Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Forced Induction Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 PM   #1
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Drives: Scions
New Engine Management System offered for the 1NZFE

We are pleased to announce the Allan Phillips Racing In-Line ECU for the 1NZFE platform. Today we had successfully gotten it to run on a 2009 Yaris S and are ready to offer this wonderful unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezod View Post
Ok. I do not get on this board too often, however let me enlighten those whom are unfamiliar with the Allan Phillips Racing systems.

The unit is an In-Line ECU. It is not a piggyback, and is not a standalone. It has properties of both and I will explain how and a lot of the cool functions it has to offer.

First, it has full closed loop and open loop fuel control. Most piggybacks do not offer both like the E-manage Ultimate, E-manage, S-AFC, Neo, FIC.....These unit s struggle (at best) to control the AFRs well and tightly around the stock ECU's strategy. The APR X1 does it flawlessly (if programmed properly). There is no pulse widths to enter like a standalone. There is no duty cycles to enter. There is no BS. Just enter the target AFR based upon load and engine RPM and be done with it. The tighter your injector transfer function is, the tighter the AFR control will be. The thing is SUPER accurate and provides mounds to data for easy tuning and no guess work.

Secondly, ignition timing is more like a piggyback in the fact that it lets the stock ECU make the final call for what it determines as far as spark advance. Your Spark Base table tune (allowing for both advance and/or retard) will provide an additional figure below or over the stock value. For example, say the stock ECU wanted 20 degrees at WOT, and you wanted 25, simply add +5 in those cells and be done. A negative 5 would yield 15 degrees of advance. This makes it easy and eliminates all of the guess work involved with ignition timing.

You can also alter the top speed, rev limiter, you get 2 step launch control, still works with ALL factory keys, accessories and such like a stock car. The OBD2 port is still active for emissions purposes for those of you whom have emissions in your area (unlike a standalone). All trouble codes are still active and in use too.

The real benefit of a unit like the APR is that is uses all of Toyo's millions of dollars of invested time and equipment to your advantage. Toyo spent countless man hours developing ECU fuel and ignition mapping strategies that you can now use to your advantage using the unit like the APR. The fact that you can custom sculpt a fuel curve and ignition curve with minimal effort and supreme accuracy is second to none.

If you become proficient with the APR unit, you do not even need a dyno to tune it. You can view the super sophisticated datalogging, make changes and see the air flow difference from one pull to the next. It doesn't get any better than that. Same deal for ignition timing too. You can see where knock occurs and when the stock ECU pulls out timing, and adjust accordingly. No fussing with custom knock curves and such.

I have tuned plenty of standalones and owned a complete standalone Lexus IS300 that we did with an AEM EMS, and this APR is second to none. The amount of data you can get and have from pull to pull, you don't even want to touch another system. My current DD has a custom APR on it, and it's an xB2. I love the darn thing! No cold start adjustments, no start extra fuel decay maps, no prolonged stat sync starts....Just turn key and go.

I will entertain and all questions regarding this unit and post datalogs and shots of the software to show that this unit is the future of modding Toyos.
Quote:
No control over VVT. To be honest, we offered it in the AEM EMS we did for the Scion tC. Most people did not take the cumbersome efforts of tuning it, so it was left by the way side. The ARP lets the stock control it, which works just fine as it does a good job (not the best) in controlling it.

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO RUN SPEED DENSITY!?!?! You are out of your mind if you want to do this! Use the MAF as the APR was designed to do. The MAF is MUCH more accurate and provides baro change correct, temp and humidity correction all in one. With MAP (Speed density) you must do that on your own. Stick with the MAF, use it's accuracy and be done with it. (also, don't worry about maxing it out, if you do you can run a GM 650g/s^2 MAF with the APR or even twin MAFs!) Take the 3D modeling of air and enjoy.

As far as cams, we've done 264s on the 2AZ tC without issues at all. We are now about to do some 280/272s to see what's up. I would not be concerned with cams and this unit at all. We've even run 850cc injectors too. No problems there either.
Some pics!

Quote:
Well again, it all boils down to demand. A turbo kit (to do it right) encompasses a lot of cash outlay to put units on the shelf and such. Just to put the point home, if we had taken the same approach as we did with the tC kit, where we put 100 units of downpipes and intercoolerpipes on the shelf, we'd be up poop's creek in this market. The tC market embraced our enthusiasm and bought it all and then some many times over.

I guess the point I am driving at here is demand. There needs to be people wanting and buying a product for it to exist. It must be a profitable venture for a company to undertake the challenge.

The engine management deal, can be done on a one or two unit basis, therefore requires virtually minimal cash outlay therefore offering a better change of existence to the market.
Quote:
This unit allows for turbo, S/C and N/A tuning with no problems!

Some more info to chew on:
Introducing the ultimate powertrain management system for the Toyota 1.5L 1NZFE. The X-One has been designed to take complete control of the injection and ignition systems to allow absolute management of powertrain operation without upsetting the factory ECU and its diagnostic systems. This enables the X-One to adjust every aspect of the powertrain calibration including rev-limiter extension since it drives the injectors and igniters directly as a true ECU.

Allan Phillips Racing and Dezod Motorsports together have engineered a complete system that unleashes the reserved horsepower in your Toyota 1.5L powertrain.

.A true parallel processing ECU with extended Rev-Limiter

Adjustable Soft-Cut Rev-Limiter Control (internally limited to 6500 RPM). Increased rev-limiter calibrations (up to 7800 RPM) are available from Authorized Dealers for highly modified race engine that are designed to handle the increased loading. Contact us about your desired rev limiter.

True Plug and Play Technology

A full wiring harnesses is used to adapt to system into the vehicle. It simply plugs into the factory ECU and harness using OEM connectors. Utilizes all factory sensors with the option of using high performance aftermarket sensors as well.

Complete Fuel Control

High-resolution map tables (20 x 24 cells) enable precision fuel adjustments during both closed and open-loop operation. Calibrations for oversized mass air flow sensors (up to 900 cfm). A sophisticated mass airflow based fuel controller senses OEM injection, desired air/fuel trajectory, WRAF sensor feedback and many other internal signals.

The X-One calculates injector and igniter updates 200 times a seconds to provide high-bandwidth control. (Forced-induction compensation up to 200% engine load and 7800 RPM) The table ordinate breakpoints may be adjusted to accommodate any range. Users tune the commanded air/fuel table with adjustments for trimming and dynamic fuel compensation. The calibration is entirely based upon engineering units (no fudge factors based upon injector duty-cycle, or MAF/ECT voltage). Advanced forced-induction auxiliary injection system controls secondary port and throttle injection. This control option enables the ability to keep the factory injectors stock with high quality performance, drivability and emissions. The oversized main injector function allows the replacement of the stock injectors as well. This control activates the secondary injectors based upon load calculations with a calibrate-able distribution between the port and throttle injectors (chemical intercooler feature).

Complete Ignition Control

High-resolution map table (20 x 24 cells) enables precision spark adjustments keeping the OEM knock control intact for durability. Mass airflow based load calculations accurately senses the cylinder conditions for precision spark delivery to 0.1’ (36 tooth accuracy). Spark advance and retard capability allow for modified intakes, exhaust systems and forced-induction configurations.

USB High Bandwidth Acquisition System

The power of USB unleashes the data acquisition capabilities normally found only in expensive high-end systems. XTune can capture over 100 parameters at 100 Hz for 100 minutes of data recordings.

18-Channel Auxiliary Measurement Port

In addition to the internal 18 sensor channels, the X-One includes an external 18-channel auxiliary data acquisition port. These channels are available for auxiliary measurements for pressure, temperature (RTD), thermocouples, UEGO and digital mass airflow sensors. All together, the XTune software package includes 36 sensor channels that allow for advanced data acquisition analysis. Included with X-One is a generic harness for connecting auxiliary measurements.

Any Q's....feel free to ask!
W: www.dezod.com

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.

Last edited by Dezod; 08-06-2010 at 02:25 PM.
Dezod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Dezod
The Scion Guru

updated!

Your leading source for all of your performance needs! From turbos and components, to brakes and suspension, Dezod has you covered.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:44 AM   #3
kdctuning
The Nineth Coming

Drives: 2007 BB Yaris 3 Door LB
Send a message via AIM to kdctuning
What is the price tag associated with your product? No problem spending money on a product that works and works well, just need to budget.
Old 08-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdctuning View Post
What is the price tag associated with your product? No problem spending money on a product that works and works well, just need to budget.
2K for the newer yaris stuff because those connectors are CRAZY expensive.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:50 PM   #5
suckerface
#1 Lemming

Drives: Light Blue '08 Yaris
I may have overlooked this, but are there specific models that this is designed for? I see they tested it on an '09, but will it work on earlier models, an '08 for example?
Old 08-06-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerface View Post
I may have overlooked this, but are there specific models that this is designed for? I see they tested it on an '09, but will it work on earlier models, an '08 for example?
Should work with any 1NZFE engine. Just be harness and connector changes for the other years.

Old 08-06-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I thnk the pinouts do vary from model to model, but I would think they are consistent for the Yaris from 07 to present. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Exciting new development!! I know personally how Dezod's commitment has greatly enhanced the Scion tuning community, so glad to have him working on the 1NZ for us too!

Quote:
Today we had successfully gotten it to run on a 2009 Yaris S and are ready to offer this wonderful unit.
Does this mean it was tuned and made some more power? Or it's not that far along yet, and you got it running as a stock tune with null settings?

If it is, would you ship them with a pre-loaded tune?
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:00 PM   #9
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
I thnk the pinouts do vary from model to model, but I would think they are consistent for the Yaris from 07 to present. Maybe I'm wrong, though.
I have access to TIS (Toyota Information Systems). I can pull wiring diagrams for ALL years, makes and models.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:04 PM   #10
Dezod
The Scion Guru

Quote:
Exciting new development!! I know personally how Dezod's commitment has greatly enhanced the Scion tuning community, so glad to have him working on the 1NZ for us too!

Does this mean it was tuned and made some more power? Or it's not that far along yet, and you got it running as a stock tune with null settings?

If it is, would you ship them with a pre-loaded tune?
Thanks for the kind words!

The car was started on a dummied down map. I can make a base cal to get someone started and running pretty well with some simple info and such. I can even offer e-tuning services on this unit. It has VERY sophisticated data-logging that makes for ease of viewing what's going on through the entire spectrum.

All units will come with some form of base cal to get you started rolling right.

Old 08-06-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
2manywheels

Drives: 09 YarHB
So, were you able to get more than stock power out of this install? or different power band? How well does it work with the FBW throttle?
Cheers!!
2manywheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 03:52 PM   #12
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

I think he just posted that he doesn't have any specific numbers for the Yaris yet.
Old 08-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #13
kdctuning
The Nineth Coming

Drives: 2007 BB Yaris 3 Door LB
Send a message via AIM to kdctuning
I can not wait to get the dough to get it!! I was planning going turbo and doing the aem fic this winter, but would rather have something more tuneable in the long run. Have to wait now to see how the job situation goes on.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
2K for just the ecu ...... I am curious how much it's worth the price
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #15
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

^ It is for anyone that (1) doesn't want to custom wire into their car and (2) wants the ability to undo it later quite easily and (3) wants the control of a standalone with the ease of a piggyback.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:32 PM   #16
cdydjded

Drives: Yaris LB Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parmas View Post
2K for just the ecu ...... I am curious how much it's worth the price
How much is a AEM EMS? How much would it cost to wire in? I assure you that answer is alot more than this unit.....
cdydjded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:58 PM   #17
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

AEM EMS is like $2400 or something, and that's with NO wiring.
MoTec M400 was even more, as I recall.
Old 08-07-2010, 02:30 AM   #18
Parmas

Drives: Vitz RS Turbo
Quote:
^ It is for anyone that (1) doesn't want to custom wire into their car and (2) wants the ability to undo it later quite easily and (3) wants the control of a standalone with the ease of a piggyback.
I am happy that groups like Allan Phillips Racing and Dezod Motorsports are putting interest on our engine but I am still not convinced about the ecu versus price tag.

1.) VVTi Control :- One of the disadvantages I already seeing is that the X-one ecu is not capable of controlling the Variable Cam Timing but it is the stock ecu that handles it. For stock users it's not a big deal but people buying aftermarket ecus are not willing to remain stock. If running a built motor with forced induction the need to control VVTi is essential.

2.) Anti- Lag Launch Control:- Is one of the features that I like on aftermarket ecus and this seems that it hasn't any.

3.) Map Sensor:- Normally this is built into the ecu. Does the X-one ecu has it?

4.) Aux System :- Does this AUX recognizes only sensor inputs? What about output controls ?

5.) Regarding Price with 2K I bought a Haltech Ecu 1000 (Ones that compete with Motec systems) + Haltech external ignitors + Haltech dual channel wideband + Haltech Air/Water Temp calibrated + Shipping.
Parmas is offline   Reply With Quote