Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-25-2011, 02:05 PM   #19
WeeYari

Drives: 06 Polar White 5dr, 13 Soul 4u
Italian Tune-up

Get out into the country and go WOT for a bit.

I don't know what your driving habits are, but addressable carbon buildup on an '09 dosen't seem right. I've never addressed it, and my tb is sparkling after 5 yrs/150,000km.
Old 10-25-2011, 10:54 PM   #20
johnny_vitz

Drives: 2005 Toyota Echo
Quote:
Originally Posted by zfarsh View Post
so guys, living in Canada and having driven 90,000 km, should i (or when should i) do the Fuel Injector Flush and the Throttle Body, to remove the carbon buildup and whatever else benifit it may give, at 175 $ + 50 $ (no, i am not rich, far from it), or should i try the Chevron Techron method? Will this remove the carbon build-up...is it even bad to have the carbon build-up?
You COULD, but unless there is an issue with the way the car runs or excessive carbon build up, there is no reason you HAVE to. You will always get different answers on here. I work in a private shop in Burlington, ON. I would only every recommend either of those services if there is an issue to fix (I get paid hourly, not by how many services I sell). At a dealership, most tech's are paid flat rate, which means they get paid per job, which means the more jobs they "sell" the more money they are paid.

You can clean the throttle body (If it is dirty) without doing an injector flush, and add a "fuel system cleaner" to your next tank of gas or two. That will cost you $75 and do a good job cleaning up any dirt that is in your injectors. That is what I would do.

Also, a brake flush is a good idea, but if it's only a 2009, it really doesn't need to be done yet. I would wait another year or two on that one
Old 10-26-2011, 12:17 PM   #21
red 5 door

Drives: red 5 door aotomatic
Cool throttle body service,

I use seafoam in the tank of our fleet trks,for 100,000 mile intake and thbdy clean,i use the spray type seafoam and wear saftey glasses,remove the airbox and ductwork and engine off,hold open throttle and spray inside and all arround in the throttlebody,let soak,if real bad use a old toothbrush and scrub,put all back together,might have to apply throttle to start and rev up a cupple times to clean out.should run much better,seafoam has 3 type,spray,liquid,transtune,all about $6-7 at napa and most auto parts store,can also be used as a fuel stabilizer for storage,hope this helps ya.
red 5 door is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:12 AM   #22
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Quote:
I have a Yaris 2009, automatic transmission, and i am at 90,000 km on it. Went for check-up (maintenance every 16k and it cost 120$ and includes oil change), and they tell me I need the following:

1) Brake Fluid Flush = 100 $ (ok I do have ABS, maybe i do need this???)

2 a) Fuel Injector Efi Flush = 175 $
2 b) Throttle Body Service = 50 $ (no idea what this means)

3) Air Filter change = 60$ (did it myself for 20 $)

There is carbon buildup, and toyota service is telling me i need to the the Fuel Injector Flush and the Throttle Body Service, all of which i have no idea what it is, and i dont see it in the service manual as a requirement. I have always been using cheap gas (87oct) and never tried any additatives, and always getting oil change by Toyota (ie no idea what kind of oil i am getting).

Pls guide me on what i should do. I am not mechanically inclined, but want to start learning being more independant.
Brake fluid flush is a good idea as indicated by other members.

Unless you are chasing a problem like rough running, rough idle or heavy fuel consumption, I would not spend money on fuel injection flush and throttle body cleaning. You are not causing any harm and can have it done if any problems will develop in the future. Using Chevron gas with Techron if available in your part of the world is all you need. Yes the throttle body does get dirty and can be cleaned without fuel injection flush. (If you are told differently I would look for someone else to service your car).

One service I would consider doing is Mass Airflow Sensor cleaning described here http://www.yarisclubuk.com/index.php...nsor-cleaning/ . Again not necessary if there is no problems.

Dropping the pan on the transmission and changing filter and topping the oil is a good idea. All the material from polished clutch plates and metal from wear in planetary gears and other moving parts, lessens the oil flow through the filter. I would do this only once, likely at your mileage and then you should be good for life of the car. I would also want to be present when the pan is dropped and take a photo of the debris in the pan as the oil is slowly poured out from the pan. Many times you may find a little pieces of metal, which are flushed out from valve body and are left in there from manufacturing. Then some crooked guy may tell you that your transmission is worn and try to sell you a rebuild job. If this happens, tell him/her to proceed with the job and post the photo.

Good luck.
Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:08 PM   #23
zfarsh

Drives: Yaris Sedan 2009 Automatic
Thanks for all your comments, i do appreciate it. I will go to look for Chevron Techron or BG44K to see if i can find it. I find that it is consuming more fuel than usual, i would say a 15% to 30 % drop i think.
zfarsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #24
Yury

Drives: 2008 5 Door Liftback Auto
^ in that case throttle body and MAF cleaning for sure. In my experience even a bit of buildup in the tb hurts mileage noticeably.
You can clean MAF yourself, very easy. Throttle body is easy too, but not as easy.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:55 PM   #25
Ratz

Drives: 2011 Yaris 4 Dr. Sedan
Quote:
Thanks for all your comments, i do appreciate it. I will go to look for Chevron Techron or BG44K to see if i can find it. I find that it is consuming more fuel than usual, i would say a 15% to 30 % drop i think.
Forgot to add. Toyota uses ATF WS in my 2011 automatic transmission, which I believe is a synthetic oil (quite dear). Make sure you find what oil is used in your application. As you will not be able to get all the oil out it may be a good idea to use what is the same or compatible with what you got.

One more thing, you are not in the hurry, ask about, take your time, do a research on the internet, do not take anybody’s word for anything. There is lot of honest good people around, but even they make UN-intentional mistakes. Like president Nixon said “Trust but verify". But that is another story.

Ratz is offline   Reply With Quote