Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Wheels, Tires and Suspension Forum sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-07-2009, 04:45 PM   #1
Stiv

Drives: Yaris TS 1,8L
Something strange happened today

I was on my way home from work like I do every day since I had Yaris. As usual I was waiting for green light to turn left in to a street. I pushed the pedal, turned steering wheel for about 1/4 of a turn but my car went almost strait ahead and almost hit the sidewalk. As i was going slower than 10mph i turned steering wheel as much as I could and the VSC system turned on to stabilize the car (and it did that very well).
What was that all about? I had my windows opened. I heard no wheel squeaking, or anything like that and I'm absolutely sure I wasn't pressing gas pedal to much.

As I was coming close to my home, I pushed the pedal to the floor and car accelerated like usual. But I did that for only a second or two (speed was around 50kph). After that I pushed the brake pedal, but the car wouldn't stop. I pushed harder and ABS kicked in and it took a long time to stop.

In both cases, the road was clean and it was a warm and sunny day. Tire pressure is ok.

What's going on? Brakes are working fine as far as I can tell (no funny sounds, no funny feeling, and VSC did an excellent job).
What about tires? Are front Yokohama E70 giving up after only 15000km?

Am I missing something?
Stiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:07 PM   #2
CASTREX
Who said Yaris was slow?

Drives: Yaris T-Sport 2008
A gremlin?

But seriously... that has never happed to me.

I don't think that is because of the tires... unless you they are totally bald.
CASTREX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 05:15 PM   #3
Stiv

I inspected them when I got home. They look fine. Sure, a bit used, but otherwise ok.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:50 PM   #4
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
when you accelerate from stop, with the wheel just slightly turned, it's normal. I get wheel spin like that, all the time. But no tire squeak. For an in depth explanation, someone good in physics, please do it.

As for your #2, it's the momentum. You were accelerating, you let go the gas and step on the brakes. The car still wants to go forward, but you want it to stop, so pressing normally on the brakes would not work. Standing up on the brake pedal gives it so much force that ABS kicks in.

I see nothing wrong with the effects you are experiencing.
IllusionX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 02:56 AM   #5
Stiv

you are correct, but i'm not a new driver, and i'm driving my ts for more than a year now. it could be that i'm more careful when there is some water or snow on the road, but this really confused me.
i'm gonna test it on some big empty parking lot this weekend to see if everything works fine.
there is another thing i just remembered. i park on some gravel at my work. the tires get pretty white, like some powder is on them. maybe that's what caused all this.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #6
severous01

Drives: 2008 yaris, stripped, red
ok....i'd check the abs sensors. if it's under warranty bring it in, if not find someone with a serious scanner and have them get into abs system, drive around like u were and watch all 4 corners. all numbers should be relatively equal in speeds until you turn...the inner wheels will be lower and outers higher.

also, when you make a turn and accelerate, the inner wheel loses body weight and becomes easier to spin. body rolls outside, inside tire loses traction, inside tire spins. there's your physics lesson
severous01 is offline   Reply With Quote