Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > Photo-Video-Media Gallery
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-16-2017, 11:53 PM   #19
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Drives: '09 3-door 5-speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaotic Lazagna View Post
Nah, those are the Vitz RS taillights (mines are replicas).

http://cdn.dealereprocess.com/cdn/br...2008-yaris.pdf

The first pic has the optional taillights I was referring to.
Hmm... I really like your Vitz ones, but I'm not sold on those.

Good idea about the air ducts. I'll do that. I went a step further on my Metro...

scratchpaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #20
Kaotic Lazagna

Drives: '14 GT86, '08 Vitz
Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy View Post
Hmm... I really like your Vitz ones, but I'm not sold on those.

Good idea about the air ducts. I'll do that. I went a step further on my Metro...

You can probably find rep RS taillights on eBay or Amazon. Just be aware that there are no reflectors in them.

Wow, you removed the entire dash!? That's dedication.

I just stuck the Blitz hybrid cabin filter into the Yaris from the FR-S after I washed it and sun charged it. Still about 3/4" to 1" of gap total on the sides, but I figured it's better than not having a filter (and really don't feel like spending another $53 to get the filter specifically for the Yaris.
Kaotic Lazagna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:53 AM   #21
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

That was actually a replacement dash. For three model years, GM used a really crappy plastic for the dashboard which crumbled to dust in the sun. It looked disgusting, so I pulled a junkyard dash from after they went to a better plastic. Yes, it was a lot of work. But the ducts got a good cleaning-out, too. And they really needed it, because this was from before cars got cabin air filters.

I had to look up that Blitz hybrid filter you mentioned. Looks pretty cool! I think I'll stick to a regular activated-carbon filter on this one, though. I just knocked the leaves out of the old one for now.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:02 AM   #22
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
That was actually a replacement dash. For three model years, GM used a really crappy plastic for the dashboard which crumbled to dust in the sun. It looked disgusting, so I pulled a junkyard dash from after they went to a better plastic. Yes, it was a lot of work. But the ducts got a good cleaning-out, too. And they really needed it, because this was from before cars got cabin air filters.

I had to look up that Blitz hybrid filter you mentioned. Looks pretty cool! I think I'll stick to a regular activated-carbon filter on this one, though. I just knocked the leaves out of the old one for now.

Taking apart a dash looks more labor intensive than installing suspension. haha.

Yeah, the Blitz hybrid cabin filter does pretty much was an activated carbon filter does, but it's reusable (weird having to leave it in sunlight for 6 hours tho).
Old 03-17-2017, 10:40 AM   #23
ern-diz

Drives: 2007 Liftback
Thanks for all the great pedal info, Scratch and NYC.

On Wheelwell
ern-diz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:39 AM   #24
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Sounds like Mom has dibs on the car now. Dad will have to settle for her Matrix instead. What can you do? She's the boss.
Old 03-18-2017, 01:21 AM   #25
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Sounds like Mom has dibs on the car now. Dad will have to settle for her Matrix instead. What can you do? She's the boss.
That sucks. haha.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:56 AM   #26
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

The Matrix is still pretty nice. They bought it new in 2006, and it's always been kept in the garage. It has almost all the available features except alloy wheels.

I'm actually the only person in the family that's ever owned anything with a trunk. They love hatches.

Oh hey, I have a picture of my dad's old van. My new van.

It looks like a regular Venture, but it just has one bucket seat in the back, and the floor is rubber. It originally belonged to the government in Georgia. It can hold an unbelievable amount of stuff. They use it to bring the kayak to the river. It fits inside. How many other cars can you fit a small boat inside of?
Old 03-18-2017, 11:36 PM   #27
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

It was 95° today, but I got the exterior of the car detailed this morning. The replacement key shell also came in the mail.

The original key is in rough shape. Beat up, and all the buttons are missing. They still work if you stick your finger down in there, but I worry about mixing up the unlock and PANIC! buttons.

I looked into it, and saw that the electronics were in their own little case inside the shell, and you could get a new blank shell for $5 on eBay. So that's what I did.

I took it to Ace to get it cut, and they said no way. They won't risk their super carbide key-cutting bit on an unknown blank. So I took it to Home Depot, who didn't mind at all. They had an automated Hillman machine. The Hillman facility where it was built is just one turn past the Home Depot, on the same road. They also build those self-service dog tag engraving kiosks there. I actually had a job interview there last week, but haven't heard back. It was cool to see the key machine in action, since there's a (slim) possibility I'll be working on them in the future.

It worked great, and Home depot didn't even charge me, since I didn't use one of their blanks. That's a cheap new key!

I stopped at my usual warehouse complex on my way home to get pictures. It makes a good backdrop, I think. All bright, clean concrete.

Old 03-20-2017, 12:27 PM   #28
ern-diz

Super sweet pics.

On Wheelwell
Old 03-20-2017, 07:14 PM   #29
justanotherdrunk

Drives: 2016 SE
justanotherdrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM   #30
Kaotic Lazagna

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherdrunk View Post

That second one with the lens flare can be used for a calendar!
Old 03-22-2017, 08:53 PM   #31
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Thanks, everyone! I like playing with backlight and lens flare. The Arizona sun is perfect for it. The golden hour here is always magical.

I got the engine bay cleaned up last weekend, too.

The dealer got the car on Monday, who did four recall repairs. They also recommended a tune up and a new serpentine belt, both things I was already planning to do myself this week.

I tackled the cruise control today. It's a 2007, so I had to add the wiring from the steering column to the ECM, which could also use some cleaning.

I couldn't have done it without CTScott's guide. It's so well-written, with pictures and everything. I was never confused. If you read this, Scott, thanks so much!

While I was in there, I got a good look at the new clockspring the dealer installed on Monday. The two black wires on the bottom row of the white plug on the left are the ones I added.

Now it has a stock cruise control system, just like my '09.

Old 03-23-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
ern-diz

You are setting moms up proper like!

On Wheelwell
Old 03-23-2017, 06:05 PM   #33
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Well, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for her and Dad. I gotta pay them back any way I can.

Today, I replaced the PCV valve, serpentine belt, and what I'm pretty sure were the original spark plugs (click for full size, it's really interesting).

I replaced them with a new set of Denso Iridium TT's.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #34
scratchpaddy
Hubcap Enthusiast

Today, I dropped the pan on the transmission. The magnets didn't look too bad. I've never done this before, but Google showed me lots of pictures of pan magnets looking like sea urchins, so I guess this is pretty good.

I thought the pan had lots of bolts, until I saw the inside of the transmission.

New filter.

I replaced the 3 quarts that come out when you pull the plug with new Toyota WS ATF, which I think they ought to shorten to "World Transmission Fluid." For brevity, you know.
Old 03-27-2017, 03:03 AM   #35
zimmer

Drives: 2011 Yaris Sedan
Sweet rides! That should twice the fun.
zimmer is offline   Reply With Quote