Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 11-27-2009, 02:33 PM   #91
RacerFreakXXX
JDM Fred

Drives: 06 Mazda Miata
Send a message via AIM to RacerFreakXXX
yay for oversteer!!!!! at least it's not understeer
RacerFreakXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 05:23 PM   #92
fmicle

Drives: 2007 Yaris LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
Are they? Yeah i dont think its possible really to install them upside down since they will function the same way still. But that could explain why i get some creaking noise occasionally while others do not with the same springs.
Well, I'm not an expert, but yours are upside down from the ones in this DIY (pictures 6 and 7 are relevant): http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096

So, either both ways are fine, or one of you has them upside down

The reason I brought it up is because I have similar looking springs, where the lower coils are closer together than the higher ones and I installed mine according to the DIY above. Also, the ends are not exactly the same, since one end gets a rubber cap and the other end sits in a groove on a plate on the axle. One end brings the coil almost to a circle, while the other kind of ends open. So at least from a geometry perspective, it's not the same. But it might be just fine... I don't know... that's what I'm trying to figure out
Old 11-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #93
YarisSedan

Drives: 08 Yaris Sedan
Send a message via AIM to YarisSedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fmicle View Post
Well, I'm not an expert, but yours are upside down from the ones in this DIY (pictures 6 and 7 are relevant): http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1096

So, either both ways are fine, or one of you has them upside down

The reason I brought it up is because I have similar looking springs, where the lower coils are closer together than the higher ones and I installed mine according to the DIY above. Also, the ends are not exactly the same, since one end gets a rubber cap and the other end sits in a groove on a plate on the axle. One end brings the coil almost to a circle, while the other kind of ends open. So at least from a geometry perspective, it's not the same. But it might be just fine... I don't know... that's what I'm trying to figure out
I installed mine based on the instruction manual that came in the box from toyota. But now you got me wondering if i installed them right or not lol.

going by this picture for tannabe it looks like the tightly coiled are supose to be on top since thats how the label is printed on the coil.
YarisSedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:06 PM   #94
AL441

Drives: 2009 Yaris Polar White- HB
is good or bad to do this ? what is the positive and negative advantage of this mod?
AL441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #95
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL441 View Post
is good or bad to do this ? what is the positive and negative advantage of this mod?
It is good, IF you're lowered. As explained above, the rear axle has some built-in camber and toe which will be off if you lower your car. I got mine to an alignment shop last night and the rear axle was right within factory specs - no adjustment needed. I'm pretty sure the alignment would have been off if I hand't done it after changing the springs.

The only disadvantage someone mentioned about this mod is that you might get some rubbing because if the modified geometry. Look above on this thread for a picture. I don't have that problem on my hatchback with a mild drop (1.4") But if you don't do it, you would either have to adjust the alignment with some spacers or you will get uneven tire wear.
Old 11-28-2009, 06:36 PM   #96
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by YarisSedan View Post
But now you got me wondering if i installed them right or not lol.
I'm glad I could help
Old 11-28-2009, 06:52 PM   #97
AL441

Drives: 2009 Yaris Polar White- HB
what is the advantages of this mods? what is the positive advantages?
AL441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 06:58 PM   #98
fmicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL441 View Post
what is the advantages of this mods? what is the positive advantages?
Scroll up 3 posts!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:26 AM   #99
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Anybody had a chance to see what sort of changes the pivot change makes, compared to not changing the pivot?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:55 AM   #100
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
^ it's a free mod, just the kind you like. TRY IT. (You'll like it)
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:04 AM   #101
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Yeah! I shifted up the pivot point of my rear arm. The very first impression given me is, WoW!! My ride feel so much more balance especially on the rear suspension during hard cornering.

In the past after i drop my ride with Tanabe NF springs, i do gain the look of it but somehow i lose a little on the "corner handling" & "cornering balance" if i corner really hard. The reason is due to the "super soft" spring rate of the NF spring gave & i bear in mind that NF springs is strictly meant for "Comfort" usage. I am already used to it and live with it of the "soft" & "floating" cornering of the NF springs!!

Till yesterday i change the rear of my suspension pivot point, while i'm testing it, i smile to myself!!!!!! Feeling "unbalance" & "floating" in the hard cornering will be a thing of the PAST!!!

Thank you, Yaris World & all mates to share in this forum!!

As i'm not sure how the rear camber or toe angle change after shifting to the upper pivot point. Below are the points i figure it out after the mod, i really can see the rear wheel being "extend" to the rear end. Meaning having a longer wheel-base after the change. Below are the points i thought which really make sense to have the longer wheel-base after the change.

1. Once our ride is lowered, our rear arm will move/angle "upward" where this will "shorten" our wheel-base a little depending on how much u lowered.
More lowered = Shorter wheel base

2. In order to enjoy back the near stock/longer wheel base, where this addtional hole is there for. Upon shifting the pivot point higher, the arm will now have the most "level" & "parallel" to the ground, for this we'll gain back the stock/longer wheel base.

Please do not frame me if the above pointers are wrong or does not make sense to any of you. Pls correct me if i'm wrong. As i'm still learning and want to share with you guys with my logic.

Last edited by evo165; 11-29-2009 at 09:16 AM.
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:17 AM   #102
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
For those who have done the mod, even though it's much more stable feeling now while turning and cornering, would you agree that it seems the rear end ride comfort is a bit more uncomfortable/harder feeling?
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #103
evo165

Drives: peArL yAvItZ!!
Send a message via MSN to evo165
Quote:
Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
For those who have done the mod, even though it's much more stable feeling now while turning and cornering, would you agree that it seems the rear end ride comfort is a bit more uncomfortable/harder feeling?
Yes sir, i do agree with you on this point!! Before the change, in fact my ride are way "too" comfortable to do any street or hard cornering for my liking. After this mod, my ride comfort doesn't affect much to it. In fact, my gf mentioned it feel more comfortable because she felt her body roll lesser than before. (Same gf, same corner speed, same location, same dry weather)

It is all depending on what ur liking & habit to drive your Yaris.

More comfortable ride = Less stable ride OR
Less comfortable ride = More stable ride
evo165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:39 PM   #104
YarisSedan

Quote:
I think it puts more force on the springs i could be wrong. When i put my springs back in place it took a heck of a lot more effort than before. I think they are being compressed slightly more somehow thus allowing a slighter higher spring rate?
Old 11-29-2009, 01:45 PM   #105
detroiter

Drives: 2008 Polar White LB Auto
^^

That's exactly what I was thinking. It basically preloads the spring at a higher rate, giving it the harsher feel and better reaction.

Why did you have a hard time putting the springs back in, just curious? Mine never fell out or needed to be moved/adjusted
detroiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 01:59 PM   #106
YarisSedan

Quote:
^^

That's exactly what I was thinking. It basically preloads the spring at a higher rate, giving it the harsher feel and better reaction.

Why did you have a hard time putting the springs back in, just curious? Mine never fell out or needed to be moved/adjusted
Well i did mine on a lift and was fighting to put the bushing back in. I needed to remove the shock to give me more play when i did that the spring fell out and one thing led to another lol. Finally got it in and when i went to put the spring back it was much more difficult and had to use a tranny jack under the beam where the shock bolts up to get everyhing back together. What i should have done is used 2 tranny jacks one on each side before i unbolted everythign to support it all. Same as if soemone was doing it on the ground using 2 additional floor jacks. Would have probally went much more smooth.

But i think it does preload the spring more. I can feel more harshness at higher speeds especially. But man its so worth it. Makes me really wana get some new shocks now. Should have taken advantage of the 10 percent off deal.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:25 PM   #107
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
so i did this yesterday. i think the car sits SLIGHTLY lower but that may be an illusion.

as for the ride, the car is more comfortable! that is really the thing i noticed the most! I didnt notice a huge change in handling, but i also just installed an LSD which i only drove on for one day, which made a huge change in handling. over bumps on the interstate, the car is not nearly as jolting, it was quite pleasant driving it home! which is very unusual, after about an hour in the car, the body starts to feel quite fatigued.

as i said already, i didnt notice a huge handling difference, but that is probably due to getting to used to the LSD (which is very different than the car was before.)

another thing, i think an alignment using the SPC shims is a good idea after this mod. i think there is enough slack there to create some subtle alignment changes. once the bolts are torqued down, they beam is in place. then i would correct it with the shims.

great find!
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 02:29 PM   #108
fmicle

I don't see how this can preload the springs at a higher rate, since it's the weight of the car that's loading the springs, which is the same. The only thing that changes is the angle of the axle plate versus top plate, which hold the springs in place. With the axle down those plates are almost parallel, with the axle up the plates are at a certain angle.