Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing, Exterior Repairs
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2011, 08:25 PM   #19
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
my bumper project cost me aroun $75 including the spare bumper. you really should be able to take care of it yourself.

-sandpaper (a few different grits)
-fiberglass resin jelly (don't even need the fiber)
-paint (maybe primer, maybe not)

if you do want it to be perfect, get a shop to do it. if you are alright with saving a little green and it looking alrightish, do it yourself. you should be fine. realize that you need the smallest container of the stuff since you are just sticking stuff together.

there again, if you want it perfect, the shop works.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 02:39 PM   #20
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuA6d49Z7Rc

You can try to melt the plastic back together first and use a light amount of bodyfiller.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #21
wildmongoose26

Drives: 09 5dr Yaris
The bondo wont hold it all together. (Yes I'm being lazy and not reading the whole thing) You should probably put some sort of support on the back side of the lip area. The bondo wont hold it rigid enough to keep it from flexing and eventually cracking the bondo. Put some fiberglass or get a can of kitty hair and place it on the back side of the lip to get the shape and support back in it. Then strip the paint in the area, then you can bondo body fill the SMALL gaps left. Sand, prep, sand, paint, sand, clear, buff that area and you should be good. Or take it to a bodyshop and have them fix it and blend it for a few hundred bucks.
wildmongoose26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #22
.Kevin.
I ain't even mad

Drives: 2010 1E7 Toyota Yaris Sedan
Send a message via MSN to .Kevin.
I've decided to go with a fibreglass repair kit from homehardware,

My plan is to use this and pile it up abit under the lip where it is un visible. Solid it up then masking tape with newspaper off the area sand it down and fill the cracks a little bit then sand that bastard down, prime, paint, clearcoat, soak it, wash on wax it and call it a day.

Sounds about right no?
Old 05-10-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
wildmongoose26

Dont wax it right away. The paint has to cure and release some of the moisture. If you wax too quickly it could cause issues in the paint finish
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #24
BEEF

Drives: 2008 yaris 3d
the only thing is that fiberglass resin is runny like water or very thin sap. I tried using regular fiberglass with my project and couldn't get it to conform long enough to cure.

you may want to look into the resin jelly.

http://www.amazon.com/Bondo-Fibergla...5050812&sr=8-1

it is much easier to work with and comes with all the stuff you are talking about doing. you just have to wait for it to ship versus going and getting it.
BEEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:11 PM   #25
wildmongoose26

Or http://www.amazon.com/Kitty-Hair-Fil...sr=1-1-catcorr

The Kitty Hair I stated before. You just pull it out, put some hardner in it and go to work. Take some hot glue and dowls to get the bumper in the shape you want. do the kitty hair on the backside of the lip where no one will se eit and you can pack it in there enough to give it good support. You can also use kitty hair on the cracks if there are any and sand it down.