Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Cosmetic Modifications (Exterior/Interior)
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-31-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Ash187

Drives: Toyota Yaris 1.3 Manual
First post from Yaris noob... Steering wheel and double din?

Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have just bought my GF a 2001 1.3 ltr Yaris in black. I am a retrofitter for Audi's but have no real knowledge on the Yaris.

I was wondering if I could upgrade the steering wheel on her Yaris to a nicer looking one with steering music controls and also keep the airbag? I don't really want to go for an aftermarket wheel, we will be upgrading the stereo to a double din soon too. I have tried searching around but not found much info on this.
I have seen a couple wheels on eBay with the music controls but what is needed to get that to wire into the stereo? I'm thinking a new loom but what else?

Also another thing regarding the double din... I have read that there are 2 types of fascia's, the one that the dealers sell that retain the ashtray and the aftermarket type that moves the 12v socket to the middle. I am not sure if I read this correctly but to allow me to install a pioneer double din screen do I have to use the aftermarket fascia as the one that Toyota sells wont give me the full room needed to install the stereo? I think it was something to do with the ashtray?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this stuff :)
Ash187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
nookandcrannycar

Drives: 2('14+'07)MT 3d ,wHandCrWndws!
Location: S.MontgomeryCnty,TX(HoustonMSA) '07=BayouBlue=300,125miles=OrigOwnr '14=ClassicSilvr=29,059miles
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ash187 View Post
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and have just bought my GF a 2001 1.3 ltr Yaris in black. I am a retrofitter for Audi's but have no real knowledge on the Yaris.

I was wondering if I could upgrade the steering wheel on her Yaris to a nicer looking one with steering music controls and also keep the airbag? I don't really want to go for an aftermarket wheel, we will be upgrading the stereo to a double din soon too. I have tried searching around but not found much info on this.
I have seen a couple wheels on eBay with the music controls but what is needed to get that to wire into the stereo? I'm thinking a new loom but what else?

Also another thing regarding the double din... I have read that there are 2 types of fascia's, the one that the dealers sell that retain the ashtray and the aftermarket type that moves the 12v socket to the middle. I am not sure if I read this correctly but to allow me to install a pioneer double din screen do I have to use the aftermarket fascia as the one that Toyota sells wont give me the full room needed to install the stereo? I think it was something to do with the ashtray?

Thanks to anyone who can help me with this stuff :)
Welcome! You might want to PM member CTScott re these questions. Also, he might see this and reply. Also, I think there's a slight chance (given the content) that the mods might move this thread to the 'In Car Entertainment' (etc) Section...so don't think your post has disappeared if it shows as moved .
nookandcrannycar is offline   Reply With Quote