Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 11-18-2008, 02:44 AM   #1
richardholdener

Drives: 2008 Yaris hatch
IMPORTANT-Intake Manifold Update

Those of you who are on the list for the new intake have a decision to make. Here are the choices-you can have the intake with the gains as described or have an adjustable intake that will allow you to have both the high-rpm and mid-range versions. If you choose to have the single non-adjustable version, you can have the intake with the throttle body in essentially the stock location and have it likely hook up to almost all existing CAIs and the stock filter assembly. If you want it to be adjustable (see graphs), the intake will have to be repositioned with the plenum on top of the valve cover (like the Nissan Versa one we did previously). This means a new CAI or adapter section will be necessary to work with the intake but it also means the intake can be adjusted to provide impressive low and mid-range power gains or plenty of power past 5000 rpm for those trips to the track! Let me know what the people on the list think so we can get going-this has caused a delay already but it would be cool to have the only such intake on the market.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Adj Intake.jpg (108.3 KB, 168 views)
richardholdener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:49 AM   #2
pinoypizzaboy

Drives: 08 toyota yaris LB
ill just take the regular intake. i dont want my trd cai and new micro image engine cover to go to waste
pinoypizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

Drives: 15 STI
Send a message via AIM to mikenacarato
is there a way to have a pipe made to run from the new tb location to the old location to use the existing intakes and such?
mikenacarato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:53 AM   #4
ChinoCharles
Banned

Drives: LB
Woah, woah, woah! Crazy!

For those of you that don't know, here is the Versa manifold.

versaengine1.jpg

Richard, if I'm getting this (which I may not be) there will be an adapter to lengthen the runners and reposition the plenum for mid-range power? We will be able to revert to the top-end version without the adapter and have the whole system fit stock CAI's?
ChinoCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:56 AM   #5
richardholdener

Not really. We don't think the new position would be able to connect to an AEM, but it would likely be able to run to the stock filter box since it has a flexible inlet that is easily repositioned. The AEM CAI is hard mounted and oriented such that it aims down toward the stock throttle body position, I don't think we can get there-but it would be possible to cut AEM tube and make it work. We jjust need to know what poeple want-majority will rule in this instance because intakes will only be made 1 way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenacarato View Post
is there a way to have a pipe made to run from the new tb location to the old location to use the existing intakes and such?
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

well i guess my vote is for the stock positioned one... i would love more power but i would rather it be able to retain as much factory positioning as possible
Old 11-18-2008, 02:57 AM   #7
richardholdener

Nope-adjustment will be internal inside the plenum so it doesn't have to be repositioned(necessitating a different CAI for each position).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Woah, woah, woah! Crazy!

For those of you that don't know, here is the Versa manifold.

Attachment 12475

Richard, if I'm getting this (which I may not be) there will be an adapter to lengthen the runners and reposition the plenum for mid-range power? We will be able to revert to the top-end version without the adapter and have the whole system fit stock CAI's?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:01 AM   #8
ChinoCharles
Banned

Are you going to offer an intake system to go with this new manifold?

Also, will there be some halfway setting where you can split the middle of those dyno graphs? Or is it one or the other?

Sorry for all the questions... I just gotta know!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:05 AM   #9
richardholdener

No need to split-the ideal configuration is still the so-called high-rpm version. It is better than the stock intake everywhere. The mid-range version just gives people the opportunity to have more torque at the lower revs for daily driving use and ther ability to swap out to have fun atthe track or just to have the choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinoCharles View Post
Are you going to offer an intake system to go with this new manifold?

Also, will there be some halfway setting where you can split the middle of those dyno graphs? Or is it one or the other?

Sorry for all the questions... I just gotta know!
Old 11-18-2008, 03:08 AM   #10
mikenacarato
SIPNDEW

wait..not im just confused. i thought the adjustable one sat on top of the valve cover and non adjustable was in stock location?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:10 AM   #11
pinoypizzaboy

hmm cut up my aem/trd cai.. decisions decisions
Old 11-18-2008, 03:13 AM   #12
ChinoCharles
Banned

Oh my lord... can we get these bad boys drilled for nitrous injection?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:17 AM   #13
pinoypizzaboy

so with this manifold we have to relocate the battery huh?
Old 11-18-2008, 03:28 AM   #14
anonymous user
rarer than JDM -1 of 1!

Drives: 07yaris
I kinda fail to see the advantages of a split use manifold in the case of a DD. That would be a lot of work for someone who saw "occasional track" use.
My vote is for the first intake with high rpm power.
thanks!
anonymous user is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #15
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
crazy idea... how is the adjustment done? could it in some way be linked to a servo, for in-car adjustment?

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 11:34 AM   #16
cali yaris
ULTIMATE

Drives: 07 Yaris Turbo
Send a message via AIM to cali yaris
I vote for the single version also.
With the additional mods needed for the dual-purpose version, far fewer people will buy this.
Micro Image forums, online store and shop are now closed. It was a great eight year run, but it was time to focus on other things. I'm still selling parts on eBay under micro*image seller ID and customers can still make requests for anything specific.
cali yaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:02 PM   #17
kou

Drives: 08 lb
highend version please.
kou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 12:20 PM   #18
PETERPOOP

Drives: 08 white liftback
i'm on the list AND i am getting this. I want the high end version. too much work for the dual version.

You said with the high end the throttle body will hook up to almost all CAIs, but what about short ram intakes? Same deal? I got the AFE short ram in take. They called it the AFE Cold Air Intake 2, but i think they sent me the short ram. Unless they call it the CAI because it comes with the "heat shield."

PETERPOOP is offline   Reply With Quote