Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > Canada
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-31-2008, 07:13 PM   #1
jgag123

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris sedan
What's with ABS?

The first ABS equipped cars came out few decades ago, have seen it in West Germany.
Some auto makers still not there yet to make it work right?
What's up with this?
We are entering to 2009 and still can't build basic thinks right.

Read the facts, it's from Wikipedia:

Early ABS
Anti-lock braking systems were first developed for aircraft in 1929, by the French automobile and aircraft pioneer, Gabriel Voisin, as threshold braking an airplane is nearly impossible. An early system was Dunlop's Maxaret system, introduced in the 1950s and still in use on some aircraft models.

A fully mechanical system saw limited automobile use in the 1960s in the Ferguson P99 racing car, the Jensen FF and the experimental all wheel drive Ford Zodiac, but saw no further use; the system proved expensive and, in automobile use, somewhat unreliable. However, a limited form of anti-lock braking, utilizing a valve which could adjust front to rear brake force distribution when a wheel locked, was fitted to the 1964 Austin 1800.

Chrysler, together with the Bendix Corporation, introduced a true computerized three-channel all-wheel antilock brake system called "Sure Brake" on the 1971 Imperial.[1] It was available for several years thereafter, functioned as intended, and proved reliable. General Motors introduced the "Trackmaster" rear-wheel (only) ABS as an option on their Rear-wheel drive Cadillac models in 1971.[2][3] Ford also offered a system called "Sure Trak"[when?] on the Lincoln Continental Mark III and the Ford LTD station wagon.[citation needed]

Modern ABS
In 1975, Robert Bosch took over a European company called Teldix (contraction of Telefunken and Bendix) and all the patents registered by this joint-venture and took advantage out of this acquisition to build the base of the system introduced on the market some years later. The German firms Bosch and Mercedes-Benz had been co-developing anti-lock braking technology since the 1970s, and introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978. ABS Systems based on this more modern Mercedes design were later introduced on other cars and on motorcycles.

ABS brakes on a BMW motorcycle In 1988 BMW became the world's first motorcycle manufacturer to introduce an electronic/hydraulic ABS system, this on their BMW K100. In 1992 Honda launched its first ABS system, this on the ST1100 Pan European. In 1997 Suzuki launched its GSF1200SA (Bandit) with ABS.

HMMM!!! Interesting.

" introduced the first completely electronic 4-wheel multi-channel ABS system in trucks and the Mercedes-Benz S-Class in 1978."

If the today’s manufacturers do not know how to make it right after 30 years of research and experience, then should not offer ABS as an option.

Come on now, even Toyota can't do it right, it is called #1 car manufacturer.

Or is it not?!

Last edited by jgag123; 12-31-2008 at 07:27 PM.
jgag123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 08:59 PM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
im honestly not sure what the point of this thread is...
Old 12-31-2008, 11:20 PM   #3
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Good, so it wasn't just me.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM   #4
Shroomster
'07 to '12:2 wipers to 1?

Drives: '12 5-door LE & '14 5-door LE
what is the point?
Shroomster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 02:47 PM   #5
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
maybe they wanted to triple their post count?
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I'm gonna take a stab in the dark and answer with letter "c"
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:27 PM   #7
Treyz
~ ambient one ~

Drives: 2009 Bayou Yaris Liftback
I'll be nice about it ... I dislike ABS. Never owned a car with them.

ambientlifestyle.com------------ambientlifestyle.ning.com

Micro Image
Store - Network - Online
microimageonline.com------------microimage.ning.com
Treyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #8
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Well anti lock brake system is only supose to come on in a brake lockup situation. In defense to your post abs system is perfected its usually the driver that does not know what to do in a lockup situation. You do not pump the pedal while in a lockup situation but push down and hold the brake pedal as hard as you can while the abs takes over the braking for you by pumping the pedal extremele fast till it detects that there is no longer a lockup situation OR you take your foot off the brake which allows the wheels to spin again and turns off abs.

Although most poeple if its a panic stop situation your brains first reaction is the press the brake pedal too the floor as hard as you can and hold it.

Ive been in a few accidents in my lifetime and i can say if i had abs I would have avoided every single one of them. One time a lady cut me off this is going downhill off a bridge in the rain. I hit my brakes and started to skid slowly down the hill. I turnedmy wheel to the left but i kept going strait i honked at her to try to get her to move out of the way since nothing in my power could stop the car. had i had abs i would have been able to steer the car properly or even stopped in time.

Another insident i was making a lane change. Looked to my right no one was there. As i proceded to turn someone zoomed right off the freeway offramp into the lane iw as going into. It scared me and i jerked my wheel back into my original lane while braking which resulted in a wheel skid. Another isntance which could have been prevented with ABS.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 05:11 PM   #9
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
abs on my trix stopped me from sliding into a couple intersection in the winter....

i wouldnt mind abs on the yaris, but i dont mind that it DOESNT have it...

really, its just another safety system put in place for people who dont know how to drive well...
Old 01-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #10
Loren
What?

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
I've never owned a car with ABS, and it took me a while to adapt to it. My brain always told me that as soon as I feel the ABS pulsing that I couldn't brake any harder (that's the "threshold braking" that's firmly embedded in me). If you DO brake that way, as is most people's instinct, you're NOT going to decelerate as quickly as you would with non-ABS. Why? Because the ABS senses a skid long before you would and starts pulsing the pedal. If you STOP braking (either lift off of the pedal, or as I did, just hold the pedal there) at that point, you're not getting as much braking as you would with non-ABS waiting until YOU sensed a lockup. Make sense?

As someone mentioned above, if you have ABS, you need to KNOW that you have ABS and you need to "panic brake" accordingly. How? Put your foot throught the car and keep it there! Brake as hard as you possibly can and TRUST the ABS to do what it was designed to do.

If you have ABS and don't believe me, go try it in an empty parking lot. Try a stop as you "normally" would... probably some variation of trying to "threshold brake" the ABS system. After you've done that, do what I said above. JAM on the brake and hold it. You'll be surprised how much quicker you stop.

The thing to remember is that ABS does not ADD any force to your braking. If you want the car to stop right now, you need to apply as much force as you can. The ABS will prevent wheel lockup. Just do it.

Lastly, if you're feeling ABS kick in before you think it should... get better tires! If ABS is kicking in, it's because a tire is losing traction somewhere. You're either braking way harder than you need to (a lot of people do... that's why so many people get rear-ended), or you have less-than-optimal tires. Grippier tires will raise the threshold of ABS activation because they're not going to lose traction as quickly.

----------------------- Loren@InvisibleSun.org -----------------------
Loren is offline   Reply With Quote