Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Members Area > Off-topic / Other Cars / Everything else Discussions
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-20-2006, 10:40 AM   #37
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by why?

It says the Yaris has a govenor, we will have to figure away to remove it.

It's probably electronically controlled, meaning you'd need to mess with the ECU.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 03:09 PM   #38
Idjiit
5 Stars, Bitches

Drives: Prius, Silver Yaris Liftback
Here's some power-to-weight ratios I threw together just for the hell of it, listed from "worst" to best...

Code:
Car            |	Curb	|	HP 	|	lb. per HP
Yaris LB       |	2,293	|	106	|	21.6
Yaris Sedan    |	2,293	|	106	|	21.6
Focus          |	2,627	|	136	|	19.3
Yaris Stripped |	2,037	|	106	|	19.2
Civic          |	2,593	|	140	|	18.5
Yaris SC       |	2,087	|	130	|	16.0
Mini S         |	2,679	|	168	|	15.9
Miata          |	2,474	|	170	|	14.5
WRX Wagon      |	3,252	|	230	|	14.1
Elise          |	1,984	|	190	|	10.4
The "Yaris Stripped" is with the backseats taken out, race seats and lighter wheels (using the 4 lbs per wheel pound lost calculation for unsprung weight).

The "Yaris SC" is Yaris Stripped w/Supercharger, assuming a conservative 20% power incrase.

Last edited by Idjiit; 04-20-2006 at 03:24 PM.
Idjiit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 05:36 PM   #39
jdgriswald
5-Door Envy

Drives: '08 Scion xD
Check out the Fit today

Checked out a Fit today, since they've just got to town. Was nice, but you know, if there was an apples to apples comparison, I'd would still prefer the Yaris. The fact that Toyota has watered down the U.S. version so badly, however, puts Fit in the conversation. If they at least offered a tach in the 3-door I'd still buy it over the Fit (not that that's a deal breaker).

I'm trying to convince myself I don't like the Fit with the following justifications:

It's a 5-year old design. The magic seats are rather gimicky.....Flat mode is a relative pain - you have to slide the front seats just to fold the rears down (granted there is a lever on the upper front seat for this). Long mode is useable. Relax mode....whatever. Tall mode is cool if you have a bike, or carry llamas. The spare tire cover panel, essentially the rear floor is cheap as hell press board. The same material that was in my '74 B-210 hatch that didn't hold up well even with metal reinforcements (which Fit doesn't have).....very flimsy. The rear head rests are rather large, and I don't believe they are removeable (could be wrong). The one problem I have with Hondas of late is their ricer stigma....every little Honda fanboy's got their pimped out Civic with the fart can muffler, the picnic table rear wing and the cheesy body kit, and I can only imagine how the Fit is going to draw the same crowd....no thanks.

That being said, it is a really nice car. It HAS a tach, the front seats do have more leg support, it HAS 5-doors and it's a Honda. Goddammit Toyota, quit short changing us!

The only thing on the U.S. Toyota lots that compares is the Scion xA, and I'm sorry to say, the Fit kicks it's ass despite it's higher price. If we had the 5-door Yaris RS that our friends in the rest of the world get, I think it would be another story.
jdgriswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 06:11 PM   #40
corey415

Drives: 95 Integra
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdgriswald
The rear head rests are rather large, and I don't believe they are removeable (could be wrong).

They are removable.
corey415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 07:00 PM   #41
hhcchen
stop staring my star perv

Drives: 97 tercel
ok...
the competition is officially up...
http://automobiles.honda.com/models/...?ModelName=Fit
hhcchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 09:39 PM   #42
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Just read the SCC lovefest of the Honda Fit, and they admitted one thing.

The article is by James Tate, and it is in the June issue. he states," The Fit isn't a terribly quick car (The Toyota Yaris will walk away), ...

SCC loves honda's way to much, and it is refreshing to see someone in that mag say something even remotely negative about one.

Not to mention the positive about the Yaris. Hmm, why didn't they spend a dozen or so pages about the Yaris.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:08 PM   #43
Thirty-Nine

"Walk away?" As in it's faster? It's like .2 seconds faster 0-60 and .1 second faster in the 1/4 mile. That's not my definition of getting walked on.

I'd be a driver's race in the 1/4 mile, for sure. Then again, people drag racing Fits and Yari should have better things to do with themselves. :-p
Old 04-21-2006, 08:43 AM   #44
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine
"Walk away?" As in it's faster? It's like .2 seconds faster 0-60 and .1 second faster in the 1/4 mile. That's not my definition of getting walked on.

I'd be a driver's race in the 1/4 mile, for sure. Then again, people drag racing Fits and Yari should have better things to do with themselves. :-p
Odds are the writer has had the chance to drive one on a racetrack, and that is what he is reffering too.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:55 AM   #45
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
I'm afraid to drive the Fit now...

I recently bought an xA for my wife. It's a great car, but the gearing isn't very good for highway driving (at ~65-70MPH the engine's turning 3,500RPM's). I can't bring myself to try a Fit out of fear that the Fit is a more relaxed highway cruiser.

I'm satisfying myself with the fact that I saved $2,000 - and I still like the xA's styling a little better. Has anybody driven both the xA and Fit on the highway? If so, what's the verdict?
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 12:33 PM   #46
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose
I recently bought an xA for my wife. It's a great car, but the gearing isn't very good for highway driving (at ~65-70MPH the engine's turning 3,500RPM's). I can't bring myself to try a Fit out of fear that the Fit is a more relaxed highway cruiser.

I'm satisfying myself with the fact that I saved $2,000 - and I still like the xA's styling a little better. Has anybody driven both the xA and Fit on the highway? If so, what's the verdict?
I'd like to know how the Fit is on the highway, too.

The more I look at the Fit, the less I like its USDM extended front bumpers and OEM ground effects kit. I don't mind the base version much, but you can't get cruise on the base model, I don't believe.

I think if I had to replace my wife's Civic tomorrow, I'd probably get a Polar White xA because she wants a four-door with a tach, and prefers hatchbacks.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:06 PM   #47
Goose
Car Geek

Drives: Yaris Liftback
Okay, I broke down a drove the Fit...

Here's my report on the Fit:

It's actually a very nice car. I drove a Sport version, painted metallic orange with an auto tranny and 16" Honda Factory Performance wheels. Sticker with the HFP wheels was around $18,200. What you make of the styling is your own call; for me, even with the skirts/dams/spoiler/wheels, it still wasn't bowling me over. Deciding between the Scion and the Honda interiors is also a matter of preference - I preferred the quirky central guages of the Scion as well as its seat fabric. There's no way to fault the Fit's interior, though - typical well-executed Honda quality.

Aesthetics aside, the Fit is a very nice car to drive. If you are looking for a pactical, fun car that does it all for a reasonable price you could do a lot worse. Power delivery was pretty good around town, though I still wasn't able to get it out on the highway(!) I would guess that the Fit's drivetrain is better on the highway than the Scion xA - maybe the final drive ratio? The Fit also handles more tightly than the xA. Obviously the 16" wheels/tires didn't hurt in this area, but I'll wager that even the stock Honda setup is a little more agressive than the xA.

The Fit/Scion xA choice boils down to your sense of priorities and tastes. The Fit offers a little more power, agility and space but at a higher price and in a somewhat cavernous package. The Scion xA is a little softer riding and has a bit less punch, but it's quite a bit cheaper to buy/drive and (at least for me) feels more like a small, fun little car.

In the end, either car is a good, practical, fun car.
Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 12:38 PM   #48
riceboy

Drives: icebox
Saw one up close last night in the parking lot when I went out for dinner.. it actually looks a lot nicer in person than it does in pictures.. seems smaller, although from certain angles it really does look like a mini-odyssey...
riceboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 02:28 PM   #49
stuffy

Drives: 06 yaris 5-dr le man
really? i saw one at a dealer and thought it was even uglier.
stuffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 03:57 PM   #50
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
I like the Fit Sport...I wouldn't trade my Yaris RS for it though...

The Yaris RS sport buckets blow away the Fit Sport's seats...The Fit Sport's interior matches the Yaris RS interior for niceness imo...

I'd definitely add the Fit to my "Sub-Compact Garage", it makes for a nice mini-mini-van...

So far I've got an Echo Hatchback, a Yaris RS, and would like to add a Fit Sport and a Scion xB to the mix...Why not have 4 economical cars to choose from for the price of one loaded midsize sedan...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 06:41 PM   #51
stuffy

i'd like one of those mini cooper convertibles and a smart car as well, but honda can keep the fit.
Old 05-11-2006, 08:40 AM   #52
stuffy

my buddy just ordered a fit today, i will take some comparison photos once he gets it,

then i will kick his ass in a little yaris vs fit action!
Old 05-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #53
w1ngzer0

Drives: Subaru Impreza
When they have the ridgeline and fit in the same thread you know what kind of taste these folks have. The ridgeline is the most inefficient and ugliest truck ever made. At least the tacoma and soon to be tundra have some sort of effective towing or hauling. You can't even fit a full size matress in the back of the ridgeline. Whats up with that?

Why the heck would i want to buy a Yaris type car that is priced closer to the civic model.
w1ngzer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #54
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Man the fit is expensive. 14,400 for a base model, plus taxes. That is over $2000 more than I paid for my Yaris.