Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-01-2013, 01:39 AM   #109
JoshP82
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris
hi there every one anybodyb know how to take the bottom half of the air box out, so I can have a proper look.
JoshP82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:20 AM   #110
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshP82 View Post
hi there every one anybodyb know how to take the bottom half of the air box out, so I can have a proper look.
To remove the bottom of the airbox you have to remove the entire dashboard, the metal support for the dash, and then the airbox itself. It may be easier to go into the air intake for the fan with an inspection camera if you want to take a look.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:50 AM   #111
mudslingerdude
I've made a post!

Drives: Toyota Yaris 05
Hi, ive been reading this thread as I too have an issue with water in the passenger side floorwell front and back. I am not sure if it is my AC unit as over here in the UK we rarley use aircon and my outlet drain hose looks to be clear. I have had a piece of stiff wire in the hose and it went up to the AC unit without much resistance. I wasnt sure how far to force the wire as i am not sure if I will damage something.

Also my air blows with quite a bit of force through the drain pipe when the heater is on so I am asuming the drain hose is not blocked.

The amount of water that is coming into the passenger side of the car is quite a bit, I often have a good half inch in the rear passenger well. I am suspecting its rain coming in somewhere!!!

Does anybody know any suspect places for water to get in on the 2005 Yaris models?

Thanks for your help on this one.
Mud
mudslingerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #112
geo3d
I've made a post!

Drives: plain simple silver yaris
Clogged hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTScott View Post
There are a few threads on this issue. The condensate drain hose is plugged, causing the backup. This is very common in the spring when the trees drop all of their stuff.

You can clear it yourself using something like a tiewrap (flexible plastic item). Gently insert it into the condensate tube from under the car, and the water should come gushing out.
Thanks for the tip; cleared hose with a wire hangar and here comes the water. Problem seems resolved though air is rushing in and out (not steady). Going to monitor for a few days.

Just wanted to say thanks for the tip
geo3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 02:16 PM   #113
grumpstain
I've made a post!

Drives: 08 Yaris Hatchback
Shop vac did the trick

Hey guys first time poster here. Just wanted to say that just popping off the drain hose and taking a shop vac to it for less than a second did the trick of loosening the blockage, then just drained it into a pot.

I know some people think it's annoying, but it's a very quick fix if you've got a shop vac or something with similar suction. Better than poking the blockage back up into the hose.
grumpstain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #114
Yaristrocrat
Basking in Yaris luxury

Drives: 2009 3-door liftback
Thanks!

Not really adding anything new to the discussion, but I wanted to say "Thanks" to everyone for your instructions and photos on how to deal with this problem. I just experienced it for the first time today, and using the info in this thread, I believe I've corrected the problem. I unplugged the hose and ran a hanger into it, then the water flowed forth. I plugged the hose back in and a nice pool of water soon formed under my little Bayou Blue pal. We shall see how things progress in the next few days.

Again, thanks for the help!
Yaristrocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:10 PM   #115
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
looks like my kid has a problem with this. i instructed her not to use AC or fan and avoid sharp left turns. will try a wet vac after work.
scott's picture is very helpful: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...6&postcount=22

edit: the wet vac did nothing. i also probed and removed the rubber drain hose, no water or obstruction. where is the water coming from?

Last edited by jack black; 07-20-2015 at 08:30 PM.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:16 AM   #116
jack black

Drives: 2007 red Yaris HB AT
OK, i learned about this TSB 027-08:
http://workshop-manuals.com/toyota/y...r_rear_carpet/

the fix is a new cowl panel (55708-52170) "to help prevent debris from entering the HVAC unit".
but i have a filter already, why would debris enter AC?

anyhow, has anyone done that new cowl panel fix?

BTW, the lowest i can find is $158 (before S&H) for that large piece of plastic. is it worth?

Last edited by jack black; 07-21-2015 at 11:26 AM.
jack black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 01:22 PM   #117
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
With the filter in place the cowl update is really not necessary. It would just reduce the larger particulate captured by the filter.