Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 AM   #1
Alwin

Drives: Meteorite Metallic LiftBack
ABS DIY?

Does anyone know if you can buy and install the ABS system yourself if you bought a yaris without it? Here in the US, Option Package B is all I want, but it doesn't come with ABS.

-Alwin
Alwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 01:26 AM   #2
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
it's probably a lot more complicated than it sounds, it would be much better to learn to use your own ABS system (modulating the brakes)...

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM   #3
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
i think it will cost a lot to get the ABS pump and all of the pipes plus if you need some kind of reflash for your ecu.

too complicated in my opinion. i also wanted the ABS but didn't wanna spend the $2000 to get it plus all the other crap you were gonna get with the package.

now i'm just very carefull when driving.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 11:25 AM   #4
Black Yaris
der Zeck

Drives: '05 Audi A4 1.8t quattro
that is funny... I made sure mine did not have ABS, I want control over my braking... plus it is one more part to go bad down the road
Old 06-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #5
joey1320

Drives: Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Yaris View Post
that is funny... I made sure mine did not have ABS, I want control over my braking... plus it is one more part to go bad down the road
the only thing is that with the snow up here i'll like to have abs but i ended up not getting it and i drove this past winter with no problems.
joey1320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #6
BokChoi
Mada Mada Dane...

Drives: Toyota Yaris LB
i dont know if my car has abs or not how do i find out?
Old 06-12-2007, 02:17 PM   #7
forpinks

Drives: 03 Toyota Corolla S modded,
The Yaris is too light for the ABS to be useful.

Just do what the Initial D peeps do and disable the ABS and practice "brake pulsing", this technic is more reliable than ABS on dry pavement... ; )

good luck!

BUT YOU JUST GOTTA LOVE IT....
forpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 03:17 PM   #8
FlyingDevil

Drives: 07 Corolla
ya i think ABS is not very helfpul...especially in the winter with the snow...
FlyingDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:03 AM   #9
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
Resurrecting an old thread here - has anyone ever determined how much needs to be retrofitted to put ABS on a non-ABS LB? I've found the pump/control modules for affordable prices, but wondering how much else has to be added, or if the entire braking system is different? Was this a strictly-factory option, or added at the port-of-entry?
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
bearda

Drives: 2006 Mazda3 Sedan
Definitely a factory option. Usually there are a number of sensors that go along with the system for feedback you'd also have to get.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:33 PM   #11
PhilD424

Drives: Red Yaris
If someone needs ABS to stop correctly then they shouldn't be driving. People who don't know how to drive and just slam on their brakes thinking they are going to stop are the ones who need ABS. If you know how to drive and know how much brake can be applyed for whatever road condition you encounter, ABS is only going to make you have an accident. And for people who say its better in snow, ice etc thats BS. If your skidding in snow and there is nothing you can do about it snow will pile up in front of your tires slowing you down better then a car with ABS. In some conditions stopping distances are worse with ABS. Now with Ice which is almost impossible to stop on, your screwed both ways. You shouldn't be driving so fast and leave so little room that you can't stop in time in icey conditions. ABS can't defy the laws of physics. Just my 2 cents.
Old 09-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #12
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
I live in a small city that's on a hillside - the roads are all up and down. It doesn't snow too often, but it can get icy when it does.

Last winter, shortly after I got the car, there was snow. There was also black ice at the foot of the steep street I live on. The surface was perfectly slippery, but didn't look it. I was driving very slowly and carefully, but skidded at the stop sign anyway. If I hadn't had the ABS on my Yaris, I would have been creamed by an SUV. Under the circumstances, even the most self-righteous opponent of ABS would not have been able to stop with "superior" driving skill.

If the car cost extra for ABS, it paid for itself right then and there.

By the way, when the ABS is working, it makes horrible noises. This is normal. Don't freak out and take your foot off the brake!
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #13
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
So what is it about ABS that people dislike so much? My car came with it and to be honest I don't really care about it one way or the other. The thing is, I don't think it has ever engaged. Which is why I ask the question... if you have ABS but drive properly it won't engage, so why all the hate?
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 11:13 PM   #14
ozmdd
Reluctantly Crouched...

Drives: 2008 Yaris HB M/T
"If someone needs ABS to stop correctly then they shouldn't be driving. People who don't know how to drive and just slam on their brakes thinking they are going to stop are the ones who need ABS. If you know how to drive and know how much brake can be applyed for whatever road condition you encounter, ABS is only going to make you have an accident. And for people who say its better in snow, ice etc thats BS. If your skidding in snow and there is nothing you can do about it snow will pile up in front of your tires slowing you down better then a car with ABS. In some conditions stopping distances are worse with ABS. Now with Ice which is almost impossible to stop on, your screwed both ways. You shouldn't be driving so fast and leave so little room that you can't stop in time in icey conditions. ABS can't defy the laws of physics. Just my 2 cents."

Thanks for the 2cents, but I agree with Altitude that there are an awful lot of vehement anti-abs folks who seem overzealous to knock it. Fine with me if you don't want it, but the argument lacks merit, empirically. Repeated testing validates the effectiveness of ABS brakes in reducing stopping distances and maintaining control of the vehicle. Opinions are fine, but they lose to facts.
It is true that you can modulate effectively in many situations, but you will never be as fast as the computer.
Another point about ABS is that most track and autox enthusiasts swear by it.
More love, less hate! :)
ozmdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #15
Sir A.Y. Atoyot

Drives: '08 5-door
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altitude View Post
So what is it about ABS that people dislike so much? My car came with it and to be honest I don't really care about it one way or the other. The thing is, I don't think it has ever engaged. Which is why I ask the question... if you have ABS but drive properly it won't engage, so why all the hate?
The essential point is that ABS only works in emergencies, when the chips are really well and truly down. In normal driving, it might as well not be installed. Of course, you could say the same about any of the safety equipment in the Yaris - air bags, seat belt retractors, and so on. The car might go (over a period of years or even decades) from the dealer's lot to the junk yard without ever needing any of them. Personally, I'd rather have them in place for the times when they're needed.

I hope yours will never engage (and mine will never engage again.)
Sir A.Y. Atoyot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 12:58 AM   #16
Altitude

Drives: '08 LB MT Bayou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir A.Y. Atoyot View Post
The essential point is that ABS only works in emergencies, when the chips are really well and truly down. In normal driving, it might as well not be installed. Of course, you could say the same about any of the safety equipment in the Yaris - air bags, seat belt retractors, and so on. The car might go (over a period of years or even decades) from the dealer's lot to the junk yard without ever needing any of them. Personally, I'd rather have them in place for the times when they're needed.

I hope yours will never engage (and mine will never engage again.)
Yes, I understand when it is supposed to engage, which further begs the question why people hate it so much. Are there that many people who routinely find themselves in such an emergency?

Come to think of it, I just might go about and test it just to know what to expect if I ever do find it kicking in.
Altitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 03:00 AM   #17
RedRide

Drives: '09 Yaris carmine red 2d HB
Since the '09s now come standard with ABS, there is no longer a choice.

I am a bit old school myself and prefer to do my own braking.
However, I'm also aware that in some near panic situations we all have tendancy to step a bit to hard on the brake pedel and lock them up.

So ABS may come in handy at those times.

Also, keep in mind that ABS has come a long way since the early days and there is no pulsating in the pedel under normal use as was once the case.

Acutually, I'm looking forward to checking out the ABS in action after the first snow storm this winter.
Hey, I may actually like it.
RedRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 06:11 AM   #18
yarisitis

Drives: 2008 Yaris LB
I bought my car used, how am I able to tell if my car has ABS?
yarisitis is offline   Reply With Quote