Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #1
bronsin

Drives: 2009 Base Hatch 2 Dr Auto
Oil Filter Question

Raise your hands: the first time the oil was changed on your Yaris, was the oil filter a bear to get off? (on there too tight?)
bronsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
toad

Drives: street-legal go-kart
yeah, the first time i did an oil change on the wife's sedan(it's a yaris also) i couldn't get the filter off for the life of me. i tried using my hands, one of those socket-style cups(the smallest one advanced auto parts had still was slipping over our tiny filter), and one of the claw-types(it just bent the filter up pretty good) and nothing would work! finally, after an hour or two of trying i just drove the car to the local quick-change place and had them do the oil change with the oil i already purchased to do it myself. now, i've done all the changes on my yaris liftback and each time i make sure to put oil on the rubber gasket at the top of the filter and i only put it on snug - not tight! there's just not a lot of room to get leverage around the filter based on where it is on our engines!
toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
Yaris Hilton
Half a Bubble Off Plumb

Drives: 2009 Yaris Sedan
Smile

It was pretty tight, but a good pull with a band wrench popped it loose.
Yaris Hilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 10:55 PM   #4
Inspector14

Drives: 09 Yaris hatch, Meteor Metal
the first time i changed the oil, it was a major pain in the butt to get off of there. like others, i tried using my hands and even some 3M double sided tape to get more grip. no go. so i got one of those cup things for a socket wrench, and put it on there over the tape, and that did it.

This second change i could not get the filter off. tried the cup, tried the claw. there was a big dent in the filter, i think something hit it and jammed it or something. took it to jiffy lube and they had it off in like 5 seconds. now i have a K&N oil filter on there with the welded nut on the end. and lubro-moly 5w-30 in the engine. love changing the oil on this car.
Inspector14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 11:11 PM   #5
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Yeah, it was pretty hard to get off.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
I had no trouble. I used a little extra effort, but it wasn't a problem. I use synthetic rubber gloves, disposable kind. That might have provided a little extra grip. I use those gloves when I work on my car, keeps the hands clean.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 04:22 AM   #7
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
We need to change our oil filter?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 06:27 AM   #8
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
It was tighter than what I am used to, however, it was in the best location that I have ever experienced. Changed my mother-in-laws oil in a 2000 Sentra and had to remove the front tire to get to the filter.
Old 09-06-2009, 09:52 AM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Mine was rediculously tight. I had actually deformed the filter can by the time I was able to remove it.

The Yaris is a DIY dream for oil changes though. A 65mm 14 flute cap style wrench works well.

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 11:42 AM   #10
bronsin

When I get a stuck filter the 14 flute cap type wrench slips when you try to put enough torque on it. I line the cap with a piece of thin sandpaper. Maybe you need a hammer to bash it onto the filter. Then if you supply enough force the filter will come off. Looks like I will need to line the the services of my son to supply that force for me.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #11
UTVitz

Drives: Black Vitz Liftback
Yep, so tight I had to use channel lock plyers (the only thing I had big enough to go around the filter). And even then the filter deformed before it gave way. I've since noticed the filter is much tighter when the engine is still warm due to expansion, so I just do an oil change when I can leave the car set for a few hours and once it cools off the filter usually spins off by hand.
UTVitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #12
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddongbap View Post
We need to change our oil filter?
It should be changed at least, every other oil change.

Last edited by yaris-me; 09-07-2009 at 02:44 AM.
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #13
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
A filter should be changed every time you change the oil.

First off, they only cost a $3-$4. and they have limited life.

Also, they contain dirty oil that can only be removed by removing the filter.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:33 PM   #14
Yaris08

Drives: 2008 Yaris sedan
I'm not used to changing my own oil, but I have since I got my Yaris. Was a pain the first time though, it took me a while even w/ a clamp.
Yaris08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
bronsin

Well the oil change is done! The filter was on normal tight. I had to wedge a rag between the filter and the wrench though to get it off. I used a Casite oil filter. It was too small to fit my oil filter wrench I used on my ECHO and the wifes Camry. I will be going back to Purolator oil filters! (which DO fit) The oil filter was commendably easy to get at. Easier than the ECHO and worlds better than the Honda! Incidently they OVERFILLED the engine with oil at the factory. It was about 1/4 inch over the full line.
I noticed there are now some kind of torsion bars on the struts. What is their purpose? Ive noticed the Yaris seems very stiffly sprung compared to my ECHO.

Last edited by bronsin; 09-07-2009 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-07-2009, 01:06 PM   #16
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Mine was over the fill line from the factory also.
In addition, when I had my first oil change performed at my dealer, they "overfilled" it the exact same amount.

This is not a problem however as long as the oil is below the spinning crankshaft which it doesn't apear to be in this case as there is never any hint of foam in the oil.

BTW, Toyota revised the oil fill ammount/line on the dipstick for my celica GT, They now say to add 10mnm to every line on the dipstick to increse the oil level due to a lack of a baffel on the oil pan.

So, it apears that a little over fill will do no harm in most caes.

It does make one wonder though..... Why do they have specs like only adding .9 of the last quart and not rounding it off to a full quart? A .1 of a quart will not raise the level by any sigificant amount.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:27 PM   #17
bronsin

Of course maybe the oil ammount was right and its the dipstick that is wrong...