Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-10-2013, 08:30 AM   #1
longlivekel

Drives: Rover Mini S
Do you really need the 1nzfe cluster when doing a swap?

Hey Guys.
I know I don't post much on here. I just observe everyone's threads.
A few questions for you guys.
I have many people telling me this and they could be right. I am not here to say they are wrong but want someone to chime in to finalize the question.

If you were to do an engine swap in a small classic micro car (pick whatever one you want), would you absolutely need the cluster for the 1nzfe?
The goal is a classic micro car with a stock 1nzfe. The only thing that would be modified would be the exhaust system and the electrical.
Due to a micro car being so small and limited on space, its hard to stuff all of the electrical system into the car, so aftermarket gauges will be needed and just enough wiring to make the engine run with zero issues or CEL codes.

When doing my vtec mini swap I was able to remove whatever wires i didn't need and be good to go. Will the 1nzfe get angry if i did that?

Thanks
longlivekel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
You could definitely swap a 1NZ into another vehicle without using the instrument cluster. The only signal that routes through the cluster to the ECM is the speed, but with that signal the cluster really just acts as a junction connector, as it does not modify the signal before passing it on.

If you use the engine and ECM from a Yaris you will to use the drive by wire throttle body, so you will also need the Yaris' gas pedal. If you use a 1NZ and ECM from an Echo or 1st gen XB, they use a cable throttle, so that would not be necessary.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #3
longlivekel

CTScott.
I knew you would be the guy to chime in on this : )
When I did the honda swap into my mini I just removed the unnecessary wires and used aftermarket gauges. Will the 1nzfe throw a fit if i did that? Is there anything that you cannot omit from the system?
I plan on running all engine sensors and a/c. I was considering the Echo engine cause i don't want to mess with drive by wire.

How is the VVTI controlled? People tell me that the cluster controls that and I have a hard time believing that.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:05 PM   #4
longlivekel

No response?
Old 10-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
I was off on my Baltic tour this summer when you posted that question.

Using aftermarket gauges should be fine. The only thing that the ECM would be a little unhappy about (CEL will illuminate, although it won't be there to see) is not hearing from the cluster ECU, but it will still run without an issue without the cluster ECU present.

I just sold an engine and tranny from a wrecked Yaris that I pickup up to part out and I keep thinking that I should have kept them and bought an old Spitfire or something like that with a bad engine and dropped the 1NZ into it.
Old 01-01-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
tk-421
Super Moderator

Drives: 5D-07-LB
Moved offtopic posts to new thread: http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49117