Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > New YARIS Purchase Forum
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-08-2007, 10:10 AM   #19
gaffo

Drives: integra
I agree - had a TR7 5spd and a Ford Feista 4sp in the 80's-early90's.

inherited a "new" acura in 93 - through today.

the MOST BORING driving car in earth! - yes it as an automatic. every minute of every day these last 15 yrs I've loathed its pamping ways!

It I want a lazyboy - I'll buy the chair plop in in from of a TV.

For the road I want to DRIVE and not simply "ride" as you say.

I fear the love of "convienence" is the American way. When we have automatic toilet flushers and motorized towel dispensor I KNOW the song "In the year 2525" should our new National Anthem - that day is here ;-/.

the rest of the world understands our love of driving.
gaffo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:11 AM   #20
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksan View Post
I prefer the manual on a low torque/horsepower engine. It allows me better control of the power-band in critical areas like merging, passing, etc. It also is more enjoyable for me as I am driving and not simply riding. My VW is pretty much a luxury ride with all the bells & whistles, but I find it almost boring if not hypnotic to do interstate travel with.
Which VW model do you have?
Old 06-08-2007, 10:18 AM   #21
blacksan

Drives: 07 Bayou Blue Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by brickhardmeat View Post
Which VW model do you have?
Passat 4 Motion (made in Germany)
blacksan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:41 AM   #22
webomatics

Drives: SILVER BULLET
Quote:
I prefer the manual on a low torque/horsepower engine. It allows me better control of the power-band in critical areas like merging, passing, etc. It also is more enjoyable for me as I am driving and not simply riding. My VW is pretty much a luxury ride with all the bells & whistles, but I find it almost boring if not hypnotic to do interstate travel with.
Hey Blacksan funny that you mentioned that because that was exactly my situation. I got me a 2007 VW Jetta and I decided to give it to the wife, and one of the things that made me do that was the fact the car was not “fun to drive” sure it was fast and comfortable, but it was also boring to me. I’ll agree that sometimes you would like to have and automatic in certain situations, but overall it applies to each individual driving style. Most of my driving is highway anyway so I need to feel more in control and it’s a feeling I didn’t get with my other car.
webomatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:18 AM   #23
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Passat 4 Motion (made in Germany)
nice, wagon or sedan?
Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
blacksan

Quote:
nice, wagon or sedan?
Wagon, it even has such amenities as controllable AC vents in the glove box and rear cargo area. It really is an outstanding car, but not as fun to hammer around in as the yaris!
Old 06-08-2007, 12:19 PM   #25
TOOL
I <3 Cars!

Drives: Honda Fit S
Quote:
Thats exactly why i like manual !
TOOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 01:32 PM   #26
RShatchback

Drives: 07 yaris liftback
If they didnt have the liftback in a manual when i was at the dealer - i would not have bought it. If someone gave me it in an auto - it would be sitting in the driveway. The cars not fast - but its fun. In an auto yaris, i'd probably be so bored that i'd fall asleep and injure someone. So my manual is safe and fun for everybody.
RShatchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #27
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
I prefer the manual on a low torque/horsepower engine. It allows me better control of the power-band in critical areas like merging, passing, etc. .....
That's why I prefer the auto...it kicks down instantly giving the most power it has available when merging and passing, not requiring the nut behind the wheel (ME) to instantly find the proper gear in a (sometimes) emergency situation. Now going thru the twisties is another matter!!!!
Old 06-08-2007, 07:55 PM   #28
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by churp View Post
That's why I prefer the auto...it kicks down instantly giving the most power it has available when merging and passing, not requiring the nut behind the wheel (ME) to instantly find the proper gear in a (sometimes) emergency situation. Now going thru the twisties is another matter!!!!
I grew up on a farm learning to drive heavy equipment before I could read and write properly. having said that an automatic will never give you the control a manual transmission will. Now, if you do not have the nuance to take advantage of making your equipment perform to the optimum choose the slush box.
Old 06-08-2007, 08:10 PM   #29
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Well, I've always driven a stick, and that's what I wanted when I went out shopping for my Yaris.

But the dealer only had one Yaris, and it was an automatic!

Guess what? After struggling with whether to buy it all day, I finally said okay. Best decision I could have made.

I have to say... I love the automatic! It's quiet, responsive, upshifts and downshifts flawlessly, and it's fun to drive. Hey, the gas mileage is basically the same as the stick.

With high-tech automatics like this, I don't think I'll ever go back to stick.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:16 PM   #30
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Well, I've always driven a stick, and that's what I wanted when I went out shopping for my Yaris.

But the dealer only had one Yaris, and it was an automatic!

Guess what? After struggling with whether to buy it all day, I finally said okay. Best decision I could have made.

I have to say... I love the automatic! It's quiet, responsive, upshifts and downshifts flawlessly, and it's fun to drive. Hey, the gas mileage is basically the same as the stick.

With high-tech automatics like this, I don't think I'll ever go back to stick.

The only automatic I like is my VW, Passat, 4 Motion. Why, because I can bang the stick like a manual. Hey, I am not a kid and can remember the 60's. If you like the auto good on you, but I will stick with da stick!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:26 PM   #31
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Hey, Blacksan, we seem to be having a few conversations going here!

Anyway, I grew up in Canada, and I owned and rebuilt every British sport car you can think of from Bug-eye Sprites to E-type Jags to Sunbeam Tigers.

Don't get me wrong, I love sticks. Heck, I still own and drive a couple and I wouldn't trade them for automatics.

But, this Yaris automatic is really a great little tranny. I'm just so surprised how well it performs.
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 08:29 PM   #32
blacksan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona54 View Post
Hey, Blacksan, we seem to be having a few conversations going here!

Anyway, I grew up in Canada, and I owned and rebuilt every British sport car you can think of from Bug-eye Sprites to E-type Jags to Sunbeam Tigers.

Don't get me wrong, I love sticks. Heck, I still own and drive a couple and I wouldn't trade them for automatics.

But, this Yaris automatic is really a great little tranny. I'm just so surprised how well it performs.
I hear ya!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:50 PM   #33
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Quote:
I grew up on a farm learning to drive heavy equipment before I could read and write properly. having said that an automatic will never give you the control a manual transmission will. Now, if you do not have the nuance to take advantage of making your equipment perform to the optimum choose the slush box.
Just stating my O....grew up on the farm with Johny poppers, an old H, and the old granny low pickup. Just believe in some instances an auto can be considered in the same category as ABS brakes.....for most of us it's a safety factor, with a 5 speed I wouldn't normally shift to 2nd or 3rd while passing anticipating someone suddenly appearing head on. IMO ABS and an Auto aren't for fun or racing, but they make sense in everyday driving. Would have picked standard for my Yaris if I didn't have other toys.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:43 PM   #34
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
I bought a manual for 2 reasons:

1) I live in a mountainous area and have a mountainous commute, and nothing trashes an automatic transmission faster than listening to it fighting with itself over which gear to hold on quickly changing grades. Sure, you can always force it into a gear, but if I'm handling the shifter like that I may as well just have a standard and have full control all of the time.

2) I bought the Yaris with the specific plan of hypermiling it, and a manual transmission makes things like extended engine braking for a fuel cut-off, bump starting in a high gear, RPM matching for ICE re-entry after a FAS, Pulse & Glide, etc. much easier to accomplish.

My record tank so far was 52.095 MPG. I don't think I could have done quite that well with an automatic.

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 10:52 PM   #35
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BailOut View Post
I bought a manual for 2 reasons:

1) I live in a mountainous area and have a mountainous commute, and nothing trashes an automatic transmission faster than listening to it fighting with itself over which gear to hold on quickly changing grades. Sure, you can always force it into a gear, but if I'm handling the shifter like that I may as well just have a standard and have full control all of the time.

2) I bought the Yaris with the specific plan of hypermiling it, and a manual transmission makes things like extended engine braking for a fuel cut-off, bump starting in a high gear, RPM matching for ICE re-entry after a FAS, Pulse & Glide, etc. much easier to accomplish.

My record tank so far was 52.095 MPG. I don't think I could have done quite that well with an automatic.

yes but your body requires more organic food to shift those gears and also this causes your body to have to work harder leading to more use of the a/c and not to mention the fuel it takes to grow/deliver that organic food that you eat and the truck that gets it to the grocery store and the energy to keep it fresh and so on and so fourth
Old 06-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #36
BailOut
Steals terrorist's lunch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
yes but your body requires more organic food to shift those gears and also this causes your body to have to work harder leading to more use of the a/c and not to mention the fuel it takes to grow/deliver that organic food that you eat and the truck that gets it to the grocery store and the energy to keep it fresh and so on and so fourth
The only two times my a/c has been on since I got this car in February of this year was when the wife insisted on it on our drive to and from Vegas, when she was loaded up on post-op pain pills that made her feel hot. My window tint, sun screen and keeping the windows cracked helps keep it cool, and commuting over a 9,000ft. mountain pass every day doesn't hurt in that aspect, either.

It takes no more fuel to get my groceries to me than it does to get yours to you. The sad fact is most of us don't get local food, and you definitely aren't getting any local food at all if you get your groceries at Wal-Mart. The only time I'm sure I'm getting local food is from the seasonal farmer's markets.

You burned a few milligrams of brain-food glucose, and at least 1 calorie with your fingers, making that post, by the way. Not very efficient of you!

Share the Road

I often carry 2 carpool passengers and mountain bikes
or snowboards/skis over a 4,500 foot elevation difference.
Click the graphic above to see my detailed mileage logs.
BailOut is offline   Reply With Quote