Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 09-28-2018, 06:08 AM   #19
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Looks awesome! I don't think you're "planning a swap" anymore - you're neck deep..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS
I've just been over to TIS and watched parts of the tutorial. I guessing the EWD section in the library would contain what I'm looking for. This is new to me as the only wiring diagrams I've ever used were for such things as stereo installs. Would I be looking for pinout diagrams of the ECU. And, I assume there would be pinout diagrams for each plug on the harness?
Yes, all the EWDs you can grab! (And repair manual sections if you have time, esp. related to the 2ZR in the xD manual). The System Circuit diagrams are the best, but the Location ones are handy too, and the Overall ones are more technical when you need to dive in. ECM is included in ECS (Electronic Control System) in my 2018 Yaris, but the iM was under Cruise Control, so root around..

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 06:42 AM   #20
tmontague

Drives: '08 2zr swapped Vios M/T
Right on, engine looks to he in good shape.

Do yourself a favor when the engine is still out of the engine bay and easily accessible - remove as many bolts as you can and cover them in anti seize. Specifically the exhaust manifold bolts, intake manifold, fuel rail etc.

Also remove any hoses and spray silicone lube on the metal fitting/inside the end of the hose and re install. You have no idea how much easier this will make your job down the road if you ever have to remove anything.
Old 09-28-2018, 04:17 PM   #21
06YarisRS

Drives: 06 2ZR Turbo Yaris RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
Looks awesome! I don't think you're "planning a swap" anymore - you're neck deep..

Yes, all the EWDs you can grab! (And repair manual sections if you have time, esp. related to the 2ZR in the xD manual). The System Circuit diagrams are the best, but the Location ones are handy too, and the Overall ones are more technical when you need to dive in. ECM is included in ECS (Electronic Control System) in my 2018 Yaris, but the iM was under Cruise Control, so root around..

-- Adam
Haha, I guess so... 'In for a dime, in for many dollars', If I can do this, exhaust included for under $2500 CAD, I'll be ecstatic.

I'll be honest. The thought of the diagrams frightens me LOL. But, I will get a short-term membership. I may come 'knocking on your door" for advice on the specific ones to get if I get into the system and become overwhelmed.

Thanks Adam.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
https://www.instagram.com/2zr_turbo_yarisrs/
06YarisRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 04:31 PM   #22
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmontague View Post
Right on, engine looks to he in good shape.

Do yourself a favor when the engine is still out of the engine bay and easily accessible - remove as many bolts as you can and cover them in anti seize. Specifically the exhaust manifold bolts, intake manifold, fuel rail etc.

Also remove any hoses and spray silicone lube on the metal fitting/inside the end of the hose and re install. You have no idea how much easier this will make your job down the road if you ever have to remove anything.
Yeah, it looks good from the outside. They said they "tested it and it ran good". That's a similar response to what I got from all the sellers I messaged.

Yes, I think I'll really enjoy playing with the engine before installation. My timing cover bracket is "on order" from the online Toyota Parts dealer, so I'll have a bit more time to do what you suggest regarding anti-seize/silicone. I also ordered a PCV valve (See...I'm listening! ). Thought I'd install that before the engine is put in. I should be ok, right, not installing a catch can setup like you did? I won't driving the snot out of it.

I think you mentioned that you installed a Scion upper rad hose or filler neck, did you not? I really want an OEM look and will be searching for an engine cover. So far the ones I've seen online would require me to remortgage my house to acquire. Sometimes local pricing can surprise - in a good way. I'll keep looking around here. Q: If I keep the Yaris filler neck and rad hose, I wonder if the engine cover would fit? May have to just find out after.

Finally, and my apologies for the long-winded response... Your pics from your thread are gone, Photobucket, I presume. Wondering if you'd be amenable to zipping those up (if you still have them , of course) and firing them off to me in an email. I'll totally understand if you don't want to take the time as you guys are already being amazingly helpful and I don't want to 'overstay my welcome'. I'd of course keep in mind that your swap was with manual, but pics might be helpful.

Thanks Trevor.

2006 Yaris 5 Door RS 2ZR-FE (2011 Corolla 1.8L) Swapped, Automatic, T-28 Turbocharged (8 psi), HSD MonoPro Coilovers, DIY W/M Injection, custom 3" cold air intake, custom 2.5" exhaust, TRD rear sway bar, Penguin Garage 13mm spacers (rear), custom Civic front lip, full repaint, Android 6.0 7" touchscreen, Rockford Fosgate speakers, tweeters, NVX underseat subwoofer
Old 09-28-2018, 04:43 PM   #23
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern-diz View Post
Subscribed!
Excellent! Glad you're coming along for the show. It could be amusing. LOL!

Old 09-28-2018, 07:55 PM   #24
tmontague

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Yeah, it looks good from the outside. They said they "tested it and it ran good". That's a similar response to what I got from all the sellers I messaged.

Yes, I think I'll really enjoy playing with the engine before installation. My timing cover bracket is "on order" from the online Toyota Parts dealer, so I'll have a bit more time to do what you suggest regarding anti-seize/silicone. I also ordered a PCV valve (See...I'm listening! ). Thought I'd install that before the engine is put in. I should be ok, right, not installing a catch can setup like you did? I won't driving the snot out of it.

I think you mentioned that you installed a Scion upper rad hose or filler neck, did you not? I really want an OEM look and will be searching for an engine cover. So far the ones I've seen online would require me to remortgage my house to acquire. Sometimes local pricing can surprise - in a good way. I'll keep looking around here. Q: If I keep the Yaris filler neck and rad hose, I wonder if the engine cover would fit? May have to just find out after.

Finally, and my apologies for the long-winded response... Your pics from your thread are gone, Photobucket, I presume. Wondering if you'd be amenable to zipping those up (if you still have them , of course) and firing them off to me in an email. I'll totally understand if you don't want to take the time as you guys are already being amazingly helpful and I don't want to 'overstay my welcome'. I'd of course keep in mind that your swap was with manual, but pics might be helpful.

Thanks Trevor.
Most engine recyclers claim that about their engine - mine had data for oil pressure, pul loss and compression but somehow when I went to pick it up they had to go find it and it was still sitting under the car it was pulled from. BS they never engine dyno'd it, they likely made up the numbers based off the mileage. Either way the 2zr is a very robust motor so typically they are all fine unless oil was rarely changed or it was run dry.

You will be fine without a catch can, just run a good oil and change it frequently. Also avoid only doing short trips in the winter, my catch can picks up a lot of water in the winter months.

Yes, I run the xD upper hose and filler spout which I highly recommend. It mounts nice and solid to the already existing 2 holes on your fan shroud. It also places it at a high point which makes bleeding the coolant easy. Iirc I bought mine from village scion online in the states and it wasn't too much, I think around $40 usd for it all. Btw there are technically 2 hoses as one is just a short 2 inch straight run that connects the fill spout to the radiator. The other is long and runs from the spout to the engine. You realistically could forgo the short one and just cut a piece of existing 1nz hose and make it work. It only cost a few bucks and I didn't want to leave anything to chance so I bought it as well.

I actually was using FB to host my pics but apparently they seem to sweep the url's clean every few weeks as all my pics seem to be been broken links now and this happens every few weeks. I can post the pics back when I get a chance but I will be busy the next couple weeks.

Email me any pics you specifically need and I can send them to you. I have pics of the maf power wire I spliced in which will help you
Old 09-28-2018, 09:00 PM   #25
06YarisRS

Quote:
Most engine recyclers claim that about their engine - mine had data for oil pressure, pul loss and compression but somehow when I went to pick it up they had to go find it and it was still sitting under the car it was pulled from. BS they never engine dyno'd it, they likely made up the numbers based off the mileage. Either way the 2zr is a very robust motor so typically they are all fine unless oil was rarely changed or it was run dry.

You will be fine without a catch can, just run a good oil and change it frequently. Also avoid only doing short trips in the winter, my catch can picks up a lot of water in the winter months.

Yes, I run the xD upper hose and filler spout which I highly recommend. It mounts nice and solid to the already existing 2 holes on your fan shroud. It also places it at a high point which makes bleeding the coolant easy. Iirc I bought mine from village scion online in the states and it wasn't too much, I think around $40 usd for it all. Btw there are technically 2 hoses as one is just a short 2 inch straight run that connects the fill spout to the radiator. The other is long and runs from the spout to the engine. You realistically could forgo the short one and just cut a piece of existing 1nz hose and make it work. It only cost a few bucks and I didn't want to leave anything to chance so I bought it as well.

I actually was using FB to host my pics but apparently they seem to sweep the url's clean every few weeks as all my pics seem to be been broken links now and this happens every few weeks. I can post the pics back when I get a chance but I will be busy the next couple weeks.

Email me any pics you specifically need and I can send them to you. I have pics of the maf power wire I spliced in which will help you
Awesome. Thanks Trevor. I think I'll start with the stock Yaris rad hose. My wife did some online banking today and her eyes buldged a bit when she saw the credit card statement pending charges. She was aware of the upcoming costs. But, I kinda went on a spending spree the last couple of nights. Fortunately the big ticket items have by now been procured.

OK, I will let you know which pics will be helpful. I'd definitely take the MAF wiring anytime. But, like you say, you're definitely going to be busy for the next while. Haha. Hope yours sleep better through the night than ours did!

Old 09-29-2018, 08:23 AM   #26
06YarisRS

Quote:
Yes, I run the xD upper hose and filler spout which I highly recommend.
Since you recommended it...

Just need the actual hose now.

I also compiled - hopefully - all the parts I need to mount the alternator.

Old 09-29-2018, 08:55 AM   #27
atomic_hoji

Drives: 2018 Yaris SE 5MT
Quote:

+1 - wish I'd taken the time to do that.. I know it'll make life easier in the long run. Similarly, if you need to run any wiring, etc.. do it (or at least rough it in) while the engine is out of the engine bay - WAY more difficult after-the-fact. lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06YarisRS View Post
Haha, I guess so... 'In for a dime, in for many dollars', If I can do this, exhaust included for under $2500 CAD, I'll be ecstatic.

I'll be honest. The thought of the diagrams frightens me LOL. But, I will get a short-term membership. I may come 'knocking on your door" for advice on the specific ones to get if I get into the system and become overwhelmed.
If you come in at $2500 CAD you're doing awesome - because of mistakes, additional ECUs for fan control, fuel control, etc.. I was in way deeper than that.

Once you get the hang of the System Circuit diagrams they're actually pretty straight forward - Toyota does a pretty good job of laying them out and labelling, etc.. And YW folks are always here to help!

Like Trevor I also run the upper xD hose and filler neck - the Yaris setup ended up interfering and in the way. I also ran both xD heather hoses as I found mine were kinking to run from the 2ZR to the Yaris firewall - not sure if Trevor, Sam, or Tom found that they needed those or not.

I need to get one of those fan belt adjusters - my home brew made from flatbar is doing to the job, but I suspect is slipping a bit... lol

Can't wait to see the accumulated pile of parts ready to go!

-- Adam
atomic_hoji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 01:37 PM   #28
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic_hoji View Post
+1 - wish I'd taken the time to do that.. I know it'll make life easier in the long run. Similarly, if you need to run any wiring, etc.. do it (or at least rough it in) while the engine is out of the engine bay - WAY more difficult after-the-fact. lol

If you come in at $2500 CAD you're doing awesome - because of mistakes, additional ECUs for fan control, fuel control, etc.. I was in way deeper than that.

Once you get the hang of the System Circuit diagrams they're actually pretty straight forward - Toyota does a pretty good job of laying them out and labelling, etc.. And YW folks are always here to help!

Like Trevor I also run the upper xD hose and filler neck - the Yaris setup ended up interfering and in the way. I also ran both xD heather hoses as I found mine were kinking to run from the 2ZR to the Yaris firewall - not sure if Trevor, Sam, or Tom found that they needed those or not.

I need to get one of those fan belt adjusters - my home brew made from flatbar is doing to the job, but I suspect is slipping a bit... lol

Can't wait to see the accumulated pile of parts ready to go!

-- Adam
Haha, $2500.00 is likely conservative. It really becomes apparent how many little bits and pieces you need when doing a swap as opposed to just replacing a part in the same car. I keep looking at the pics of my engine close up, then comparing them to online parts diagrams and/or engine bay pictures online and on youtube for example. I have no idea if some of the hardware (alternator bolts, bracket bolts, small hoses/tubing etc) from the Yaris is transferable. The last thing I want is to stall the whole project (aka, getting running) due to missing some tiny little part. One thing that does freak me out a bit is the number of nipples, little tubes and such coming out of the engine. I hope I will have all the hoses, tubing etc to complete the install.

I did opt for the xD rad hose/filler combo as suggested by Trevor. I'll also check in with Trevor on how it went with his heater hoses 'adaptation'. That reminds me...I'm wondering if the rad hose diameters are similar enough to use my old spring clamps.

I plan to get on to TIS or identifix this evening and have a look for the diagrams. Then, let the downloading begin.

Thanks!!!

Old 09-29-2018, 02:24 PM   #29
06YarisRS

Here is a list of rad hose related parts for the xD. Not sure which I'd need but hopefully not all. I suspect that many are already in the Yaris or are not used. If anyone was willing to say you just need A, B. C etc that would be great. I am already getting the upper rad hose (16571-37090), Filler Sub-Assy Water (16502-37010) and Hose 3 (16573-37030). I'm hoping that's all I need.

I am getting a membership to identifix or TIS and will be learning about the various wiring for the Yaris, Corolla and xD. This will be time-consuming for me as it's new to me so I'm all ears for tips as per rad hoses etc in the interest of saving time.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-29-2018 at 02:45 PM.
Old 09-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #30
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
This is Awesome!
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:35 PM   #31
06YarisRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmstrongRacing View Post
This is Awesome!

Old 09-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #32
06YarisRS

More Parts for Alternator, Radiator and Engine Mount

Extra parts:

Old 09-29-2018, 09:07 PM   #33
tmontague

I still don't know what purpose that engine mount stay does? I have it on my engine but I can't see it doing much for support
Old 09-29-2018, 09:34 PM   #34
06YarisRS

Quote:
I still don't know what purpose that engine mount stay does? I have it on my engine but I can't see it doing much for support
Yeah, I wondered that too. Maybe to control lateral movement?

Oh, BTW, Trevor, I think you said that you used your Yaris heater hoses. Is that correct and did you have any issue with reusing them? New ones aren't prohibitively expensive, but if I can save a buck or two here and there, I will. Thanks.

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-29-2018 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-30-2018, 08:45 AM   #35
06YarisRS

Quick question before I dive into the wiring diagrams...

Can I use the Corolla timing cover bracket mount bolts to attach the xD bracket? Not sure if there is a difference in bracket thickness and if the bolts are long enough or too long?

Last edited by 06YarisRS; 09-30-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-30-2018, 12:51 PM   #36
ArmstrongRacing
Data doesn't lie

Drives: That Scrappy 2zrVios
They are the same bolts, I reused the corolla bracket bolts on my xD bracket.

Quote:
I agree. I never installed that part
ArmstrongRacing is offline   Reply With Quote