Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #37
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTM Yaris View Post

Good to hear you are back on track (pun intended) I was trying to get there but we had an Intra-Op CT scheduled for that day , 2 Nuero Surgeons insisted that I be there during the proceedure . Yes I said INTRA-OP CT . Yes that means a CT scan ( 2 actually , pre and post , both with contrast) DURING the surgery . A Trans Sphenoidal Tumor to be exact .

Feels good to be needed .

Should be interesting to read what JonK has to say , for sure .
wow crazy... ive been doing alot of pediatric cases lately. i am learning to set up and run the pump, im pretty excited! we did a tetralogy of fallot repair today, he did a transseptal patch over the pulmonary valve to relieve the stenosis, it was pretty wicked!

i can tell you now that the shocks had a several second improvement in laptimes. that was the only variable changed, the shocks. we didnt even really do much adjustment either. anyways, full write up is coming :D
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 11:11 PM   #38
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
kngrsll, thanks for the testing and for hopefully a hook up. The shocks/struts sound great!
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:36 AM   #39
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatchbackkid82 View Post
OK so How much??????

OK how much with a set of springs that bring them to their full or fullish potential?
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 AM   #40
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
Thats funny it has a cavalier on the fitment guide..
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:03 PM   #41
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

So they should be available around mid June and should cost around $800 for a set. I really love the set I got, they did awesome at the track! Still working on that write up, school has been mega busy! here are the part numbers:

HTS116FR
HTS116FL
HTS116R
Old 05-28-2009, 12:23 AM   #42
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
$800 for adjustable struts/shocks, no springs?
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #43
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Drives: 07 Yaris LB, 04 Cobra
Jesus that is rediculous. HTS are supposed to be good, but the price is a little extreme for a single adjustable shock.
largeorangefont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM   #44
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
crazy price, might as well go with coilovers for that price considering there isn't a spring made that can keep up with the HTS shock.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 AM   #45
TheRealEnth
Beast

Drives: 2007 Blz Blu LB
Send a message via AIM to TheRealEnth
well you could always get just the rears and adjust them or vice versa, then get blues on the other end

One you've taken a yaris for a spin, there's no turning back.
Its a Chao!!!
TheRealEnth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:42 AM   #46
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

With the adjustable shocks there are only a couple settings that will properly damp your springs. Once they are set you are good, and you pretty much leave them on track or street.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:53 AM   #47
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
that does seem pricey -- wow. Megan coilovers are $860 shipped.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #48
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
Doesn't seem too bad when compared with the C-One dampers: $1115 without springs. As soon as there's a competent spring set, I think these HTS's will be fantastic.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 10:58 AM   #49
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cali yaris View Post
that does seem pricey -- wow. Megan coilovers are $860 shipped.
It seems that they are between $750 and $850 for all applications. They are not going to sell many of those until the price comes down.

I was expecting around $500, in line with the old Illumnias.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:00 AM   #50
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbond View Post
Doesn't seem too bad when compared with the C-One dampers: $1115 without springs. As soon as there's a competent spring set, I think these HTS's will be fantastic.
That is the other problem. No one makes stiff lowering springs to really utilize these dampers.

Using these with Tanabe, TRD, or Tein lowering springs is kind of a waste.
Old 05-28-2009, 11:21 AM   #51
mrbond

Drives: 2008 meteorite hatchback
Send a message via AIM to mrbond
I wonder if those new Tigertec springs Garm's going to start selling would be stiff enough. The spring rates were pretty damn high in comparisson to like Tanabe and such: 4k front/ 3.1k rear.
mrbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:56 PM   #52
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

I am hoping to get Ground Control to make coilovers so any spring rate can be used.

And i would love to see a comparison on the 750-850 coilover dampers to the Tokico HTS. I think that would tell quite a story on where the price goes.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM   #53
largeorangefont
Break'em off some.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kngrsll View Post
I am hoping to get Ground Control to make coilovers so any spring rate can be used.

And I would love to see a comparison on the 750-850 coilover dampers to the Tokico HTS. I think that would tell quite a story on where the price goes.
The end result will probably be very similar overall. You are talking $400 for GC coilovers at a minimum. You will also probably need to limit suspension down travel in the rear somehow to keep the rear springs from falling out. The stock struts have a lot of droop as do the HTS rear shocks.

Megans/K Sports etc aren't the best coilovers, but they are pretty decent, and will work just fine for 99% of the Yaris track dogs. The cheaper price is pretty compelling for a such a cheap vehicle.
Old 05-29-2009, 08:39 AM   #54
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by largeorangefont View Post
The end result will probably be very similar overall. You are talking $400 for GC coilovers at a minimum. You will also probably need to limit suspension down travel in the rear somehow to keep the rear springs from falling out. The stock struts have a lot of droop as do the HTS rear shocks.

Megans/K Sports etc aren't the best coilovers, but they are pretty decent, and will work just fine for 99% of the Yaris track dogs. The cheaper price is pretty compelling for a such a cheap vehicle.
Most of the fast Honda track/autox cars ive seen in my experience were using the GC/Koni set up. The HTS are just as good if not better than the OTS yellows, so there is a ton of potential. Will that level of suspension quality matter to most owners? Apparently not, its more about saving $400 than about picking the pieces that can really maximize the cars potential in competition (that have ACTUAL dyno graphs with adjustablity that does what it is supposed to.) Granted, most yaris owners are not going to take their cars to nationals, regionals, or try to win SCCA autoxs or time trial, but to me, id rather fork out the extra $400 for components i trust.

For example, i used to have a 240sx that was built like your typical tuner car. Lots of bracing, big brake kit, adjustable arms, big wheels, and D2 coilovers. So i autox'd a few times and really got interested in it. A guy i started hanging out with gave me some advice, build your car to fit a class and maximize its potential instead of throwing random parts at it that you dont know how to adjust. So i sold the big brakes, sold the braces and arms, and used that money to buy slicks, bushings, and driving time at autox and track days. The car drove so much better! With a proper alignment at a race shop with settings derived for performance driving, i was now winning autox's regularly (in my class of course lol.) The next big crux? The cheapo D2 coilovers. I got rid of them to run koni yellows and GC's, and again the same result. The car improved ALOT. The dampers actually worked, they actually responded to adjustment as well! I nearly won a regional event, and a i made a former national champion mad bc i was so close to his time and i was just so no name kid who had gotten good advice and listened to it. So the moral of the story is, if you want to race and compete, you really need to think about the parts you select. I have applied those lessons to my newest car and its gone very well. It is well balanced, great to drive, and easy to maintain. My first mod was an a custom alignment which made a massive difference. The next mod was the springs, which didnt really change anything bc they were near stock rates. The final mod was the dampers/rear sway bar which really changed the car. It is an amazing little machine to drive now...

Im not saying the ebay coilovers have their place. If you really want to slam your car for cheap, they are great. If you want to race at a high level of competition, i dont think they are going to cut it.

so overall, i guess i do agree with you... but it still makes me frustrated lol