Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-04-2009, 07:55 PM   #91
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagoya_TRD. View Post
It's true, some OEM manufacturers IN THE PHILIPINES used Rota as oem wheels. Simple reason for this: OEM products are designed to cut costs. They are not supposed to be nice and were never designed to be pushed (all the manufacturers who used rota as oem wheels used them on economy cars). These Rota wheels were never designed to be used on hard sports cars. Rota was a local company that was dirt cheap that would suffice for these OEM applications and maximize the profit for the big car manufacturers.

That is the main reason why most oem "alloy wheels" are gravity or low pressure cast.

Did Nissan ever use Rota for their OEM skyline GT-R wheels? No, they used BBS.

Does Mitsubishi use Rota for their OEM EVOLUTION wheels? No, They use BBS and Enkei.

Does Nissan use Rota for their Nismo 350Z, Nismo 370Z, 370Z, and R35 GT-R wheels? No, they use Rays engineering.
You're 100% right. And when I'm shelling out that kind of money for a car, I would expect it to have BBS, Volks, Enkei, and such kinds of wheels. But you just said it in bold above. Like I said, a low-pressure, gravity-cast aluminum wheel is going to be fine for most people, and that includes most Yaris owners. Most people putting custom wheels on their cars are driving them to work, to the grocery store, and such. I'd bet the number of wheels that get pushed to limits where a forged wheel would actually make a difference are less than 1%, and probably even less so on a Yaris.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:57 PM   #92
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.

I like those Koenig Wheels.

Those i can do without.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 07:59 PM   #93
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:

I like those Koenig Wheels.
please dont confuse koenig with konig
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #94
Tamago

koenig=serious fabrication

konig = rebadged rotas

I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #95
Thirty-Nine

Or this Konig:

Old 05-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #96
Nagoya_TRD.

Drives: None.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thirty-Nine View Post
You're 100% right. And when I'm shelling out that kind of money for a car, I would expect it to have BBS, Volks, Enkei, and such kinds of wheels. But you just said it in bold above. Like I said, a low-pressure, gravity-cast aluminum wheel is going to be fine for most people, and that includes most Yaris owners. Most people putting custom wheels on their cars are driving them to work, to the grocery store, and such. I'd bet the number of wheels that get pushed to limits where a forged wheel would actually make a difference are less than 1%, and probably even less so on a Yaris.
Even then, not all wheels are round. Each manufacturer has a different casting procedures, and strengths for the materials that they use. Using Rotas to putt around town is different from using Rotas for "driving". A cast racing dynamics or enkei wheel is not going to have the same strength as a Konig/XXR/Rota wheel.

When i shell out cash to "upgrade" my wheels, i want an UPGRADE, not something that is the same as the OEM wheels, just with a different LOOK. Just my .02

But, i think this thread pretty much explains why most serious performance teams/drivers/owners don't really care much rotas for performance.
Nagoya_TRD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #97
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamago View Post
konig = rebadged rotas
Does Konig really resell Rota products or are they simply similar? I don't know if Konig actually makes any wheels, though. They're all coming out of a few factories in Asia. Rota produces in The Philippines; a lot of Konig products come out of Taiwan (at least mine did).
Old 05-04-2009, 08:08 PM   #98
Tamago

Quote:
Does Konig really resell Rota products or are they simply similar? I don't know if Konig actually makes any wheels, though. They're all coming out of a few factories in Asia. Rota produces in The Philippines; a lot of Konig products come out of Taiwan (at least mine did).
i have a set of konig wheels circa 1998 that are stamped ROTA on the rear face
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #99
Tamago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaya1221 View Post
tamago koenig =

not sure what that means but koenig = serious fabrication geniuses.
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #100
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
Even then, not all wheels are round. Each manufacturer has a different casting procedures, and strengths for the materials that they use. Using Rotas to putt around town is different from using Rotas for "driving". A cast racing dynamics or enkei wheel is not going to have the same strength as a Konig/XXR/Rota wheel.

When i shell out cash to "upgrade" my wheels, i want an UPGRADE, not something that is the same as the OEM wheels, just with a different LOOK. Just my .02

But, i think this thread pretty much explains why most serious performance teams/drivers/owners don't really care much rotas for performance.
And I concur. When I upgraded from my steel wheels to my 15" Maxxims (Konigs) they were alloys instead of steel, and weighed significantly less than my steel wheels.

And you're right: Rota and other inexpensive wheels are fine for putt-putting around town, which is what most wheels see.

If I were building a serious race car, I'd invest in a set of higher quality wheels; no doubt about it. Until then, my orange Maxxims work just fine.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:10 PM   #101
Thirty-Nine

Quote:
I'd love to see more from them. Do you have a Web site address?
Old 05-04-2009, 08:11 PM   #102
Tamago

Quote:
I'd love to see more from them. Do you have a Web site address?
http://www.koenig-specials.com/homep...20englisch.htm
you nailed it sir.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #103
Malaya1221
super duper M*******TOR

Drives: 2007 jahPANIS egg(Sarao Phil)
Quote:
nevermind....was looking at some other things...r they the same company as koenig competition?
Malaya1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:34 PM   #104
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
I hate to jump back so many pages but...

Quote:
Rotas suck ass b/c they blatantly steal their designs from reputable manufactures to cater towards the individuals who want the "look" of expensive wheels but don't want the spend it (for whatever reason, viable or not).
I have to disagree. Rotas dont suck because they borrow a "look" from another company. Thats like saying you look like shit in a red t-shirt because I started wearing red t-shirts first.

If I were in the hat making business and my competition Started selling a very popular "Top hat" style, why the hell wouldn't I want to sell top hats too, especially if I could do it for cheaper. Im sure there are alot of "poor" people who would love to be able to afford the latest stlye.

If there is anything to be said about rota versus another company it should be about the construction quality VS. the price tag

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:50 PM   #105
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by GnomeBody View Post
I hate to jump back so many pages but...

I have to disagree. Rotas dont suck because they borrow a "look" from another company. Thats like saying you look like shit in a red t-shirt because I started wearing red t-shirts first.

If I were in the hat making business and my competition Started selling a very popular "Top hat" style, why the hell wouldn't I want to sell top hats too, especially if I could do it for cheaper. Im sure there are alot of "poor" people who would love to be able to afford the latest stlye.

If there is anything to be said about rota versus another company it should be about the construction quality VS. the price tag
AHAHA

lets take a very detailed product and compare it to a single color T-shirt.

ultimately Rota still sucks b/c they can't come up with their own "VISUAL" designs.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:54 PM   #106
schleppy
I love momentum.

Drives: 2009 Yaris LB, Red
Send a message via AIM to schleppy
I don't know why everyone craps on Rota all the time. Being a former Subaru guy, I'm used to hearing more good than bad about Rota. Rotas were immensely popular with the Suby guys. Between myself and my friends we've run at least 10+ different sets of Rotas without a single issue. I personally ran three different sets.

Are there stronger/lighter/better wheels out there? Sure. Are Rotas absolute crap? In my experience, not at all. For the price they are great.

Just my 2c
schleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 02:56 PM   #107
Russelt3hPirate
l33t3st Asshole

Drives: MY07 Yaris Liftback
Quote:
Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
I don't know why everyone craps on Rota all the time. Being a former Subaru guy, I'm used to hearing more good than bad about Rota. Rotas were immensely popular with the Suby guys. Between myself and my friends we've run at least 10+ different sets of Rotas without a single issue. I personally ran three different sets.

Are there stronger/lighter/better wheels out there? Sure. Are Rotas absolute crap? In my experience, not at all. For the price they are great.

Just my 2c
10+ isn't a very good global sample set, but honestly I'm glad nothing happened.

when a wheel "fails" it's supposed to stay in one piece. it hurts to see the photos of the wheels where the hoop separates.....
Old 05-05-2009, 04:55 PM   #108
GnomeBody
AD&D Dork

Drives: 07Liftback/07sedanS
Quote:
lets take a very detailed product and compare it to a single color T-shirt.
What? you dont like red?

well anyway, the point was that no one has exclusive rights to a style.

Frankly, I think Rota is business smart for recreating 'Popular' designs and selling them at reasonable prices( assuming there not breaking patents or copyrights) Rather than wasting money on R&D for a custom line that might not sell as well.

Mods: K&N filter, Megan Coilovers, Ultra Racing 19mm rear sway bar, Sun tachometer, Window Tint.
GnomeBody is offline   Reply With Quote