Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 08-20-2009, 08:48 PM   #1
bwong2

Drives: 2009 Yaris Liftback S
dented bumper!

help! i was parked in a grocery store parking lot during a massive storm when a stray shopping cart flew out and smashed into my bumper. i know a lot of people have had success with popping it back out with little to no damage by heating it up with a hairdryer or something but i'm seeking advice on what i should do. someone at my work place said that i might as well get a new bumper as heating it and popping it back will crack the paint. also, if i was to try it, how is the whole procedure done? do i just heat it and it pops back out? do i need to take the bumper off? do i heat it and push it out?

thanks in advance!
Brian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SSPX0518.jpg (122.0 KB, 176 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0519.jpg (149.1 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg SSPX0520.jpg (114.1 KB, 170 views)
bwong2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
This is a job for a pro. There's a whole industry grown up around repairing these bumpers - you couldn't possibly do as good a job yourself. If you just want to scab it up and take the dent out, it would probably be best to try to get behind it, as echo_hrs said.
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 10:32 PM   #3
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
yeah the bumper is plastic so it should pretty much pop back into place, not like a metal panel...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
ricepower

Drives: Yaris Y Sedan
Send a message via MSN to ricepower Send a message via Yahoo to ricepower
Thumbs up tip

My 5 cents opinion..

Don't just push from behind as there's possibility to deform especially if you leave the dent for a week. Heat the dented part with a heat gun and do the push from behind.

This trick is what I have seen on the denters and applicable to plastic bumbers.

IIT62

Last edited by ricepower; 06-14-2010 at 04:45 AM. Reason: required for toyodiy.com membership
ricepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 AM   #5
nick.dollimount
Yaris = <3

Drives: '08 Sedan - Flint Mica
This exact thing happened to mine, even on the same side. Your picture gave me chills lol As du2efs said, heat it with a heat gun (I used a blow dryer with an extension cord) and lay down with your hand up in behind. Don't user any hard tool because you'll dent the plastic. Just close your fist and use your fingers or knuckles to push it out. Wearing gloves would be advised as to not hurt your hand =) Good luck!
==============================
Debadged Rear; Blue Interior Styling; Toyota Sports Pedals; AM Exhaust Tip; OEM Spoiler; Upgraded Speakers; Sony Xplod BT 2600 Deck; Infinity Basslink SUB/AMP in Trunk; 16" Konig Rims; 6000k HID Bi-Xenons; 6000k HID Fogs; NST Short Shifter
==============================
nick.dollimount is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 10:23 AM   #6
90tsi

Drives: 09 yaris
theres a sedan running around town here with one just like that. hopefully your paint wont chip or let go when you pop it back out. that happened to a buddies car. He ended up having to paint it.
90tsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #7
Liltoaster

Drives: 05 Echo H/B
That is a easy fix, just don't rush it!

You want to take the cover off to gain access to the rear of the bumper grab a heat gun and warm up the back side of the bumper so that it is pliable and such. I usally heat up the paint side a little bit to so that they paint is more flexable to. Carefully message is back into place by pushing on the back side while keeping the heat on the cover.
Liltoaster is offline   Reply With Quote