Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-12-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
dyslexicanaboko

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Recommendations on Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF)

So I did the unspeakable, I over oiled my air filter and pretty much damaged my MAF. I tried cleaning it with MAF cleaner several times, but the damn Check Engine Light (CEL) keeps turning back on. I removed a majority of the excess oil from the filter so I am not worried about re-damaging a new MAF.

So now I want to change the MAF, but I figure instead of changing it with some off brand from an auto part store or some brand I never heard of online I would ask the enthusiasts here for a recommendation.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand new performance MAF?

2007 Yaris
AFE Cold Air Intake
dyslexicanaboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I don't know about a performance one...I do know someone advertised one in the parts for sale section and you can get replacements on ebay pretty cheap vs the dealer. Just get the part number (Toyota-Denso 22204-22010/197400-2030) and google it.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 01:03 PM   #3
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Go to the wreckers and pull one from any 4 cylinder toyota.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #4
auxmike

Drives: 2008 HB, A/T, Power W/L/M
This is why I won't use ANY oiled filters.
I snagged a brand new in box MAF for $60 on the 'bay a while ago....

Never take eyes off opponent - Bruce Lee
auxmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:47 PM   #5
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyslexicanaboko View Post
So I did the unspeakable, I over oiled my air filter and pretty much damaged my MAF. I tried cleaning it with MAF cleaner several times, but the damn Check Engine Light (CEL) keeps turning back on. I removed a majority of the excess oil from the filter so I am not worried about re-damaging a new MAF.

So now I want to change the MAF, but I figure instead of changing it with some off brand from an auto part store or some brand I never heard of online I would ask the enthusiasts here for a recommendation.

Does anyone have any recommendations on a brand new performance MAF?

2007 Yaris
AFE Cold Air Intake
There is no performance MAF available. I have an extra MAF & Im also in Miami. PM me.....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:18 PM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ok, if you were talkin old school GM maf where half the inlet was cut off due to air flow....or even something like the old school mitsubishi turbo maf sensor that was the same way. yeah, you can cut some away and get some 'performance' out of it.

but with the stock unit, it's just a little tip on a small plastic rod. there's really nothing blockin air flow.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM   #7
dyslexicanaboko

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris
Wow, many good replies. Thanks for all that information it was just like I suspected then. I will just get another MAF when I can then. I was looking for a performance MAF just in case it existed, but if it doesn't no problem. I just want to optimize performance and fuel efficiency where ever I can.

As far as the over oiling part goes, that was my own damn fault, I was in a hurry to clean the filter before a road trip and the filter was obviously not ready to be used. I didn't feel like letting it wick out, so I applied too much and though I could drip off the excess. I learned you should never do this the hard way :D
dyslexicanaboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:23 AM   #8
jona17392
I've made a post!

Drives: toyota yaris 2004 1.5L
ola yo soi nubo por aca yo tengo un yaris año 2004 y le quero instalar afc (avc-r) alguen pe puede ayudar o mandarme ea diadrama de cabliado de la ecu
jona17392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #9
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by jona17392 View Post
ola yo soi nubo por aca yo tengo un yaris año 2004 y le quero instalar afc (avc-r) alguen pe puede ayudar o mandarme ea diadrama de cabliado de la ecu
Google translation:

I soi nubo wave around here I have a yaris year 2004 and you want to install afc (avc-r) pe Algueña can help or send ea cabliado diadrama of the ecu
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #10
troutangler

Drives: Honda civic vti orial
The car enthusiasts are always constantly in search of ways to improve the power and a better gas mileage and one of the ways discovered is by installing a cold air intake! It is a system that acts as the starting point for all your modifications. Now what does it do? Well, all it does is ensures an efficient absorption of air by the engine owing to which power and performance automatically get accelerated. And colder the air within the vehicle, better it performs, better it sounds and more fuel it saves! Plus, it also improves the look of the vehicle's engine bay!

aem brute force air intake
troutangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 09:18 AM   #11
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by troutangler View Post
The car enthusiasts are always constantly in search of ways to improve the power and a better gas mileage and one of the ways discovered is by installing a cold air intake! It is a system that acts as the starting point for all your modifications. Now what does it do? Well, all it does is ensures an efficient absorption of air by the engine owing to which power and performance automatically get accelerated. And colder the air within the vehicle, better it performs, better it sounds and more fuel it saves! Plus, it also improves the look of the vehicle's engine bay!

aem brute force air intake
Really! Gosh, I absolutely did not know any of that.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
you can try to clean the maf by using a electronics cleaner. but dont do it while its' on or while it's still hot from having been on. wait about 3-5 minutes....should be long enough just removing it from the car.

spray the unit with electronics cleaner NOT BRAKE CLEANER OR CARB CLEANER....and let dry completely before re-installing.
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air, maf, mass, peformance, sensor