Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-13-2009, 04:03 AM   #37
AdeJong 03
"Stealth Runner"

Drives: 2009 Yaris-S Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by frownonfun View Post
can you stop saying compressors are completely unnecessary. they are a safe way to get the stock spring off the stock strut. not sure how that is unnecessary. were u able to do it without hurting yourself? maybe. but that doesn't make it safe.
i just did my suspension the other day and it came off completely fine. i rented a spring compressor and it ended up being a complete waste of time (not money since rental is free)
AdeJong 03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #38
regal

Drives: 09 Yaris 3 Dr White LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
In all honesty, like a few other stated as well, you more than likely will just set the coilovers on a setting and never change them again. It's a lot of money to spend on something you might only mess with very sparingly. Before spending alot of money on coilovers, I HIGHLY suggest you spend the $300, which is nothing compared to a decent set of coilovers, see how you like the setup (of which I'm sure you would love it!) before spending that kind of amount.

Are there springs available with rates as high as coilovers? I wish my TRD springs were stiffer, but don't know that my Tokico Blues could handle a stiffer spring. Looking back, I think coilovers may make a lot of sense for the Yaris.
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 10:18 AM   #39
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
Well as far as I know, the AOE TigerTec springs are the hightest spring rate available right now for lowering springs, not comparing to coilovers. The TigerTecs are 4k front and 3k in the rear. From my guess, they are a great bit stiffer than the TRD springs. Anyone care to chime in that knows for sure?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:29 AM   #40
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
I wonder if there is any way to modify that torsion beam? in the back of our cars so that we can cut it in the middle, and attach it to the car in some other fashion. This way we get truely independant rear suspension. It has always been a thought. ugh the amount of stuff I want to do to my car is rediculous. I can't keep thinking at about this stuff lol.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #41
rob323
Don't drive it, RALLY it!

Drives: 1999 echo PRC rally car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I wonder if there is any way to modify that torsion beam? in the back of our cars so that we can cut it in the middle, and attach it to the car in some other fashion. This way we get truely independant rear suspension. It has always been a thought. ugh the amount of stuff I want to do to my car is rediculous. I can't keep thinking at about this stuff lol.
Not easily due to the pivot point being located infront of the beam. You may as well fabricate a whole new rear beam setup from scratch instead.
rob323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #42
frownonfun

Drives: 09 Yaris HB, 08 SR5 Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeJong 03 View Post
i just did my suspension the other day and it came off completely fine. i rented a spring compressor and it ended up being a complete waste of time (not money since rental is free)
ok fair enough. i just don't think everyone necessarily knows what they are doing if it's their first time doing this. and plus since they are free and take less than 5 mins to put on i don't see the harm in using them. but if you guys are absolutely sure no one could ever possibly hurt themselves taking off the yaris stock springs then i'll shut up. i just personally would never count out the possibility.
frownonfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 07:20 PM   #43
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Racer. You said you were thinking about getting coils. Do you want them for adjusting the Dampning of the shocks if so them look the the Tokico HTS shocks and struts more than the standard pair but worth it too!!
Old 09-13-2009, 08:03 PM   #44
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
independant rear trailing arm is still garbage. it serves no purpose, and the fact that you'd have to put a big F.U. rear swaybar, so you're not independant anymore anyway. your alignment problems associated with trailing arm still exist.

add that to the extra weight required to pull it off and you've just done a pointless mod.

edit:

Volkswagen rabbit/gti is the godfather of the trailing arm rear suspension. if VW could have improved on it by now, they would have. the R32 rear suspension is essentially what you'd be doing if you cut your beam in half, however, they add another control arm to the mix.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.

Last edited by Tamago; 09-13-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:16 PM   #45
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilredrocket View Post
Racer. You said you were thinking about getting coils. Do you want them for adjusting the Dampning of the shocks if so them look the the Tokico HTS shocks and struts more than the standard pair but worth it too!!
do they even make those shocks for the car? I actually wanted only about .5-1" clearance and wanted to be able to adjust the dampening. I'm going to get the tokico blue's and see how I feel about the car with them on.
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:22 PM   #46
lilredrocket
Slowy getting there

Drives: 08 Liftback
Don't get the blues then the HTSs (reds) ask Garm I believe he can get the reds they are a little over double the cost of blues I think. Kngrsll has the reds on his car
Old 09-13-2009, 11:38 PM   #47
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

rofl... a little over double the cost is about $700 and for tripple I can get BC coilovers. My original intention was to get coilovers but I got springs for temp cuz they are cheap but I'd rather get blue's and get coilovers later than pay that much for struts.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #48
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
After you get the blues and throw all your goodies on, you might just end up keeping that setup. Never know!
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 AM   #49
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

exactly... I'm gonna get 5zigen fn01r-c 16x7 +33 with 10mm penguin spacers on the rear :D soI'll see how the setup looks with the drop.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #50
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
i love my shocks and springs, i wouldnt trade them for any coilover i have seen yet. i cant wait to try out some of the stiffer rear Fit springs. it handles really well with the stock rear fit springs on it now.
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:02 PM   #51
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Well for starters I am seriously considering the Tokico HTS Adjustable Shocks but I can't find them for less than $800 and for $100 more I can buy coilovers so I think that will be the best option. Now do I go with megan coilovers (5kf/6kr) or bc coilovers (6kf/3kr)?

Last edited by RacerFreakXXX; 09-17-2009 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:47 AM   #52
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

o0o another question... are 16x8 +35 with 205/50r16 tires too wide (worried about the wheel scrapping the suspension not the fender.
Old 09-19-2009, 12:48 AM   #53
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerFreakXXX View Post
o0o another question... are 16x8 +35 with 205/50r16 tires too wide (worried about the wheel scrapping the suspension not the fender.
it won't scrape on the inboard.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 12:54 AM   #54
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

tamango, i feel like you are one of the few people here with any knowledge of this stuff and I might as well just be pm'ing you, lol... thanks for the info.