Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-30-2015, 01:13 AM   #1
maralieus

Drives: 2007 toyota yaris s
new to yaris, looking for input

Just got a 07 yaris s 5 speed a couple weeks ago and have been doing pretty much all my research on this site. Lots of great info and a lot of great ideas and even PARTS from members here! I love it! Since I got my yaris I immediately fell in love with it. I live in northern California and have to drive through the "canyon" daily. I was driving a Nissan xterra before and now driving the yaris is beyond night and day! It handles so well.

Ok , so I have so far replaced the front pads and rotors(Wagner thermoquiet, raybestos rotors), put in Napa (supposedly Valvoline) synthetic , mt90 tranny fluid, k&n filter (damn CARB!!), I've bled the slave cylinder to get rid of the clutch chatter. The PO installed MOMO's, with 215/45r17 sumitomo P01 tires which i love. I'm also contemplating rear sway bar and a MI manifold spacer. I am also thinking about the lighter crank pulley (no underdrive since I have a bigger stereo), but I'm worried about any harmonic issues(bring on the info!) I'm also concerned about the spacer causing me to lose too much low end torque which I very much love about this small car in this area. Any other suggestions for me are more than welcome. I'm handy with tools and I'm addicted to driving this little 4 banger! :) I know there's lots of great ideas, I'd love to hear some that will boost performance without hurting any reliability or durability. 1zz throttle body? Idk, can the idle be managed? Lighter crank pulley? Idk, does it unbalance the crank ? Can I do better than my sumitomo p01's? Thanks for any input !
maralieus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:32 AM   #2
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
Of the things you are contemplating to get, you must get the rear sway bar. Don't need the other stuff.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
Squid111999

Drives: 08 Yaris hatch
No pic??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Squid111999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 02:57 AM   #4
maralieus

http://imgur.com/UYh3oN7

http://imgur.com/V9wJpes
Old 10-30-2015, 08:47 AM   #5
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Here's my input seeing seeing i'm in a similar situation to you in regards to what you're looking to get out of the car.

Handling mods (best bang for buck)
1. Rear sway bar
2. Tein coilovers (can get lowering springs instead but aftermarket sport struts/shocks are hard to come by and TRD's are overpriced.
3. Tires
4. Steel brake lines

Performance:
1. DC sports header (improves low end torque)
2.1zz throttle body mod
3. Port the stock intake manifold using JB Weld
4. Aftermarket short ram intake
5. Resonator back exhaust
6. Lightweight drive pulley (didn't notice a huge difference w/ mine)
7. Lightweight flywheel and improved clutch

These aren't in a super specific order but the 1 through 3 are pretty good mods to do first.

Others will have good input as well. If you can find a manifold spacer online then go for it. I will improve low end torque not diminish it. They are just non existent now a days a i've been looking for one for a while now.

I haven't noticed any harmonic issues w/ my drive pulley, just go with a MI one a you'll be fine.

Enjoy your Yaris, it's a reliable DD that you can push very hard and have no issues with as long as you maintain it.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
invader166
Pumpman

Drives: 2019 Kia Soul EV Base
Agreed with tmontague!

For handeling, the rear swaybar is a must!! For suspenssion grab a set of microimage springs. (Tein coilovers would be ideal, but some people don't wanna spend $1000+ a pop on their cars.) They offer a good amount of drop without hurting comfort or drivability. I'm instaling the braded SS brake lines next week. Hope my pedal will gain some firmness, right now it feels like i'm almost pushing it to the floor!

For performance, do the things listed, they will definitly add some more fun to the car. I've had my microimage crank pulley for a few months now and the only "issue" i've noticed is a small rummble at iddle for half a second that goes away faily quickly, but i've seen many other cars doing the same thing, so definitly not a problem as far as i'm conceirned.

Enjoy it! It is a beautiful little car that'll take care of you if you take care of it.

Edit: Upon further investigation, I'm starting to suspect my torque converter might be the cause of the rummble at iddle, not the crank pulley.

Last edited by invader166; 10-31-2015 at 09:28 PM.
invader166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 11:42 AM   #7
maralieus

Wow thanks for the input so far guys! Jb weld the manifold? Is it THAT tough in there!? Lol. Might have to look into that one. I have too much jb weld as it is. The suspension is definitely some good suggestions. I can't do the header as fat as I understand because of the California CARB laws and smog but if I'm wrong on that I'll be more than glad to get one. Same with the ram air intake. Not allowed in California. You can't have any different exhaust, or intake also you can't even have a pair on nunchakus in your house or its a felony. Silly cali.. anyways. Keep em coming! I'm trying to get my pictures up, just having issues with the site....or my phone, not sure which.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:45 AM   #8
maralieus

http://imgur.com/UYh3oN7
http://imgur.com/V9wJpes
http://imgur.com/YHVNac3

Here's some pics??
Old 10-30-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by maralieus View Post
Wow thanks for the input so far guys! Jb weld the manifold? Is it THAT tough in there!? Lol. Might have to look into that one. I have too much jb weld as it is. The suspension is definitely some good suggestions. I can't do the header as fat as I understand because of the California CARB laws and smog but if I'm wrong on that I'll be more than glad to get one. Same with the ram air intake. Not allowed in California. You can't have any different exhaust, or intake also you can't even have a pair on nunchakus in your house or its a felony. Silly cali.. anyways. Keep em coming! I'm trying to get my pictures up, just having issues with the site....or my phone, not sure which.
Silly Cali, indeed. It's home, but that doesn't stop me from criticizing it.
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:31 PM   #10
tmontague

Then in your case go with all handling mods and anything you can get away with in regards to the engine. Toyotas aren't really tunable which I the downfall to them in regard to performance.

MI springs are awesome and we'll priced but when you compare lowering spring with a set of TRD sport struts/shocks you might as well spend an extra $100-$200 more on Teine basic coilovers. They aren't dampening adjustable but but height is and they are stiffer than oem struts/shocks.

Just a thought

EDIT*. Just realized that you may be able to get away with the 1zz TB and manifold port. I don't know how Cali does there emissions testing bu there's no way a tech is going to know you have a 1zz TB on there or the inside of your intake ported. Even the exhaust header they won't see unless they're specifically looking for that. Although if looked for the header is obvious.

Last edited by tmontague; 10-30-2015 at 12:43 PM.
tmontague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 PM   #11
maralieus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Then in your case go with all handling mods and anything you can get away with in regards to the engine. Toyotas aren't really tunable which I the downfall to them in regard to performance.

MI springs are awesome and we'll priced but when you compare lowering spring with a set of TRD sport struts/shocks you might as well spend an extra $100-$200 more on Teine basic coilovers. They aren't dampening adjustable but but height is and they are stiffer than oem struts/shocks.

Just a thought

EDIT*. Just realized that you may be able to get away with the 1zz TB and manifold port. I don't know how Cali does there emissions testing bu there's no way a tech is going to know you have a 1zz TB on there or the inside of your intake ported. Even the exhaust header they won't see unless they're specifically looking for that. Although if looked for the header is obvious.
Yeah im somewhat confident that as long as it doesn't look and sound like its been altered nobody would suspect a little ol' yaris. The header coming out the rear helps hide it fir sure. I might give that and a manifold spacer, if I can find one, a shot. As for the 1zz tb im a little worried about the high cold revs and crazy idling.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:01 PM   #12
tmontague

Don't be scared of the high revs and crazy idling. Do it properly an you won't have either.

Do the chip swap before you install it and turn down the idle screw. Once installed you can adjust the idle screw as needed.

I have never ever had an issue with erratic idle except when I backed the screw out way to far. Even then it was only on start up when cold it would go from 2000rpm to 3000rpm up and down.

The highest my idle has ever been is just below 2500rpm. Run a synthetic oil if you live in a very cold climate so it doesn't have to pump thick crap in the mornings and you're fine.

If you run the 1zz tb make sure you port the manifold, it makes it much more worth it and the cops won't know.

You could also run a K&n filter in the air box and cut out the charcoal filter so the engine can breath better with the header and tb. Cops won't know unless they start taking apart your car.
Old 10-31-2015, 12:58 AM   #13
maralieus

How did the throttlebody swap affect your gas mileage?? I know it had to have made a good boost in power, I bet it would be nice with one of those manifold spacers. Found your post and the original one despite the failing search function. It would be a very tough mod to find for those smog guys! :)
Old 10-31-2015, 07:56 AM   #14
tmontague

Hasn't really affected my gas mileage at all except for the fact that I drive w/ a heavier foot now because it's more fun. Still getting 6L/100km give or take half a liter.

The TB swap isn't nearly a good with the stock manifold, porting it was what made the largest difference. And yes, the manifold spacer would be awesome if one could be found.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:05 AM   #15
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post

The TB swap isn't nearly a good with the stock manifold, porting it was what made the largest difference. And yes, the manifold spacer would be awesome if one could be found.
I can't find any information on this "porting the manifold." can you explain or post a hyperlink?

what is this JB weld mod you speak of?

you talk of this " 1zz chip swap" but the DIY seems to be missing. what does this mean?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:10 AM   #16
SirDigby

Drives: 2007 yaris 3 door
I can't find any d030 TB's yet, just d031.
I find a lot of 22041 TB's though. is that one useable?
SirDigby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:37 AM   #17
LTHatch

Drives: 2013 Yaris Hatchback L
Here is the stock manifold port thread http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...+throttle+body

If you're looking for a 0D30 throttle body, here is an example of one on ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Corol...lWJQM1&vxp=mtr
You can get a better deal than that of course, its just an example.

1zz chip swap http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...=14672&page=18 Scroll down a bit in the thread for the pictures and good information on it.
LTHatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 11:56 AM   #18
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDigby View Post
I can't find any d030 TB's yet, just d031.
I find a lot of 22041 TB's though. is that one useable?
If you're doing the chip swap then it doesn't matter which TB you go with as long as it is drive by wire and fits the corolla/matrix engine.

I believe mine was in a big number range which also covered 22041 that you mentioned above. When I actually got it in the mail it had the range of numbers and then also has d031 on it as well. Still worked with the chip swap. I didn't want to pay triple the price for a brand new d030 so I went with the one I bought for less than $40 and it's been great.

The DIY posted above for the port is a good one. I ended up porting more when I did mine so the manifold opening is slightly bigger than the 1ZZ TB opening so there is virtually no restriction
http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55464