Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 03-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
ToTo

Drives: Toyota Yaris T SPORT
Cleaning throttle body

Has anybody tried cleaning the throttle body? I read that it can make a big difference since there could be a lot of junk and carbon built up in the throttle body itself. Also saw an article where after cleaning the throttle body, there was an improvement in acceleration and the car became much more responsive than before the cleaning process. Has anybody had any experience with this, especially with our cars, if so then what are the steps, do you have to fully disassemble the throttle body or is it enough to just clean it and spray into it from the outside with carb or throttle body cleaner?
Old 03-05-2009, 02:09 PM   #2
yarstar

Drives: 2008 Absolute Red HB
I've heard that regular carb cleaner will mess up the gasket. A mechanic at a dealership told me not to use it because they had seen several come in damaged from it.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
ToTo

Thanks for the reply, good to know!
Old 03-06-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
easier to clean older cars like my celica spraying the manifold without filter intacts and its still running where as new car wont ever run with out filter on..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:58 PM   #5
kustom play
pink wheels are cool

Drives: 07 liftback
thats one thing i like about my MR2

had it running open TB

it would of been a pain to reinstall everything to move it a few feet away
kustom play is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:04 AM   #6
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
well, where i work, we normally use a air intake cleaning solution thats safe for gaskets and wipe the throttlebody down (clean the passage and plate) and then use a upper engine cleaner while the car is running to clean the manifold and TB behind the butterfly.

but yeah, be carefull what cleaner and the amount. alot of those cleaners will have chemicals that will affect the car similar to nitrous oxide...they will increase the RPM's and in large amounts can cause pre detonation. so, be carefull.

p.s. those cleaners can also be usefull pinpointing vacuum leaks on a car...spray the cleaners near the hoses and when you get to a cracked one thats leaking the engine RPM's will raise. helpfull tip of the day #1.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:52 PM   #7
AlexNet0

Drives: '07 Yaris 3dr
Send a message via AIM to AlexNet0 Send a message via MSN to AlexNet0 Send a message via Yahoo to AlexNet0
^^What should be used for upper engine cleaners? When i had the TB off I swiped my finger a few inches inside the intake manifold and it was filthy, would what you are talking about help that?
Old 03-08-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
Spades
The Hated One

Drives: 07 White Manual Sedan
yes. the suppliers i get my stuff from though only deal in products unavailable for buying off the street.

just look for a name brand product that is in a aerosol can and would be listed as a upper engine cleaner, or as a TB and manifold cleaner.

just find one that eats the nasty junk and wont cause bad times spraying it in the intake while the car is running.
Old 03-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
rningonfumes

Drives: Yaris Sedan 5MT
I would just use the EFI safe Throttlebody sprays and an old toothbrush.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:01 AM   #10
YarisPR

Drives: Yaris Sedan
Just remove the TB it take like 10-15 mins carb cleaner let it dry and re-install.

Simple 45min o less work.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:18 PM   #11
LittleRed
LittleRed

Drives: 2008 Yaris Hatchback 5spd
I bought throttle body cleaner at my toyota dealer....putting in fuel system cleaners on a regular basis sure works for mine..as well as running 91 octane
LittleRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 06:26 AM   #12
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
brake cleaner?
Old 10-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
get a piece of wood or a stick wrap a cotton cloth around it dip it in the throttle body cleaner and spin in inside the throttle...it should clean 80 % of the throttle that way..
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 07:53 PM   #14
t0m4s
1NZ-FE

Drives: Yaris Seddan 08
Quote:
Originally Posted by yarstar View Post
I've heard that regular carb cleaner will mess up the gasket. A mechanic at a dealership told me not to use it because they had seen several come in damaged from it.
i used a regular carb cleaner

i taked off the intake, start the car and rev it to 5000 - 6000 rpm and in the meanwhile a friend was spraying carb cleaner, and my yaris is just in perfect state

DC Sports Header, Vibrant Hi-Flow Cat, Round Magnaflow Muffler, Vibrant Tip, Dunlop Direzza 195/50 Rims 15", Injen Technologies Cold Air Intake, NST CR-Lite crank, waterpump & alternator pulleys, Tanabe NF210 Springs, NST SSK 1 & 2, NST Shifter Cable & Cage Bushing Kit, Nitto Engine Torque Damper
t0m4s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 04:31 PM   #15
ToTo

Yeah back to this topic, is it better to spray it while the car is idling and then rev it, or just with the car off and start it after cleaning? Will our cars start at all with the MAF sensor taken out?
Old 07-27-2011, 04:58 AM   #16
denrybiker

Drives: ford
I talked to my mechanic friend about the trick of cleaning the throttle body for better engine performance. Throttle Body is a part that seldom gives any trouble under normal conditions. The two most common maintenance jobs are fuel-injector cleaning and throttle-body cleaning and clean the throttle body wall, being careful to work around any electronic sensors.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:48 AM   #17
Crackerballer

Drives: 08 BMW 135i
Holy Old Thread Batman!
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
MUSKOKA800

Drives: '08 Yaris Sedan, Aero Package
Looked at the TB during my S/C install a few weeks back. 91000 kilometers on the vehicle and the TB looked more of less spotless. Bolted it back on without a second thought.

Aftermarket Goodies: Piggies SS, K&N Drop-In, Blitz S/C, DC Header, NST Pulley)

Toyota Options/Accessories: Sport Pedal Covers, Sport Shift Knob, Ipod Interface, Summer Mats, Winter Mats, Cruise Control, Auto-Dim Mirror, Echo steelies with winter boots.
MUSKOKA800 is offline   Reply With Quote