Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-25-2006, 04:03 PM   #19
Calidrifter

Drives: 1997 Nissan 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisHatch
As i stated before, the trd turbo will not work with the usdm 1nz motors. The japan 1.5l's they use are a different engine code, different sensors, totally different ecu and their gas is much different. Why does this matter? The trd turbo puts out 136whp on the 1.5l bB, however that is with 101octane. Sounds so high here in the states but yeah, makes a huge difference. Point? Even if you could manage to run with it (impossible with the motor and usdm ecu) you wouldn't see gains above 30whp, i.e 110whp.

As a general rule, turbos are about the same if not more expensive than a supercharger. Also maintanence is much higher on a turbo than a supercharger. Very rare do you not have to tune a kit even if it does come "pre tuned" with a piggy back system. Even so, after a while tune ups are a must. Worth it? Turbos almost always make more power per psi than a supercharger. Design is everything when it comes to boost.

Yeah but a supecharger is constant hp throught the band and you do't get turbo lag. Also with any turbo upgrade if you plan on running over 7 psi you WILL need to get new internals. And from whtaI have been hearing the 1NZ has pretty weak internals already, so don't be surprised to see some dumb kids in here with a ""I blew up my engine" thread in here.
Calidrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2006, 08:55 PM   #20
YarisHatch

Drives: Blank
Send a message via AIM to YarisHatch Send a message via Yahoo to YarisHatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calidrifter
Yeah but a supecharger is constant hp throught the band and you do't get turbo lag. Also with any turbo upgrade if you plan on running over 7 psi you WILL need to get new internals. And from whtaI have been hearing the 1NZ has pretty weak internals already, so don't be surprised to see some dumb kids in here with a ""I blew up my engine" thread in here.
I know of two xb owners that have run 8-9psi daily for over two years with no problems, with some internals upgraded. Yeah, it isn't the greatest motor in the world but its not that bad if you build the motor right. Unfortunately, most don't.

And some turbos have more lag than others, no one turbo design is the same as another. Do some research and you'll find the one for you.
YarisHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:17 PM   #21
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
I'd much rather have the supercharger anyway. I like to bolt off the line, and it'd be even cooler in such a dinky car.

Honestly, I never have a need to run more than 75mph, and I'm sure it'll do that just fine without a turbo. Not like I'm gonna' be racin' for pink slips or anything!

~YR
Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM   #22
YarisHatch

zpi offically dyno'd their xb project at 181whp, un-tuned with a maf pipe. They will be tuning with e-manage and they should be in close to 200whp since the afr's are in the 10's still.

Just thought i'd update, so if any of the yaris owner's or future owners like me want to send zpi an email requesting a future yaris project, goto zeropointindustries.net and send kenny an email.
Old 06-02-2006, 01:36 AM   #23
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
200 whp. Man that would be tempting.
Old 06-02-2006, 03:01 PM   #24
YarisHatch

Yeah, it is tempting. The only issue i have with their kit right now is the fact its still unreliable. Once they get it tuned and see how the afr is and everything, i might feel better. Relying on a learning ecu isn't exactly the best reliable way, but so far they have impressed me.

On the yaris, 200whp would be an incredable amount of power, power to weight would be right around 10.5-11 (without actually doing the ratio figures), which is enough to put the yaris in the high 12's with a proper driver and swapping the gears, with the stock gears you could easily do low 13's. You wouldn't need that much power for autocross and road course's, but yeah. Definitely something to consider.
Old 06-04-2006, 01:18 AM   #25
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Drives: Turbo IS300
Honestly, ever supercharged car I've ever worked on I have never liked.

I would never go with a supercharger.
Nowadays, they've been far surpassed by turbo technology.

A turbo'd car is tons more fun to drive and much much more versatile for power adjustment.

Hitting 140rwhp would be unreasonable for 3500.
You could run nitrous for 1k and do the same.
SophieSleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:28 AM   #26
pennystocks

Drives: 07 Civic Si Coupe(Black Pearl)
A newb comment but turbos sound better too =D
pennystocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 10:24 AM   #27
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennystocks
A newb comment but turbos sound better too =D
I hate supercharger whine...

whirrr whirrr whirrr...belt slippage and stuff.
Old 06-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #28
eight_heads

Drives: '07 Yaris Liftback
i personally like both, but turbos are easier to fix and expand upon.... if you have a supercharger and want more boost, you have to buy another supercharger(the whole setup)... if you have a turbo and want more, you can either rebuild the turbo for more boost or buy a bigger turbo..but a new turbo(just the turbo) is alot cheaper than a new supercharger.... and being that most of us won't be running a whole lot of boost, you can get some of the smaller turbos that will spool very fast and barely have any turbo lag... superchargers however will always rob power

'07 Yaris Liftback
-Red 5spd w/convenience
eight_heads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #29
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_heads
i personally like both, but turbos are easier to fix and expand upon.... if you have a supercharger and want more boost, you have to buy another supercharger(the whole setup)... if you have a turbo and want more, you can either rebuild the turbo for more boost or buy a bigger turbo..but a new turbo(just the turbo) is alot cheaper than a new supercharger.... and being that most of us won't be running a whole lot of boost, you can get some of the smaller turbos that will spool very fast and barely have any turbo lag... superchargers however will always rob power
Err not really.

If you have a supercharger and want more boost, you can change the supercharger's drive pulley to a smaller one. You just have to make sure you don't boost past what is recommended for the compressor unit. Pulley size determines boost.

For a turbo you simply control boost with a boost control. You can go up and down whenever you want. There is no need to rebuild a turbo.

I run my turbo anywhere from 6-15 psi...and I can change that when I'm in the car, whenever I want.

New turbo technology reduces turbo lag significantly.
My current turbo is dual ball bear, water and oil cooled. Spins so damn easily that after you shut the car off the turbine wheel will still be spinning.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:20 PM   #30
505zoom
277whp @ 12psi

Drives: Black Mica Mazda MPS #119
Send a message via AIM to 505zoom
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisHatch
...Also maintanence is much higher on a turbo than a supercharger...
Care to elaborate on that one?... in my experience, that statement should be the other way around.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #31
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 505zoom
Care to elaborate on that one?... in my experience, that statement should be the other way around.
You tend to hear that from people who are not boosted.
Perpetuated myths.

I too have had more problems with superchargers than with turbo's.
In fact I know a guy who has blown 13 superchargers on his car...leaving at least 2 motors needing a rebuild or replacement.

I have rarely seen a blown turbo.
Old 06-04-2006, 08:38 PM   #32
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
All of this turbo vs supercharger nonsense really is irrelevant until someone ponies up the dough and courage to do up their 1NZ-FE...

I'm so sick of all of these threads with all the know-it-alls doing virtual speculation without any real-world testing specifically on a Yaris powertrain...
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:43 PM   #33
SophieSleeps
Podiatrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs
All of this turbo vs supercharger nonsense really is irrelevant until someone ponies up the dough and courage to do up their 1NZ-FE...

I'm so sick of all of these threads with all the know-it-alls doing virtual speculation without any real-world testing specifically on a Yaris powertrain...
You definately have a good point there. A real world comparison would be ideal.

Though I don't necessarily think I'm talking out my ass. I've done numerous builds with both superchargers and turbo's and I don't think the differences I've seen were because of motor or drivetrain.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:13 AM   #34
punch

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan "D" package
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo_hrs

umm there is an owner in toronto with the blitz supercharger on his red rs....
punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:05 AM   #35
echo_hrs
Around the universe...

Drives: Uber-Evolved Pokemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by punch
umm there is an owner in toronto with the blitz supercharger on his red rs....
Copper Orange Mica, actually, but he's not here on the forum to express the details/benefits/difficulties of the unit...

Cheers
echo_hrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 08:09 AM   #36
SmellyTofu
好多人&

Drives: .
I've driven a Blitz S/C Echo (1st model) .. I couldn't wipe the smile off my face. :) Had a few issues but nothing major that hindered performance.
SmellyTofu is offline   Reply With Quote