Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-27-2018, 11:21 AM   #1
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
2019 Yaris Sedan

I follow a gal on Wheelwell that works for Toyota. She posted about being excited for Toyota's 2019 lineup and shared some links, including this one on the 2019 Yaris Sedan.

I have to admit, I was impressed by the interior. The exterior, on the other hand, not so much. What do you guys think? This is just a re-badged Mazda, right? Love it? Hate it?

She also shared some links on the new Avalon, Corolla hatchback, Rav 4 and Supra. If interested in checking out the other vehicles links, you can see her post on Wheelwell here.
Attached Images

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 01:17 PM   #2
ACKING_QC
ManualTransmissionLearner

Drives: 2018 VW TSi Stage1
that front grille needs to go...FAST.... back end looks Mazda.... this interior looks like a 2018 CX3 GT..

the overall design is Mazda... CHANGE ALL THIS god damn it... what happenned to the Vios ?? god damn I don't like these rebranding craps...

40mm Lift Kit, off road looking wheels/tire, Clear Tail lights, C-WEST grille, Black Housing headlights, Rear JDM Bumper (if I can find one), Semi Stripped interior, Custom paint job, custom roof rack
ACKING_QC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 02:29 PM   #3
m.flores.0928

Drives: 2014 Yaris
I don't understand why toyota keeps pushing the silly rebadged Mazda 2 agenda. Mazda, go make your cars. Let Toyota make theirs. Toyota has been focusing way more on the Mazda 2 badge engineered ugly thing. They largely ignore the ACTUAL Yaris (the actual NCP Yaris with the NZ engines, etc) in favor for Mazda's weird thing. I don't get it. It looks hideous. It has way more features for similar pricing and hugely undercuts the ACTUAL Yaris. It utterly blows my mind.

Even the outgoing iM was a genuine Toyota car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
m.flores.0928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #4
Kalispel

Drives: '15 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
I follow a gal on Wheelwell that works for Toyota. She posted about being excited for Toyota's 2019 lineup and shared some links, including this one on the 2019 Yaris Sedan.

I have to admit, I was impressed by the interior. The exterior, on the other hand, not so much. What do you guys think? This is just a re-badged Mazda, right? Love it? Hate it?

She also shared some links on the new Avalon, Corolla hatchback, Rav 4 and Supra. If interested in checking out the other vehicles links, you can see her post on Wheelwell here.
Lame 4th year model refresh on the iA. Looks like they basically just upgraded the headlights from the sad 1990 halogen-reflectors ones they had, & finally added the missing fog lights to the same horrible front grill/bumper design. Based on what I have read online from various owners of the iA, this car has its fair share of serious quality/reliability issues. Sadly, by giving this car the Yaris name, it is being lumped together with the Yaris hatch in a lot data gathering, and dragging down reliability rankings for the Yaris model name as a whole.

I think that the all-new 2019 'Corolla Hatchback' (Auris/iM) will sell decent enough in its first year due to its newness & wow-factor, but that the all-new 2020 Corolla sedan will seriously upstage it by the end of 2019. Current numbers has x1 Corolla iM hatch selling for every x35 Corolla sedans sold. I think that trend will continue in this market with both hatch & sedan new generation models. There is no love for hatchbacks (cars) by the overwhelming majority in the U.S., unless they are in the form of a goofy, lifted crossover or SUV.

I will likely be working remotely from home full-time soon, so I am even wondering if I should be considering a new car in late 2019 or even 2020. Outside of current work-commuting, I drive maybe 25-30 total miles per week. I will have to start taking deliberate, unnecessary trips around town during the week/weekend just to give her minimal mandatory mechanical exercise, new car or not. Seems like a waste.

Last edited by Kalispel; 03-28-2018 at 12:38 AM.
Kalispel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
TYaris2010

Drives: 2010 Yaris
yea the huge black front grill thing....wth

where do you mount a front license plate in states that require it? (else get a ticket)
TYaris2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #6
yarisugi
やりすぎだ~

Drives: Me: Nuts:
From Scion iA to Toyota iA to Toyota Yaris sedan.
They must be guessing the "iA" moniker wasn't a hot seller.
With that mug, it won't sell under any name they slap on it.
I wish Mazda brought back the 2 to the states. I would by the 2 over this sedan any day.
yarisugi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #7
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
...Sadly, by giving this car the Yaris name, it is being lumped together with the Yaris hatch in a lot data gathering, and dragging down reliability rankings for the Yaris model name as a whole.
Ouch; not cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalispel View Post
I will likely be working remotely from home full-time soon, so I am even wondering if I should be considering a new car in late 2019 or even 2020. Outside of current work-commuting, I drive maybe 25-30 total miles per week. I will have to start taking deliberate, unnecessary trips around town during the week/weekend just to give her minimal mandatory mechanical exercise, new car or not. Seems like a waste.
Welcome to my world. The last two companies I've worked for, over the last 6 yrs or so, have been out of state. I've worked for them remotely from my home office. Looking for excuses to drive is a real thing that I know very well lol. I also know about wanting a new car for the sake of wanting to try something new, but not being able to justify it given the non-commute. First world problems, eh?

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:29 PM   #8
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarisugi View Post
From Scion iA to Toyota iA to Toyota Yaris sedan.
They must be guessing the "iA" moniker wasn't a hot seller.
With that mug, it won't sell under any name they slap on it.
I wish Mazda brought back the 2 to the states. I would by the 2 over this sedan any day.

Doesn't Mazda have the 2 still in hatch form? Like, the actual Mazda with the Mazda badge and everything

Old 03-28-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.flores.0928 View Post
Doesn't Mazda have the 2 still in hatch form? Like, the actual Mazda with the Mazda badge and everything

Yes but not in the US.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:44 PM   #10
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Yes but not in the US.

Well carmax has a bunch. These are used, of course. Mazda stopped selling the 2 brand new entirely in the US?

https://www.carmax.com/cars/mazda/mazda2

Old 03-28-2018, 12:51 PM   #11
NYC-SE

Drives: 2014 Yaris SE
Those are last generation cars. Mazda no longer sells 2s here.
NYC-SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 12:56 PM   #12
m.flores.0928

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC-SE View Post
Those are last generation cars. Mazda no longer sells 2s here.

At least now it makes a LITTLE more sense why Toyota is keeping this abomination around.

Kinda reminds me of that old badge engineered Corolla that GM was selling back when Geo was a thing. The Geo Prism. Also the Pontiac Vibe. I don't get it.

Old 03-28-2018, 07:04 PM   #13
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
This likely is a way for Toyota to compete with the likes of Hyundai and other less reliable companies that have low prices with a lot of add-ons.

I personally wouldn't go for it. If I want a reliable car I'll pay for a proper Toyota and get a reliable car.