Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 12-03-2017, 07:00 AM   #1
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
A Few More Parts from Rock Auto

I plan to drop the oil pan on the '08 this week and check the condition of the oil tube pickup screen as well as see what - if anything- is in the pan. Oil is weeping around the gasket anyway. When I bought the car it was low on oil but I've done a couple of short changes cycles and the oil is remaining clean on the dipstick.

I'll put the new Continental Poly-V belt on. I just learned yesterday that the Continental belt is actually the Goodyear Gatorback, just redistributed by Continental.

Both Yaris's will get new PCV valves.

The trans pan gasket is for the filter I bought for the '06 that didn't come with a gasket. That job will probably happen in the spring when the '06 comes out of winter storage.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:49 PM   #2
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
Actually fyi, I found the best belts to use on this car is the bando belts. The OEM manufacturers use it. That or mitsuboshi for toyota. None the less I have had better luck with bando instead of using dayco
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:10 AM   #3
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkxfirex View Post
Actually fyi, I found the best belts to use on this car is the bando belts. The OEM manufacturers use it. That or mitsuboshi for toyota. None the less I have had better luck with bando instead of using dayco
Thanks. I thought about getting the Bando belt. I have one on my Sedona now and it's been great. If the Continental isn't up to the task, I'll pick up a Bando. Thanks.

On another note, I got a pleasant surprise when I opened my latest EBay order. I had bought 6 air filters for around $4.00 a pop. I expected that they would be cheap knockoffs as it stated in the listing that they were not OEM. This is what arrived. The other 4 are in my garage.

I had the same thing happen when I bought an upper control arm for my Sedona. Listing said Dorman, and I got a Kia part. Local dealer wanted $285.00 for the part, I got it for ~ $50.00. Deals can be had!

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 12-05-2017, 03:57 PM   #4
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
He shoots, he scores!

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
xdarkxfirex

Drives: 2015 yaris le
I bought knock off airfilters before. They arent that important on this car and work the same or very close to original. I wouldnt get a knock off oil filter and I always stay away from those orange frams.
xdarkxfirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 PM   #6
malibuguy
Obsessed with 1.5L

Drives: '10 PW Yaris Sedan
Excellent score on parts.

Factory the oil pan is glued (siliconed) when I had mine apart to install a drain fitting for future turbo use I cleaned it off and used Permatex Ultra Grey.

-10 PW sedan 107whp/110wtq, full exhaust, suspension bits, TRD LSD
-06 Highlander 3mzfe Limited AWD
-82 Malibu, 1uzfe swap
-97 Tercel coupe, 1nzfe/4.31
-96 Tercel coupe, Turbo 5efe, autoX
-96 Tercel 4dr
malibuguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 09:03 PM   #7
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
He shoots, he scores!
Haha....Yeah!

Old 12-05-2017, 09:09 PM   #8
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdarkxfirex View Post
I bought knock off airfilters before. They arent that important on this car and work the same or very close to original. I wouldnt get a knock off oil filter and I always stay away from those orange frams.
Yes, although I used Fram orange cans for years without incident, I was unaware of the paper end caps. The Fram Ultras look great but way too pricy. Some of the best filters I have used - and I base this only on feel (weight) and look - are the Korean made Kia filters. I'm now using EcoGard filters on my Yaris's. The are very heavy and look good from the cutaway images on their website. No silicone anti drainback valve but probably very acceptable for my relatively short 6000 km OCI.

Re the air filters, I bet you're right about that. The 'knock offs' look absolutely identical to the OEM ones from what I can see.

Old 12-05-2017, 09:13 PM   #9
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by malibuguy View Post
Excellent score on parts.

Factory the oil pan is glued (siliconed) when I had mine apart to install a drain fitting for future turbo use I cleaned it off and used Permatex Ultra Grey.
Ah, I see. The gasket I got came with two little tubes of RTV sealant. When I did my trans pan drop, no sealant was required. I mentioned in another post that I'd done several pan drops on my Dodge van. It was always a messy job with all the RTV to be removed and reapplied. OT, but I'm considering installing a Fumoto drain on my '08. Just hunting around for good pricing.

I was looking through my service manual yesterday and found a diagram of the RTV sealant aplication. I used to go around each bolt hole in a little circle, but Toyota has us using a semi-circular bead around the inboard edge of the pan only. It would seem that Toyota recommends only a sealant and not a gasket. However, as stated, my gasket came with the sealant. Not 100% sure how to proceed. Leave the gasket out altogether or use both. I never used a gasket on my Caravan but others did with no leaking. I'm going to bet that you would recommend the sealant only. Toyota says mount pan three minutes after applying sealant -- no oil added for two hours...

Found pic...

Thanks!

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 12-05-2017 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #10
06YarisRS

Installed the Continental belt after work today. Much less tension on this belt vs the Dayco. I turned all accessories on (A/C, rear defrost, wipers, headlights, radio etc) and not so much as a chirp. Will update as time goes on.