Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-14-2019, 12:53 PM   #19
400 dollar yaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarflana View Post
Working on the rear brakes yesterday and while finishing up the reassembly on the passenger side rear, I put on the drum and decided to press the brake pedal a bit to ensure I had the e-brake and everything adjusted right.

Sounds fine right?

Well, I forgot that when reassembling the passenger side brakes that I had removed the drum from the driver's side which was still assembled just for a picture of what everything had to look like, but I DID NOT PUT THE DRUM BACK ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE WHEN PRESSING THE BRAKE PEDAL AND BLEW OUT THE CYNLINDER (SQUISH, SQUISH SQUISH).

So I of course had to replace the brake cylinder since the seals were blown out.

I am sure some of you could have rebuilt it there on the spot, but for $20 for a new one, it was worth it just to replace it.

Oh, also, here is a quick tip in case you ever do your own brakes on the drums again. Use some clamps with rubber grips to hold the shoes in place when reassembling...it makes doing it all SO MUCH EASIER! I had some 12" Sears Craftsman clamps with red rubber grips and they are the squeeze kind so you can micro adjust both ways.

I will tell you if I ever get rid of this Yaris...I will vow to never buy another car with any drum brakes again!

Agreed.... when doing my rear brakes about two months ago, I split the rubber part of the driver side wheel cylinder while getting frustrated with positioning the shoes and tensioner. Had to take it to the dealer to replace the cylinder. Complete PITA. One side took me as long as both front rotors and pads + some. My next car purchase will also be a car with 4 wheel disk brakes. Only advice I can give on the rear brakes is take pictures of everything, Take your time, make sure the tensioner is back in the correct position, never depress the brake pedal with drum off. I love the yaris, but dont know if the new models still have drums. I would only consider if it has drums though.
400 dollar yaris is offline   Reply With Quote