Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-22-2015, 09:54 AM   #1
tykeeler

CEL eliminator

Need some advice... planning on installing the OBX cat back exhaust system on my 2014 yaris. Problem is, it's more than just a cat back. It deletes the resonator and both cats. Should I use Weapon-R's cel eliminator?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
tykeeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 06:53 PM   #2
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykeeler View Post
Need some advice... planning on installing the OBX cat back exhaust system on my 2014 yaris. Problem is, it's more than just a cat back. It deletes the resonator and both cats. Should I use Weapon-R's cel eliminator?

I have that system and I installed Magnaflow cat and resonator both freeflow. Didn't want to risk getting a ticket for cat less and possible car inspection.........not worth it.

It's not street legal as is only intended for the track.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 08:34 PM   #3
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
i have the OBX on as well. i used the blox CEL eliminator off of amazon. around 2000 miles now with no light. im putting a magnaflow cat on like rigaud said he did, but my cats going where the muffler is so i had to elimate the CEL light whether i put a cat on or not.
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #4
Rigaud

Drives: 2009 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dirtyaris View Post
i have the OBX on as well. i used the blox CEL eliminator off of amazon. around 2000 miles now with no light. im putting a magnaflow cat on like rigaud said he did, but my cats going where the muffler is so i had to elimate the CEL light whether i put a cat on or not.
Don't bother with the cat then, theirs a reason their up front. A cat needs to be as close as possible to the header/down pipe otherwise it doesn't get hot enough to do it's job. Hence the reason a cell pops up when their put too far back.
Plus over here if I did that it would be considered like not having a cat and instant ticket.

2009 Toyota Yaris (Little toy)
2002 Audi A4 Avant Quattro 3.0L (Big boy toy)
1998 Subaru Legacy GT 2.5 (winter & DD)
Rigaud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 11:33 AM   #5
tykeeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07dirtyaris View Post
I just ordered both the OBX exhaust system as well as the blox, so I'll let ya'll know how it goes once it gets here.

Last edited by tykeeler; 10-23-2015 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 02:42 PM   #6
07dirtyaris
&

Drives: meteorite metal 07 Hatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigaud View Post
Don't bother with the cat then, theirs a reason their up front. A cat needs to be as close as possible to the header/down pipe otherwise it doesn't get hot enough to do it's job. Hence the reason a cell pops up when their put too far back.
Plus over here if I did that it would be considered like not having a cat and instant ticket.
Im building a rally car and the sanctioning body requires a Cat on the exhaust. They have to be 'legal' since the transit between stages is on public roads. Having the cat on the end lets it be easily checked if it gets hit or crushed on the stage. It makes tech inspection a lot easier as they are supposed to check if it is a working cat and hasnt been gutted. As hard as I run my engine on stages it is better to have it a little back anyway so I dont melt it down. Having it at the end will also look pretty sweet glowing bright red

Im hoping I dont get a ticket for it, as it is my DD until I get it complete which wont be until late spring or summer of next year. the cost would just slow down the progress of my build
07dirtyaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
tykeeler

Question guys.... I cannot get the bolts (spring loaded) from the axle-back to come off...

Old 10-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #8
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
are they stripped or just stuck?

If they're stuck then spray the crap out of them every 15 mins for a couple hours with something like pb blaster and then try.

If they're stripped then spray the crap out of them and then use a bolt off socket (it worked for my stuck header gasket bolts).

Some people have had to use heat to remove them. worst case, drop the mid pipe and cut the bolts off and then drill out the part still stuck in the threads.

When you re install always use anti seize on exhaust components. If you likve in the salt belt like I di every few years I'd recommend removing the bolts re applying antiseize and re installing them.
Old 10-29-2015, 11:40 AM   #9
tykeeler

It's a 2014 so it's not like they're old... it's just stuck.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:50 AM   #10
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
As the saying goes:

"If it's jammed, force it! If it breaks...it probably needed to be replaced anyway."

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 10-29-2015, 12:03 PM   #11
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by tykeeler View Post
It's a 2014 so it's not like they're old... it's just stuck.

A bolt is only "stuck" because you aren't using enough force to break it (unless it's self welded but it's only a 2014) Use a breaker bar or better yet air tools. You'll thank yourself for work you do down the road.