Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2018, 09:19 PM   #1
sherlockholmes

Drives: Yaris 09
Exclamation Human error in Yaris hatchback

Since I started reading in this awesome site where I found a month ago, it's kinda fair to share my experience with all of you awesome people.

I am the kind of person that would never take my car to mechanic, even if it tries to die on me, I love to fix things on my own. Being a computer and phone tech, i have curiosity in fixing cars too, and Yaris in not so complicated car.

It all started when I was about to fix my friends old Mazda 626, by putting WD40 on his keys and wiggle it in the ignition cylinder. It worked fine for him, being 90's car. Then mine was kinda the same, so I thought I would do the same on mine, I mistakenly did put alot of it INSIDE the ignition cylinder.

I had all windows up and the moment i wanted to start the car, the key was hard rock, it couldn't move to ACC or ON. It was about an hour trying and trying, nothing could fix it, tho I could take out the key.
At some point we called a mechanic, and he said to pull out the battery and put it on again (to restart the system). So we did, and my car having larger battery than its original, it's hard to screw the top of the positive and the ground all the way.

We managed to wiggle the key, but the car would die eventually. It sounded like electrical shortage. I called a friend to check it out, as soon as he started the car, he seemed to be 100% sure it was electrical shortage.

I decided to call it a quit and leave it there for the night.

Loving the Yaris so much and being curious, I decided to research all over internet for it. In the morning, the first thing I did, to check the battery. Little did I know that the ground terminal was like 10% loose, that little make ALOT of difference. The car started fine, at that point i was happy even if the ignition cylinder failed me later.
We went to a friend of mine, that had yaris and did the same thing and nothing happened to his car, he told me how much i put in there, I said alot.

So he started to press the key inside, and take it out, continuously for three minute, then he started to put it on ACC, ON, than close it, for like another 1 minute, then it was BETTER THAN NEW.

Moral story: Don't trust everything they tell you about your car, you might know it best.
Don't fill the ignition with WD40.
Do check battery for loose terminals, even other wires.

PS: I own 2009 Toyota Yaris hatchback, SE canadian version.
sherlockholmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #2
YAR1S

Drives: 07 Yaris 3dr LB (Bayou Blue)
Send a message via AIM to YAR1S
yay for solving the problem and I've also had issues in the past with my yaris not even wanting to start with the battery terminal slightly loose. Seems like a very common issue.

Quote:
"Spendin money that I don't have to buy parts that I don't need to impress people that I don't know"
YAR1S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:12 AM   #3
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
WD40 is not a lubricant by the way.

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM   #4
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
A loose battery ground cable caused all power to die as soon as I went crank the car. Sounds ominous but once you tighten it down properly all is good

Tags
battery, ignition, key, wd40, yaris 2009