Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-19-2007, 03:20 PM   #19
PetersRedYaris

Drives: 2005 Scion xB
Don't go with NF210's if you want soft. The ride is tolerable but I'm debating taking mine off and going back to the stock springs for the same reason. Yes, I know I have 17's with low profile tires, but I installed the springs 10,000 miles before the tires/wheels and have to say the springs made the biggest contribution to the stiff ride.
In addition, my NF210's dropped me over 1.5 inches and I scrape if I don't perfectly pull into my driveway (very frustrating). Has anyone else measured their long term settling with NF210's? Too much drop for me and too stiff.
Sorry I don't have a remedy for you, but I'll be interested in what you find.

Edit: Just read a post by C2AUTOSPL; the NF's are stiffer than the DF's in the rear. Is this a misprint?
PetersRedYaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:51 PM   #20
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I have the NF's and they feel just fine. Over the years lowering trucks and such I have found that nothing is going to be as good as the stock springs if your looking for ride comfort. If you want it lowered you will have to give up some feeling and yes it will be a little tighter, but if you had it lowered with the same give as stock springs your tire would be eatin the fender well. You have to find a happy medium.
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #21
Lafiro

Drives: 06 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to Lafiro
Even with stock tires, the ride is still very stiff and bumps are harsh.

So I dont know anymore. Do the bump stops have to be cut so the shock isnt under so much extra pressure/have so little room to move; or does it have to stay the same?

Im actually looking very closely at TEIN's suspension system in which EDFC is used to control soft/stiff shock settings, and this is in conjunction with different coilovers. I dont know what I will do, but I just want it to feel right for every occation and this seems very good right now compared to just changing to different springs.

So tomorrow i leave my car off so my door/quarter panel can be fixed from a old lady side swiping my car.... and now I have to most likely leave the car longer cause last night some drunk bit&^ hit my rear and sent me flying into the car infront of me, so now I need a new rear bumper and a new front grill. grrrrrrrr.... and to think just 4 days ago my front tire got a huge nail in it and a chunk of rubber was taken off, and my rear exploded so now Im stuck fixing both tires(well I have to buy all 4 new now)

Wow my bad luck this week with my car :(

Last edited by Lafiro; 08-19-2007 at 11:38 PM.
Lafiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 02:55 AM   #22
slvryaris

Drives: 2007 Yaris Sedan S
I cut the bump stops on mine. You will find mixed emotions about cutting them, but after I thought about it I cut mine before I installed. It gives extra travel as to were not cutting it I figured it would bottom out more (or hit the bump stop more) I would have my shocks checked because it sounds like your ride is stiffer then it should be. It might be something else, and I was curious if it has always rode like this?
slvryaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:11 AM   #23
Lafiro

Hmmmm, well its a very smooth ride and I like how it handles when I turn and stuff, but when a bump is a bit much, it really just hits, not something I like at all.

When its just an up and down, it stays solid, and it doesnt bounce back and forth like most cars do after a hill.

I dont know, but like I said, I live in a place where all the roads are like this unless I travel out far(where most of my friends are anyway). So this is the reason as to why I need it to be soft, but I wouldnt mind it stiff at times too to have fun. This is why Im looking into TEIN's EDFC before I go ahead and do NF's or something.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:32 AM   #24
YarisTom73
46 and 2, just ahead...

Drives: 07 Yaris sedan
I'm quite sure that the problem lies in changing the springs but using stock struts. Generally, springs and struts want to be done together, particularly TRD stuff where they are "matched" by Toyota. I encourage anyone with better info to correct me on this
I'm anxious to find out, before I make the same mod
YarisTom73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:38 AM   #25
nqd

Drives: 07 Yaris LB Absolute RED
does the edfc work with basics?
Old 08-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #26
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
Quote:
I'm quite sure that the problem lies in changing the springs but using stock struts.
I changed my springs first and they worked just fine with the stock struts/shocks. I wanted a little more stiffness (I do take my car to the track), so I changed to TRD struts/shocks.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:32 PM   #27
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
Are you looking to sell the TRD springs?
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:42 PM   #28
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Nobody mentioned spring clamps.
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:01 PM   #29
Lafiro

If I get another suspension, sure I will sell them, why not, I already got the originals laying around in a box, I dont think I will need the sportivo's doing the same.....
Old 08-20-2007, 11:25 PM   #30
churp
Clean and (dis)Functional

Drives: Yaris 2dr--Black Betty
Has anyone actually cut the coils to test it out? Maybe you should try it before buying another set of springs....all you'd be spending is labor.
Old 08-21-2007, 03:01 AM   #31
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by nqd View Post
does the edfc work with basics?
Nope only the Super Compacts or the Super Streets...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 04:00 PM   #32
Lafiro

Why can't I find the "Super Compact" on their website?
Old 08-22-2007, 02:21 PM   #33
nick1983

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
I've had the TRD springs for about a year now installed, and I must say im sick and tired of the bumps I feel, but thats also true cause I live in NYC, the place with the most/worst bumps everywhere.

I still would like to keep the car lowered, so being that, what can I get that can give me that lowered look but with a much softer ride? I dont want to hear "you can save by going with..."

I dont care if its going to cost $500 instead of the $200 those other springs cost. I just want a good ride, maybe even a recommendation on shocks or even struts?

Im going crazy, two nights ago ran over something and destroyed two of my tires. So now, not only do I need new tires, but I might as well get new rims. So while I'm at it, I need a softer suspension. BTW, I like the fact Volvo/Mercedes have buttons which you can change the feel of the road instantly from being very stiff to the point where you cant even feel bumps in the road, I wish i could do something like that to the car......
What are you going to do with your TRD's? If you are selling I may be interested
nick1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:32 PM   #34
Astroman
Modded Moderator

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris, 71 Galaxie
I already called dibbs
Astroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 04:05 PM   #35
Lafiro

Ha, and how about the others that PM'ed me before hand? Im not kidding ,,,

but I need answers first else I cant do anything at all.

I just got my car back from the shop and it looks awesome like the day I got it, not a scratch.... but I must say, TEIN might not want my business as 3 days now and no answer to my email. grr,,,
Old 08-23-2007, 07:40 AM   #36
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafiro View Post
Why can't I find the "Super Compact" on their website?
AFAIK TEIN only sells the Basic Compacts in the US, you'd have to get the Super Compacts from Japan.

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote