Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
MadMax

Drives: 2008 Yaris Liftback (Sprocket)
California May Ban Black Cars

I am glad the state of California has nothing more important to worry about other than the color of cars!

Quote:
California May Ban Black Cars

Michael Arrington
TechCrunch.com
Thursday, March 26, 2009; 2:21 PM

The California legislature is considering regulating the color of cars and reflectivity of paint to reduce the energy requirements to cool them. A presentation on the proposed legislation by the California Air Resources Board is below.

The problem isn't the color per se, but the reflectivity of the paint overall. And dark colors just don't reflect well, so they are likely out. "Jet black remains an issue," says the report.

Anyone who's ever entered a very hot car knows that it can be cooled down immediately by driving a few feet with the windows open, effectively neutralizing any color-caused heat issues before engaging the air conditioner. But whatever, black is evil.

The new regulations would be phased in beginning in 2012, so if you want that black car, you better buy it soon. More on Autoblog and CrunchGear.

And you thought that black Toyota Prius you bought made you such a good person. Think again, you tree hating energy slob. Luckily, black websites are still ok, even though they, too, use more energy.
What in the hell is wrong with you people out there?

Black cars rule!
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:07 PM   #2
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
But on the flip side, Black in general reflects heat and White absorbs, so paint all cars Black and we'll stop the so called "Global Warming" crap. These dee dee dee's are realy starting to piss me off. Black FTW, woohoo!
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #3
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax View Post
I am glad the state of California has nothing more important to worry about other than the color of cars!

Black cars rule!

It's not the people that live here that are the problem, its the people that run the state (into the ground).
Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCALB SIRAY View Post
But on the flip side, Black in general reflects heat and White absorbs, so paint all cars Black and we'll stop the so called "Global Warming" crap. These dee dee dee's are realy starting to piss me off. Black FTW, woohoo!
Actually it's the other way around. Why do you think there's a huge hole in the ozone layer in the South Pole? The snow (which is white) reflects everything the sun throws at it.

Or maybe you were kidding? If so, it went over my head.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #5
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
i read this on another forum

just one more reason i would never ever live in CA and have no urge to visit even though its the next state over
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:15 PM   #6
darthbauer
Not really here...

Drives: 2008 Blazing Blue S hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post

just one more reason i would never ever live in CA and have no urge to visit even though its the next state over

That's ok, most of us feel the same way about Arizona.

jk
Old 03-27-2009, 02:17 PM   #7
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
yeah, trying to make a joke, lol...didn't work. haha
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #8
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom play View Post

Actually, we are feeling the results of California's demise, most of them are moving to Texas and are complaining about our gun laws, etc.

As such, I have a hard time believing it is the state government, especially since it is the voters that put them in office! I am not saying everyone out there is fruits and nuts; but the majority seem to be! Any state that elects Pelosi for any position of responsibility should be excommunicated from the Union!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #9
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
Quote:

Black cars rule!
It's not the people, it's these idiots we elect to run the place. Not like we have a choice anyway. Sometimes you have to choose between one person you don't like and one person you like even less, so you vote for the lesser evil.

You wouldn't believe the number of stupid laws we have around here, for real. Don't get me started! :rolleyes

But don't go blame the people who live in California. There are all kinds, with all kinds of different opinions.

By the way, there is a flaw in their argument: what if your car is black but doesn't have A/C, does it still take more energy to cool it down? I used to have a little navy blue car that was really hot in the summer, so I had to open both windows instead of just one, and I got in the habit of always bringing a little bottle of water with me. Problem solved.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #10
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darthbauer View Post
That's ok, most of us feel the same way about Arizona.

jk
Old 03-27-2009, 02:55 PM   #11
Gideon
★weeaboo★

Drives: 2008 Bayou LB

No they're not going to ban anything.

Read the presentation and think for yourself instead of reading sensationalist news.
http://www.arb.ca.gov/cc/cool-paints...ation31209.pdf
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
I know its not gonna pass(if its really even a bill), but I hope it does so I can paint my yaris black, smoke the tail lights, limo tint all around, and wait for a cop to pull me over so I can sue the state.
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 PM   #13
tomato
Super Moderator

Gideon, we're just having a little fun, it's Friday.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM   #14
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
+1 with Gideon. Did anyone bother to READ it? It says NOTHING about the color of the car. It does say something about reformulation of paints and other methods, mentioned below.

The worst "dee dee dee's" are people who don't bother to inform themselves, IMO.

Quote:
In 2006, California adopted the California Global Warming Solutions Act, also known as AB 32. This law created a comprehensive, long term plan for California to reduce greenhouse gas emissions to 1990 levels by 2020. Cool Paints was identified as an Early Action strategy, to be in place no later than January 1, 2010. This strategy is based on measures to reduce the solar heat gain in a vehicle parked in the sun. A cooler interior would make drivers less likely to activate the air conditioner, which increases carbon dioxide emissions.

Potential approaches include reformulation of paint to reflect near-infrared sunlight, parked car ventilation, and solar reflective window glazing. It is expected that cool paints, together with reflective glazing, will reduce the soak temperature of the typical vehicle parked in the sun by 5 to10 degrees celsius.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #15
arcticvitz

Drives: Base 09 White Yaris 3DR 5MT
Send a message via AIM to arcticvitz
white is a better color anyways.....hehe

Last edited by arcticvitz; 03-28-2009 at 01:25 PM.
arcticvitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:32 PM   #16
nisyota

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Sedan
I LOVE FLORIDA!!! No rules watsoevr! well except for a few noise compaints. LOL

Cali is strict, but how come most of the performance shops are in Cali... hmm
nisyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:43 PM   #17
MadMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by nisyota View Post
I LOVE FLORIDA!!! No rules watsoevr! well except for a few noise compaints. LOL
Naw, Florida cops have become the biggest pricks on the planet. I am originally from Jax, and when we go back to visit my mom I always hate driving as they will pull you over for being 5 over the speed limit. Not here in Texas, usually ten over is cool, sometimes up to 15 or more on the interstates if you're lucky...

[quoteCali is strict, but how come most of the performance shops are in Cali... hmm[/quote]

It because there are more narcissistic people in Kommiefornia than any other state in the Union. I once heard it was the only place where it was legal to have mirrored tint on the inside of your car!

Personally, I don't care what laws they pass out there on the Leftist Coast, I wouldn't step foot in that state if you paid me. The anti-gun stance they have is ridiculous, I just saw a news piece where a guy driving a WWII-vintage military Jeep that had a fake machine gun mounted on it caused several people to call 911 and they detained the owner. For God's sake, you would have to be a complete idiot not to realize this is a historic vehicle! But the next segment showed a Colonial re-enactor at the Reagan Museum and I didn't see anyone freaking out about his musket.

I've been to California before and it's a beautiful state, but the fruit and nuts have ruined it...

Cheers! M2
Old 03-28-2009, 01:46 PM   #18
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Actually, we are feeling the results of California's demise, most of them are moving to Texas and are complaining about our gun laws, etc.

As such, I have a hard time believing it is the state government, especially since it is the voters that put them in office! I am not saying everyone out there is fruits and nuts; but the majority seem to be! Any state that elects Pelosi for any position of responsibility should be excommunicated from the Union!

hmm... i like pelosi. but then again i've always wanted to live in cali.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote