Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 09-19-2010, 06:49 AM   #1
donchae
noob-toob

Drives: 2007 yaris 4dr sedan
RIMS a Noob-toob question =]

noob here..

i just got my AMAZING '07 yaris 3 days ago..

was thinking of putting alloy rims on it.. found 2 different kinds. both have 4x100 bolt patter and are 15"
give em a good clean and i wanna paint em matte black (or maybe gun powder colour)

this one looks a lil chunky but looks pretty cool, i think

this one's from a '93 honda prelude, simple and basic pattern

i'm new to this kind of things.. i've always wanted to do some DIY stuff with the cars i've owned, but never really got to it coz i've always looked for different cars.

but now, i think i've found the car that i'm willing to spent my time on

all comments and suggestions will be appreciated

donchae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
padre1964

Drives: I'm back !! 2012 Toyota Yaris
go with the first set
Old 09-19-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Klink10

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Weigh em and go with the lightest.
Klink10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:13 AM   #4
donchae
noob-toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klink10 View Post
Weigh em and go with the lightest.
hmmm.. how will the weight of the rims affect the car? what would be the "ideal" weight for a yaris?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Quote:
Originally Posted by donchae View Post
hmmm.. how will the weight of the rims affect the car? what would be the "ideal" weight for a yaris?
This little car really feels every pound of wheel weight. There have been many posts regarding performance difference when people drop to lower weight wheels.

Many inexpensive wheels, while they look great can be extremely heavy, weighing in at as much as 22 pounds depending on diameter. I personally would not put on anything over 16 pounds. Wheels can be found that come in at approx. 9 lbs each but at a cost. Striving for between 12 and 14 pounds I would say is ideal.
Old 09-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
kimona
Super Moderator

Drives: 2014 White VITZ
Wheel offset on the second set should be okay. Check for proper offset on the first set. For everday driving, the significance of wheel weight (even on this tiny car) is often over-emphasized. However, super light wheels will negatively affect driving comfort and even compromise performance on the road, while really heavy wheels will have an almost imperceptible negative affect on acceleration, but fuel economy will be slightly compromised. Go with the wheel you like the best.

BTW, what colour is your sedan?
kimona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
donchae
noob-toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
This little car really feels every pound of wheel weight. There have been many posts regarding performance difference when people drop to lower weight wheels.

Many inexpensive wheels, while they look great can be extremely heavy, weighing in at as much as 22 pounds depending on diameter. I personally would not put on anything over 16 pounds. Wheels can be found that come in at approx. 9 lbs each but at a cost. Striving for between 12 and 14 pounds I would say is ideal.
Thanks WeeYari!! i should do some more readings around eh. you guys are very informative and helpful.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #8
donchae
noob-toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
Wheel offset on the second set should be okay. Check for proper offset on the first set. For everday driving, the significance of wheel weight (even on this tiny car) is often over-emphasized. However, super light wheels will negatively affect driving comfort and even compromise performance on the road, while really heavy wheels will have an almost imperceptible negative affect on acceleration, but fuel economy will be slightly compromised. Go with the wheel you like the best.

BTW, what colour is your sedan?
i think they'd call it (here in canada) bayou blue. i believe it's a base model but it's got the sport trim and all power options. i'm planning on painting the badges so that it's the same with the rims.

**edit: the owner of the first pic said that the offset of the rims were 35 and that they won't fit the yaris (he originally bought them for his yaris, but they didn't fit)

Old 09-19-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
donchae,

Although I don't personally care for the first ones pictured, a +35 offset with a 4X100 pattern should fit. Only thing that could be stopping them if the current owner is correct in them not fitting would be too small of a hub bore. That, or they are 8 inches wide.

Also, regarding your response to kimona, the sedan never came in Bayou Blue. It was offered in Pacific Blue Metallic and Nautical Blue Metallic. Pacific Blue was close to Bayou Blue
Old 09-19-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
Preludes never came with a 4x100 bolt pattern. They were 4x4.5/114.3
Old 09-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
Either way, Honda hubs are smaller than Toyota hubs, so you'd have to bore the centers out or they won't bolt up.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #12
33OH

Drives: '08 Yaris
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
80-91 Preludes were 4x100, but the wheels in question above are definitely 4x114.3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
Either way, Honda hubs are smaller than Toyota hubs, so you'd have to bore the centers out or they won't bolt up.
Not entirely true, a lot of members are running Civic SI wheels. I'm too lazy to look up the exact dimensions of the hubs for Hondas, but I know some do fit.

OP - our hubs are 54.1mm, do a little research on the hub of the wheel you are purchasing or you may end of having to bore them out as Bluevitz is saying.
33OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #13
donchae
noob-toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeYari View Post
donchae,

Also, regarding your response to kimona, the sedan never came in Bayou Blue. It was offered in Pacific Blue Metallic and Nautical Blue Metallic. Pacific Blue was close to Bayou Blue
you're right! pacific is VERY close to bayou blue.

Old 09-20-2010, 04:11 AM   #14
donchae
noob-toob

as for the wheels, gentlemen, thank you for the help. for now i'm gunn do a little bit more of searching regarding the prelude rims.. i really like them and i think that they would look really nice with the yaris.. i'm gunn have a look at them personally and see what happens from there.

Old 09-20-2010, 08:14 AM   #15
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
Oops, sorry it's the other way around. I ran Toyota rims on my Honda and had to bore them out.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:01 AM   #16
why?
Only Happy When it Rains

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimona View Post
However, super light wheels will negatively affect driving comfort and even compromise performance on the road,
Just curious about this. How are they suppose to negatively affect driving comfort and performance?

I can say I don't think there have been any negatives with my wheels, but I am curious.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM   #17
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by why? View Post
Just curious about this. How are they suppose to negatively affect driving comfort and performance?

I can say I don't think there have been any negatives with my wheels, but I am curious.
Me too very curious about that as well. My current rims just changed 3 days ago to Volk Racing CE28N 14 x 5.5 inch (185/65/14). Before that i am using the SSR Type-F 15 x 7 (195/55/15).

The feel & response of the engine now is so much lighter/faster acceleration. As for comfort level, it drive & absorb bumps so much BETTER now than before. (Due to my thicker tires side wall) I LOVE the feeling & the handling of my car now!! The more I drive it, the more i'm loving it!!!

Maybe the only negative effect i can think of now is the cornering speed, wider rims/tires width always offer sure foot to the ground. But once again, my yaris is daily street cars with many stop & go in my local traffic therefore i opt for the tiny rims/tires over the wider rims/tires. ;)

donchae: If you're choosing ONLY between this 2, i'll advise you to go for the lighter one. It gonna make a different in your tank mileage as well as faster acceleration for our tiny 1.5 engine.
1NZ-FE Yaris with JDM RS front & rear bumper | JDM Vitz RS taillamp | JDM Vitz window visors | JDM Vitz Netz logos | JDM leather steering wheel & shift knob | 4k HID | K&N panel filter | Fujitsubo Wagolis exhaust | NST 10% crank pully | KYB Excel-G shocks | NF210 Springs | Cusco 4 points lower arm bar & Type OS top struct bar | RZCrew sub-frame collars | Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar & rear lower & center braces | PG Rear 13mm hub spacers | Exzess 2-pot calipers with 282mm rotors | Runstop Rear Disc | SSR Semi-Forge Type F 15" rims | Michelin Pilot Sport 3 195/55/15 tyres
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 01:35 PM   #18
donchae
noob-toob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluevitz-rs View Post
i am just now realizing how much work i have to do with the rims if i buy them this way.. i was thinking on just actually ordering one, but i'll give this a shot.

and also with this, i'm learning more things about wheels. i didn't know what hub, boring, offset, and etc before i put this thread up.