Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Second Generation Toyota Yaris Main Rooms > General Yaris / Vitz Discussion
  The Tire Rack

Old 05-29-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
New Siphon Mag: Yaris vs. xA vs. Versa vs. Fit @ Streets of Willow

Different tuners with different cars attack the Streets of Willow in an attempt to dethrone the Spoon Fit from it's podium in the microcompact world. The Spoon Fit was not present to attend, so result were based on the last test the Spoon Fit underwent by SCC. A change in one corner had been made to the track since then so times are not entirely comparable. It's interesting to see the results.

The Competitors

3rd Place
Tuner: S.E.R.T. (Scion Evolution)
Car: Scion xA
Lap Time: 1.36.71
The S.E.R.T. xA is essentially a rally car so the setup isn't exactly ideal for track racing. Actually, it's the first xA rally car ever. The car has a complete Sparco interior, functional roof scoop, OZ Rally wheels, AEM intake, OBX header, OBX exhaust, JBT six-piston calipers, steel-braided lines, and a Progress Technology suspension. Siphon reflects that a stiffer spring would have greatly helped the car around the track, but by doing so, wouldn't make it a very good rally car.

2nd Place
Tuner: turn3
Car: Nissan Versa
Lap Time: 1.36.49
The turn3 Versa is essentially the first USDM Versa to be designated for track duty. The interior was pretty much left alone aside from Spaco seats, steering wheel, shiftknob, a custom rollcage, and removed carpeting. Tein Super Street dampeers with custom springs helped the Versa sit well. Aluminum crossmember mounts raised pick up points, and gave the car some negative camber. Siphon expressed that the car felt very out of whack and that perhaps it was out of adjustment. Not much was expressed about power adders, but they stated that bolts-ons were minimal. The only thing I could see in the article was an AEM intake.

1st Place
Tuner: Tein
Car: Toyota Yaris 3-Door Liftback
Lap Time: 1.32.83
The Tein Yaris decimated the competition by 4 seconds and Siphon stated it as the best machine they felt all day. The interior included a MOMO steering wheel, Razo Shiftknob, Bride Exas III seats, DEFI gauges, Takata harnesses, and a Tein EDFC. A Burnout front bumper and side skirts from KS-Auto as well as the Premium Wing and rear lip from Pond made the car look mean over 17" Enkei RP03 wheels. The engine bay and drivetrain were also well adorned with a Koyo Radiator, Setrab oil cooler, Kaaz LSD and ACT clutch kit. Continue to a Power Enterprise Camcon II unit for controlling valve timing on a K&N intake, DC Sports header, and Vibrant Performance exhaust makes for a mean machine. The car was originally designed to run a supercharger, but it was removed for this test. The suspension consisted of a custom set of their Super Street coilovers and almost 4 degrees of negative camber. Wilwood brakes provided prompt stopping power which they say was hardly used. The car took a while to get up to speed but, once it was there, it stayed there.

Non-Contestant / Previous Podium Holder
Tuner: Spoon
Car: Honda Fit
Lap Time: 1.34.03
The Spoon Fit wasn't contending on this same day, but had run it's time on a previous test conducted by Sport Compact Car. Not many specifics were given about the Spoon Fit aside from it's baffled oil pan and blueprinted & balanced L15A engine. Spoon traditionally uses stock parts and relies primarily on tuning. No turbo, no ITB's, and no high-compression pistons. Suspension parts were also unmentionaed but Siphon stated that the greatest part about the Fit was it's fast cornering speeds.

Final Standings (Collectively)
4th - S.E.R.T. Scion xA - 1.36.71
3rd - turn3 Nissan Versa - 1.36.49
2nd - Spoon Honda Fit - 1.34.03
1st - Tein Toyota Yaris - 1.32.83

Go buy the mag for the real article!!
Old 05-29-2007, 02:59 PM   #2
redyaris
Shiny Chromey Coolness

Drives: 2007 Toyota Yaris Liftback
Are they offering subscriptions to Siphon yet? The search begins again at bookstores across America!
Old 05-29-2007, 04:49 PM   #3
Yaris Revenge
GIGA...DRILL...BREAKER!!!

Drives: Lagann. ;P
Isn't that the same issue #2 that's been out for awhile now, or did they run the exact same cars again????
~YR
Old 05-29-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Ran Kizama
That Anime Guy

Drives: 5-Speed Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Ran Kizama Send a message via MSN to Ran Kizama
Yeah, it's issue #002. Just took me a while to get it. LEAVE ME ALONE!
Old 05-29-2007, 08:41 PM   #5
eTiMaGo
vroom vroom

Drives: lil red 5-door
Send a message via AIM to eTiMaGo Send a message via MSN to eTiMaGo Send a message via Yahoo to eTiMaGo
I'm still waiting on a certain somebody to send me a spare copy, you know who you are, wink wink, nudge nudge

Bye bye 1NZ...
eTiMaGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
spkrman
Banned

Drives: 1
welcome to last month :)

is the new one out???? i want a subscription dammit.
spkrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2007, 10:06 PM   #7
brickhardmeat
Lonesome Cowboy

Drives: 2007 WHITE HATCHBACK
this is so ancient
Old 05-31-2007, 09:05 AM   #8
cleong
Parallel Parking Pro

Drives: Yaris 1.5 Manual
We don't get it over here in Asia, can someone scan and post the pages?
cleong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 01:04 AM   #9
Thirty-Nine
Small cars are a big deal

Drives: 2007 Yaris Liftback
Send a message via AIM to Thirty-Nine
I couldn't find this magazine at the magazine shop I usually go to (they had the first one).

I bet the Yaris would handle even better with some 16s. I've seen the Tein Yaris in person and it looks sweet.
Thirty-Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #10
Vanderkitten

Drives: 2007 Yaris Hatchback
I have 15's with 205/50/15 Avon Tech R's (heavy-ass tires! Get Nitto's for cheap track tires) and it plain RAILS. It's pretty out of hand how it grips.
Megan Racing http://www.meganracing.com
Les Schwab Tires http://www.lesschwab.com
317 graphics http://www.317graphics.com
Vanderkitten is offline   Reply With Quote