Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > In Car Entertainment + Electronics (audio / video / alarm)
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-21-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Meldav86

Drives: 2007 Blzng Blue Yaris Liftback
Help with Amp Ground in Trunk

So i'm installing one amp in the trunk to power the sub, i have the power routed from the battery, all fuses are good, and the remote wire connected but the amp just won't power on. I'm almost sure it's just a bad ground. I used the bottom right bolt in the picture. I used a dremel to expose some metal. I don't know if it has anything to do with it but the bolt screws into a plastic piece. If anyone has any insight to trunk grounds please help. I think what i will try is maybe one of the seat bolts, but what kind of socket does it require as it is shaped different. Do i need torx sockets?
Meldav86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 04:40 PM   #2
jdubau55

Drives: 2007 White Yaris LB 5 Spd.
Send a message via AIM to jdubau55 Send a message via Yahoo to jdubau55
Thats where I grounded mine except on the lower left of that pic. I got the metal good and clean and had the same problem as you. So what I did was put a washer between the plastic on the ring terminal underneath. Also I took the edges off the black plastic piece that is in the edges to make sure my ring terminal touched all the way around. I didnt take all the edges off it just enough so my ring terminal would sit flush all the way around. After that I had no problems.

PS: I couldnt find a washer so my "washer" ended up being a pop can tab. Hey, it worked.
jdubau55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2007, 08:31 PM   #3
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
check one of the tail lamps ground, it may work...
Old 03-21-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
earljail

Drives: 07 Yaris Hatch 5speed
Technically, you shouldn't use a bolt for something else for the ground. I sanded down an area, drilled a hole, and used a sheet metal screw.

But I don't think your problem is the ground. Double check your remote wire to see if it's putting out (hehe). If you don't have a voltmeter, use a jumper(a small piece of wire) and hook up the remote input to the battery input on the amp.
earljail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
tekmoe
ex-yaris owner

Drives: 08 solstice gxp, 06 triumph s3
Send a message via AIM to tekmoe
had to drill a hole into the chassis. didn't sand it or anything. sub sounds great.
Old 03-22-2007, 01:31 PM   #6
Kitt

Drives: Thndr cl metallic HB 3 drs '05
Send a message via MSN to Kitt
ouch...