Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-25-2007, 09:51 AM   #19
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavel Olavich View Post
Before you guys go through the trouble of installing an in-take system, did it ever occur to you that most of those systems on a Yaris will add a pitiful amount of HP? What, 1,2,4 HP? Before you spent your hard earned $$ on that thing, did you research this? And I don't mean by reading claims from the maker of such devices.....

I would be surprised if any one having a new in-take, if they get more then 5 HP from it....My buddy just did same for his 2007 Mazda Speed3 and the before and after Dyno showed an increase of just 6 HP....the idiot didn't do his research....after $600 installed he gained a whopping 6 HP!!!!

Save your money gents!
Thanks for your ever positive outlook Olavich. I'll bet you go around telling kids there's no Santa Claus dont you?

FYI I wasn't looking for horsepower out of this 'in-take'....and I think I said that any power gain would be a 'wee tiny' amount.

BTW Pavel accept this site as my free gift to you: http://www.freewebs.com/steven200/

Last edited by redyaris; 08-25-2007 at 10:01 AM.
redyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #20
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Very nice. I believe this is the first DIY I have seen for the intake. Was it just me or was the bolts at the bottom of the air box a pain in the @$$ to get out well at least down to.
My pleasure to provide this DIY for the Yaris. Sorry I didnt provide even more detail. I like to give back to this site which has provided me so much and has become an addiction for me.

Hopefully this will assist with future intakers.

The airbox bottom bolts were not a problem...Just had a long extension on my wrench, which the ladies love.
Old 08-25-2007, 09:33 PM   #21
Nigal

Drives: 2007 Yaris S
Quote:
Originally Posted by slvryaris View Post
Very nice. I believe this is the first DIY I have seen for the intake. Was it just me or was the bolts at the bottom of the air box a pain in the @$$ to get out well at least down to.

I hade about 2' of extentions on my socket and it still sucked donkey balls.
Nigal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:04 PM   #22
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by redyaris View Post
Thanks for your ever positive outlook Olavich. I'll bet you go around telling kids there's no Santa Claus dont you?

FYI I wasn't looking for horsepower out of this 'in-take'....and I think I said that any power gain would be a 'wee tiny' amount.

BTW Pavel accept this site as my free gift to you: http://www.freewebs.com/steven200/
Hey, if you want to live in the land of dillusion, that's your choice. It just seems really immature to add a toy to your car that probably gains 1 or 2 HP, just so you can have a "better" sound?

Back when you were 8, you added a card to your bike, so that when it drags over the spokes it made a cool motorcycle like sound. Well, it seems that you're still in that mind frame today.

You and everyone else knows damned well that your intake does effectively NOTHING for performance on your car. What a f--king waste of time, resources, and money!

Grow. Up.
Pavel Olavich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:06 PM   #23
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
What about your mind frame paval? Your posts reek of negativity.
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:08 PM   #24
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
Hey, if you want to live in the land of dillusion, that's your choice. It just seems really immature to add a toy to your car that probably gains 1 or 2 HP, just so you can have a "better" sound?

Back when you were 8, you added a card to your bike, so that when it drags over the spokes it made a cool motorcycle like sound. Well, it seems that you're still in that mind frame today.

You and everyone else knows damned well that your intake does effectively NOTHING for performance on your car. What a f--king waste of time, resources, and money!

Grow. Up.
The land of 'dillusion'? Can you explain that one? LOLOLOLOL. Give up while you're still behind Olavich.

And you still suck...hard.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:15 PM   #25
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
The land of 'dillusion'? Can you explain that one? LOLOLOLOL. Give up while you're still behind Olavich.

And you still suck...hard.
RedYaris, how many HP have you gained?
Old 08-27-2007, 12:26 PM   #26
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
RedYaris, how many HP have you gained?
Don't know and don't care. How many times do I need to answer this.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:39 PM   #27
Pavel Olavich
Banned

Quote:
Don't know and don't care. How many times do I need to answer this.

Zero times. But don't you think before you add mods, you should determine what the benefit is? I mean, even if it cost you just $10, if the mod don't do shit to improve performance, or MPG, woudln't it occur to you to not make the mod if all it does is change the intake sound? That's the point I'm trying to make....if the "benefit" is just in your head....ah, heck....why do I try to reason with a young guy like you?

Hey, I know.....add a tail pipe insert to your Yaris....just a few bucks, and I heard on the internet you'll gain 5 HP! Get the kind that flairs into two pipes, then you can claim "dual exhaust"! lol
Old 08-27-2007, 12:48 PM   #28
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
We modify our vehicles simply because we want to. When I pull into my dealership coming to work every day, I see a handful of white sedans exactly like mine. Perhaps it is only my perceived youthful angst that propels it, but the feeling is always present that I would like mine to look different. So, would a few hundred bucks for sticky graphics or shiny wheels enhance my vehicle in any mechanical way? Nope. But I'd enjoy it because it was different. I need no other reason. Therefore, I feel that if the intake makes a cool sound and nothing else, who cares? It differentiates that vehicle from the next. If it gains .01 HP, so what?
I say let the lemmings jump off the cliff if they like; they will be smiling on the way down, when you, Pavel, are still bitter.

YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #29
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Zero times. But don't you think before you add mods, you should determine what the benefit is? I mean, even if it cost you just $10, if the mod don't do shit to improve performance, or MPG, woudln't it occur to you to not make the mod if all it does is change the intake sound? That's the point I'm trying to make....if the "benefit" is just in your head....ah, heck....why do I try to reason with a young guy like you?

Hey, I know.....add a tail pipe insert to your Yaris....just a few bucks, and I heard on the internet you'll gain 5 HP! Get the kind that flairs into two pipes, then you can claim "dual exhaust"! lol
That was the most rambled, confusing post ever.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:11 PM   #30
steved
Yaris Rules!!

Drives: 2007 Red Yaris Liftback a/t
Quote:

Pavel who pissed in your corn flakes? You need anger management classes badly.

People modify they cars to be different from others, it's kind of like putting their personality into the car. Even if a modification looks stupid or does absolutely nothing in performance to the car does not give you the reason to tell someone off. Just say "it's not for me" or something else intelligent, or even better don't comment at all.

RedYaris great install and hope you enjoy it.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:56 AM   #31
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Quote:
why do I try to reason with a young guy like you?
Thanks for the compliment Pavel...nearing 43 I do feel quite young. Just proves once again your mouth is bigger than your foot.
Old 08-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #32
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment Pavel...nearing 43 I do feel quite young. Just proves once again your mouth is bigger than your foot.
+1
Old 08-28-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
REM

Drives: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL
How easy is it to change/clean the filter? I had one on my last car and I had to pop the liner above my driver side wheel to change the filter, way too much work. This doesn't seem that bad, but still it seems like it could be trouble.
Old 08-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #34
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Filter cleaning is recommended every 3K miles. I dont look forward to taking it off, cleaning and re-oiling it thats for sure.
Old 08-29-2007, 11:27 AM   #35
uncleyaris

Drives: 2007 Bayou Blue!!!!!!!
Another great write up!! Motivates others that they can do these things. Must sound nice up front!! Can't wait to see the pics for your HU, hint hint!!
uncleyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 04:02 PM   #36
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Thanks Uncle...this is why I continue to produce these DIYs to help others who might never attempt such a mod.