Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 02-29-2016, 03:56 PM   #1
Lightrfire

Drives: 2007 Yaris hatch
Car cranks but won't start after fuel pump replacement

So a few days ago my car cut out on me while I was driving. Towed it home and found out the fuel pump was dead. I changed the fuel pump with a new Toyota fuel pump and the car still will not start even with gas flowing through the lines. im getting 12v during crank at the fuel pump and with the line removed at the fuel rail I can physically see gas flowing out of the line. I checked spark on all 4 cut and spark is ok. I used a node light on all 4 injector connectors and that's fine as well. No check engine codes and the ecu is reading fine through my scan tool. I don't have a fuel pressure tester but it seems to be coming out ok. Haven't checked timing but the crank sounds healthy and normal. The old fuel pump was tested with 12v and it was indeed dead. I'm lost.... Any other ideas someone can throw my way?
Lightrfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #2
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Check your grounds that are bolted to the engine block.

This screwed with me twice when I took the head off of my Echo.

If you have a scan tool with it's own power supply plug it in and see if it runs. If it does than its the ground and it is grounding through your scan tool. The car will die once unplugged if that's the case
Old 02-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
Lightrfire

I checked the grounds as you suggested and they seem to be fine. I'm getting 0 ohms ground to block so I know it's grounded well
Old 02-29-2016, 07:28 PM   #4
tmontague

Are you getting a spark? You have fuel, but what about spark and compression. This likely has something to do w/ the earlier issue regarding the fuel pump but i'm not sure

EDIT*. Just re read your first post and you have spark. Anyone know of a reset switch anywhere sort of like a crash cut off found in ol Fords? I can't see why it's not catching if you have compression, fuel and spark
Old 02-29-2016, 08:30 PM   #5
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Are you getting a spark? You have fuel, but what about spark and compression. This likely has something to do w/ the earlier issue regarding the fuel pump but i'm not sure

EDIT*. Just re read your first post and you have spark. Anyone know of a reset switch anywhere sort of like a crash cut off found in ol Fords? I can't see why it's not catching if you have compression, fuel and spark
No - nothing like that for the Yaris. If the plugs are firing and injectors are clicking, the car should be firing. If it is not, then it should smell mighty flooded. If it does not, then either the injectors are not really firing or the pressure is too low to push fuel through them.
Old 02-29-2016, 08:45 PM   #6
Lightrfire

I'm going to get a compression tester and check compression tomorrow just to eliminate that as a cause. Are these cars known to jump timing out of the blue? It was seriously all fine before the fuel pump gave out I'm so confused... I've checked everything so far except for compression so I'll give that a try tomrrow since that's all that's left...
Old 02-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #7
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrfire View Post
I'm going to get a compression tester and check compression tomorrow just to eliminate that as a cause. Are these cars known to jump timing out of the blue? It was seriously all fine before the fuel pump gave out I'm so confused... I've checked everything so far except for compression so I'll give that a try tomrrow since that's all that's left...
With a timing chain, it is very difficult for timing to be an issue. If you try to crank it for a bit, does the exhaust smell like gas?
Old 03-01-2016, 07:32 AM   #8
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Apply gas or ether to the air intake. If it kicks you got no gas. If it don't you got no spark. Simple.

How's the fuses?

Good luck and tell us what happens.
Old 03-01-2016, 07:45 AM   #9
Lightrfire

I tried adding carb cleaner to the throttle while cranking with no luck. Spark has been verified already. All four are sparking
Old 03-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
tmontague

How did you determine that your fuel pump was originally faulty? The reason I ask is that the Yaris fuel pump is not known to commonly go. If this is the case then the original problem wasn't addressed hence the lack of start. What I find weird is that the car has never started since it originally cut out when you were driving. Seems that there may be another issue that happened and that still isn't fixed. Although what that issue is, is not very clear at this point.

As for timing, the chain can't really ever move by itself unless the timing cover was removed and tampered with.
Old 03-01-2016, 09:46 AM   #11
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
did you unplug either the injectors or the coils?

Make sure they're plugged back into the right spots.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
How did you determine that your fuel pump was originally faulty? The reason I ask is that the Yaris fuel pump is not known to commonly go. If this is the case then the original problem wasn't addressed hence the lack of start. What I find weird is that the car has never started since it originally cut out when you were driving. Seems that there may be another issue that happened and that still isn't fixed. Although what that issue is, is not very clear at this point.

As for timing, the chain can't really ever move by itself unless the timing cover was removed and tampered with.
I agree.
Old 03-01-2016, 10:48 AM   #13
bronsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightrfire View Post
I tried adding carb cleaner to the throttle while cranking with no luck. Spark has been verified already. All four are sparking
Hmm does cc work? I would try gas,ether.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:22 PM   #14
Lightrfire

I completely agree with you on the timing but I'm so out of ideas it's the last thing to check. The fuel pump check was simple. I got 12v during cranking. I pulled the fuel line off and cranked the car. No fuel came out. Pulled the pump out of the tank and put direct 12v to it and it didn't turn on. Changed the pump and now fuel comes out.

I did verify the elec plugs are all plugged in correctly and before I pulled the plugs off I marked them to which cyl so no mistakes there.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:30 PM   #15
Lightrfire

Oh to ct Scott the spark plugs were wet with gas after cranking so fuel does seem to be coming out of the injectors. I am wondering though if the injectors are plugged up though because when I initially changed the pump the gas that came out was black and was filthy.
Old 03-01-2016, 01:39 PM   #16
tmontague

you can try soaking them in some seafoam. Using rubber fuel line, a 9v battery and alligator clips I was able to make an injector cleaning rig. I put the rubber line on top of the injector and filled it with seafoam. The put my mouht on it and puffed my cheeks with air to pressurize it. Then use the battery with wire to pulse the injector. Quite a bit of dirt was found in the used seafoam.

It's rudimentary but works. I just can't help but think this is an ecu issue purposely not starting the car due to some sort of auto engine cut off or something tied into the fuel pump. That being said, I'm not aware of this even being a thing on the Yaris.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:25 PM   #17
Lightrfire

Compression test done after 5 revolutions all the cylinders are 110 across the board.... I also got desperate enough to pull the fuel rail and injectors to see if they were spraying properly and they were. Pulled the spark plugs and connected them to the coil and grounded on the valve cover. The plugs are sparking strong. So I have fuel, spark, compression. Air filter was new but I removed it anyway to see if it was obstructing air flow. I think I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and send it to a shop to diagnose which really sucks. I haven't taken any car I've owned to a shop for anything other than alignment and wheel balances. My pride is in shambles lol
Old 03-02-2016, 12:02 AM   #18
Bluevitz-rs
1NZ-6spd

Drives: '05 6-Spd Vitz RS
110 is really low. My old engine tested around 190 and after a few drops of oil in the cylinders 220-230.

It's possible your cylinder walls have washed down and your rings aren't sealing.

Put in a few drops of fresh oil in through the spark plug holes and retest your compression.
Bluevitz-rs is offline   Reply With Quote