Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-23-2009, 12:36 AM   #1
CrazedEpidemic

Drives: 2008 Toyota Yaris Sedan
1 year maintence

I took my 08 yaris for an oil change at the dealership. They informed me that I needed over $400 in maintenance. The list they showed me was soooo long I was overwhelmed.

I thought all we had to do with new cars was get oil changes and change wipers every 6 months and change cabin air filter every year and a few other things.

I told them to just change the wipers and perform the oil change. Is there anything else you guys get done?
CrazedEpidemic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 12:40 AM   #2
supmet
Banned

Drives: 2007 4 Door Yaris
nope. I'm at 2.5 years and 70k miles - just tires, brakes, air filter, and oil changes. No problems so far. Still on my stock wipers, but they are getting pretty crappy...

The dealerships are hurting for money, they're telling everyone who comes in right now that they need thousands of dollars of crap they don't need - someone else posted something about the dealership quoting 150 dollars for the 5000 mile maintenance... ugh
supmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
Even my over priced service department doesn't charge that much. At 5,000 miles I would rotate the tires also.
Attached Images

Old 05-23-2009, 08:00 AM   #4
SilverBack
Joey

Drives: '14 Scion xD 5-speed
Send a message via AIM to SilverBack
Anything for a quick buck...

But I do agree that the brakes should be looked at during this time though, just to be safe

A forum post should be like a skirt: Long enough to cover the subject but short enough to keep things interesting.

"I don't have an anger problem. I have an idiot problem." -Hank Hill
SilverBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
I swear the Yaris weighs nothing. Im an ass driver, and I break hard at every red light. The pads stil look new.
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 10:48 PM   #6
Pars

Drives: 07 Yaris Liftback
Along with engine oil changes, I'd also keep up with transmission oil flush. Otherwise, Id only replace/fix when it's broken.

If you got the extra money and you can trust the dealership to actually do all the checks as per packaged maintenance schedule, then go ahead. I would expect Yaris owners to be tight with their money, otherwise we'd be driving a Lexus and wouldn't mind getting fleeced.
Pars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 11:27 PM   #7
jamal1984
The Beautification of Car

Drives: Toyota Yaris S
Send a message via MSN to jamal1984
i hate dealership man, i'm at 56k, just replaced oil, filters, check brakes at every 5k. And my yaris still feel like new,
jamal1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 AM   #8
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Our local stealership tried to sell me a top end cleaning, at 20,000 miles for $100, claiming it was routine maintainence. When Toyota marketing called I told them I didn't like to have the dealership try to sell me things that would likely damage my automobile. Read the maintainence manual and follow it like it is your new found religion.Suckas beware.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 AM   #9
CrazedEpidemic

Before I went in for the oil change I read the maintenance schedule and all it pretty much requires is the oil changed and tire rotations every six months/5,000 miles
Old 05-24-2009, 06:17 AM   #10
jambo101

Drives: yaris 08 sedan
My last oil change at the dealer was a $250 event as supposedly they did some kind of 100 point check up adjusting and changing lots of stuff.Worth it??If you cant prove all this maintenance was done you are giving the dealer a very large excuse to weasel out of any potential warranty work you might need in the future.
jambo101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 01:29 AM   #11
CrazedEpidemic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
My last oil change at the dealer was a $250 event as supposedly they did some kind of 100 point check up adjusting and changing lots of stuff.Worth it??If you cant prove all this maintenance was done you are giving the dealer a very large excuse to weasel out of any potential warranty work you might need in the future.
The maintenance schedule from what I can read only requires the oil changes and tire rotations to keep your warranty valid.
Old 05-25-2009, 07:29 AM   #12
voodoo22

Drives: Yaris Sedan (auto)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedEpidemic View Post
The maintenance schedule from what I can read only requires the oil changes and tire rotations to keep your warranty valid.
You're right, the other stuff is a money grab.

I didn't buy a Yaris to pay someone $52 to change my cabin air filter
voodoo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2009, 07:57 AM   #13
Bob Dog
DARK PHASE OF THE MOON

Drives: 07 liftback
Dealerships make a very large percentage of their money by fleecing suckers! Know your manual and have the guts not to let them sell you any bullshit. This is not to say you shouldn't perform real maintainence. Keeping the oil and engine air filters changed is the life of the engine, and eventual appropriate coolant changes keep things like radiators and heater cores from rotting out with the subsequent damage that is caused by leaking and overheating.

Last edited by Bob Dog; 05-25-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Bob Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:09 PM   #14
SilverGlow
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post

You got royally screwed....you should've paid under $25 for the required service....STOP trusting the stealerships....
SilverGlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #15
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoo22 View Post
You're right, the other stuff is a money grab.

I didn't buy a Yaris to pay someone $52 to change my cabin air filter
So true...my stealership wants $72 to replace the cabin air filter...for a $24 part that takes 1 minute to install.....this is no exaggeration!
Old 05-26-2009, 06:25 PM   #16
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGlow View Post
So true...my stealership wants $72 to replace the cabin air filter...for a $24 part that takes 1 minute to install.....this is no exaggeration!

I know what you guys are talking about, as I do all of my own maint. as well, however what you are paying for is not only the filter and service charges, but the experience to do the stuff right. The dealership is for people that have no idea how the car runs, just that it does and it gets them from point-a to point-b. Its the same thing where I work, when people bring their computer equipment in for service, or have me come to their office and wire the building for a network. Its because they have no idea how to do it themselves, and instead of learning and making mistakes, they would just rather have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Like how I charge 36 dollars to install a RAM stick in a computer, plus the cost of the RAM, they are paying for me to do what they do not feel comfortable doing, or do not have time, even though it is a 5 second install. And they love me for it, they trust that the job is going to get done, done right, and in a timely manner, even if it costs them almost double what they would have paid otherwise.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:12 AM   #17
firemachine69
School'er of hard knocks

Drives: Silver Yaris 4dr. HB
Alex:

Part of the problem is dealers attempt to sell unnecessary services, claiming them to be required to keep the warranty intact.

That's like you telling someone that because you installed a stick of ram, if they want to keep the stick of ram warrantied (and the rest of the PC), they have to buy a bigger, more power PSU from you, and you only.
firemachine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:04 PM   #18
SilverGlow
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexNet0 View Post
I know what you guys are talking about, as I do all of my own maint. as well, however what you are paying for is not only the filter and service charges, but the experience to do the stuff right. The dealership is for people that have no idea how the car runs, just that it does and it gets them from point-a to point-b. Its the same thing where I work, when people bring their computer equipment in for service, or have me come to their office and wire the building for a network. Its because they have no idea how to do it themselves, and instead of learning and making mistakes, they would just rather have it done by someone who knows what they are doing.

Like how I charge 36 dollars to install a RAM stick in a computer, plus the cost of the RAM, they are paying for me to do what they do not feel comfortable doing, or do not have time, even though it is a 5 second install. And they love me for it, they trust that the job is going to get done, done right, and in a timely manner, even if it costs them almost double what they would have paid otherwise.
Alex, your arguments are very week. Even if someone does not know how to service their own Yaris, at the very least they should not be charge more then $40-$50 for a minor service (5,000 mile) or even for the 10,000 or 15,000 mile service. The million things on the list of things the dealer "checks" takes seconds, and they list a million things to check in an attempt to "justify" their high cost. It's a scam! And you cannot defend what they do.

Yet idiot lemmings continue to take their cars to the stealerships...and they complain about the high cost and getting hustle, but they do it again and again. Idiots, to be sure.

If they don't know how to maintain their car, they can take the car to many other places and get the maint done for less then half of what a dealer charges.

Just today, I had to buy a battery for my 2007 Yaris HB, with 62,000 miles. All the auto parts places had no battery for my car, so I was forced to go to the stealership...they wanted 40% then everyone else for a 7 year battery, and then they wanted to charge me for 1 hourllabor to have it install...I bought the battery from them, as I needed it right now, but installed it myself in the parking lot....6 minutes for me to do the job.

In addition, the service writer was trying to convince me that I needed to replace my alternator too....$600 installed! Yet I told him that my voltometer and ampmeter both showed the alternator was cranking out 13.9 volts & 10 amps at idle, and at 2,000 RPM's 14.1 volts. All of which points to a healty alternator!

Do you see what I mean now?