Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Fuel Economy Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-23-2008, 02:45 PM   #19
floydisrock
73 Centurion droptop 455

Drives: 2009 S Sedan
I still think 32 mpg with winter fuel and snow tires is terrific.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 AM   #20
ashughes
I've made a post!

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Poor Gas Mileage on Snows

I just got snowtires on my car two weeks ago and have noticed an incredible drop. I expected a slight drop, but nothing like this...

All Seasons 2 weeks ago yielded 563km to one tank.
First week the snows yielded 505km to one tank.
This past week, I got 476km to one tank.

That's a 87km (15%) drop in gas mileage. Is this expected, or does this seem extreme to anyone?

Don't get me wrong. The tires behave awesome in the snow and ice. I am just wondering if this is the price I have to pay in the winter or if I can expect to see these dwindling returns to the pump continue when I go back to the All Seasons in the spring.
ashughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:52 AM   #21
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashughes View Post
I just got snowtires on my car two weeks ago and have noticed an incredible drop. I expected a slight drop, but nothing like this...

All Seasons 2 weeks ago yielded 563km to one tank.
First week the snows yielded 505km to one tank.
This past week, I got 476km to one tank.

That's a 87km (15%) drop in gas mileage. Is this expected, or does this seem extreme to anyone?

Don't get me wrong. The tires behave awesome in the snow and ice. I am just wondering if this is the price I have to pay in the winter or if I can expect to see these dwindling returns to the pump continue when I go back to the All Seasons in the spring.
Wow - That does seem extreme. What kind of snows did you put on?

How close is the diameter of the snows to the diameter of your all seasons?
CTScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:30 AM   #22
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quebec Law Strains Vermont Tire Supply
St. Albans, Vermont - November 28, 2008

Business is booming at tire shops across Vermont, especially at businesses near the Canadian border.

"Even for our supply, there's sizes we're running out of," said George Wood, of Goodyear Tire.

A new law will take effect Dec. 15 in Quebec requiring all drivers to have snow tires on their vehicles during the winter months.

That's prompted many Quebec residents to head south in search of a deal.

"Very good for business, yeah," said Chris Wood, of Midas. "We've gotten a ton of phone calls inquiring about tire prices."

Tire prices in Canada are 20 percent to 25 percent higher than they are here in the states.

"It's significantly different. It's not just a couple of bucks. It's a lot," Wood explained.

The new law is a headache for Canadian drivers: "I don't like it. I don't need snow tires with a 4 by 4," one customer from Canada complained.

...And a challenge for retailers.

Businesses in Quebec are running out of tires and that demand is creating a ripple effect in states like Vermont.

"There's a shortage in North America. A lot of the tire manufacturers have shipped their product north and it's kind of put the hurt on us a little bit," Wood said. "If you run short, a lot of tire companies-- that's it for the year in those particular sizes."

Quebec is the first province to implement a snow tire law.

Violators face up to a $300 fine.

But the law only applies to Quebec residents.

U.S. residents can continue to visit the province with or without snow tires.

Just keep track of your car-- specifically your tires.

"Yesterday someone went to the movies and they came out and (their car) was on the blocks," said Christian Cournoyer, of Quebec.

Keagan Harsha - WCAX News

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 09:34 AM   #23
Bob_VT

Drives: 08 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by PK198105 View Post
i love the comment "i dont need winter on my 4X4" no but a new brain yes dumbass!!!
Probably lives downtown and drives only two blocks to work!

Come to the DARKSIDE..... We have candy
Bob_VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 12:36 PM   #24
Yarmouth Bob

Drives: 2008 Yaris Sedan
Smile MPG

Haven't checked the mpg yet, but up here in Nova Scotia I got Cooper Arctic Claws on the day before we had 15 cms of snow. I can put up with lower mpg for about the 4 months of winter, then look forward to changing back in April. It's all about safety, I've seen a day start sunny and by quitting time you're looking at a blizzard. Ability to get through that trumps mpg anytime.
Yarmouth Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 08:44 PM   #25
06vitzRS

Drives: 06 Yaris HB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarmouth Bob View Post
Haven't checked the mpg yet, but up here in Nova Scotia I got Cooper Arctic Claws on the day before we had 15 cms of snow. I can put up with lower mpg for about the 4 months of winter, then look forward to changing back in April. It's all about safety, I've seen a day start sunny and by quitting time you're looking at a blizzard. Ability to get through that trumps mpg anytime.

Couldn't agree more. (Even though my winter set up get's better MPG than my summer set.)