resolve it.

Anyways, if I can help one person not forfeit their item to a opportunistic buyer and then have to pay for it GREAT.

I am sure Ebay will continue to suffer if they do not change any of their policies, which they will not. This thought makes me smile.

Ron