Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Regional Forums > California
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-25-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
tomato
Super Moderator

Drives: Yaris 2DR LB 07, MT, Abs. Red
DMV procedure when you trade in? (California only)

I traded in my old car at the Toyota dealership when I bought my Yaris, and when I turned the pink slip over to them, the dealership told me they would fill out the necessary paperwork with the DMV so I wouldn't have to file a release of liability form on my own for change of ownership on my old car. In fact, I'm pretty sure they gave me some kind of piece of paper saying they were taking over the Honda (can't find it now, but I'll look later tonight to be sure).

Yet, the DMV just sent me my notice of registration for the old car (along with the pink slip for the new car!).

Does anyone know if the DMV expects you to file your own NRL when you trade in a car at a dealership in California or if the delaership usually does that?

At the time I traded in my car, the budget was pretty tight in California and they were reducing DMV hours, so who knows, maybe something fell through the cracks. Or maybe I messed up and didn't file what I was supposed to file?

Thanks for any help.

PS. I intend to call the DMV tomorrow, papers on hand, but I thought I'd ask around first.

Last edited by tomato; 03-25-2009 at 03:11 PM. Reason: clar.
tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:38 PM   #2
tomato
Super Moderator

Old 03-25-2009, 09:14 PM   #3
jdinrc

Drives: 2009 Yaris Blazing Blue 3dr
When I bought mine they gave me a release of liability form that transferred ownership of my trade to the dealer. Maybe the DMV renewal of your old car was in the works prior to when they received the new car registration. My registration was far enough away from when I bought it that they couldn't get them mixed up.
jdinrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 11:45 PM   #4
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
Ya, as jdinrc said, go to the dmv and just do one of those whether or not you know the dealor did anything on their own.

or rather, just do it online right now:

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/online/nrl/welcome.htm

Info you need is the Vin or license plate number and the dealor's info
. It would have been the stub you keep when you sign off the paperwork to anyone when you sell a car. I had to do it for a civic and camry I had given to the local junk yard.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:27 PM   #5
tomato
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinrc View Post
When I bought mine they gave me a release of liability form that transferred ownership of my trade to the dealer. Maybe the DMV renewal of your old car was in the works prior to when they received the new car registration. My registration was far enough away from when I bought it that they couldn't get them mixed up.
That makes of sense!

I like the idea of completing my own form online as well. Don't know why I didn't think of doing it.

Thanks very much, guys, much appreciated!