Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-09-2009, 08:31 AM   #1
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Drives: MM 09 Yaris 5 Dr LB "Click"
Question Block heater

Does anyone currently have a block heater on their Yaris? I'm seriously considering one. Do they make a noticable economy difference due to "warm up" time and does anyone know the Toyota part #/approximate price?

TIA

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 10-09-2009 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Sp
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:17 AM   #2
thebarber
daily driver

Drives: the #wrecho
i have one as i used to live in new brunswick....so just north-east of you

huge difference in warm-up times, especially when its -20C and colder

well worth the $100-ish to get one w/ installation...(though i got mine thrown in when i bought the car in 07 in fredericton, nb)
Old 10-09-2009, 09:20 AM   #3
WolfWings

Drives: Silver 2007 3Dr - Gryph
And on a side-note, if your dealership or whatever can't find one for a Yaris, have them look up a Prius, at least up until model year 2009.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:37 PM   #4
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Thanks guys-much appreciated!

R2
"The howl was the sound of God’s casting pot, the morphing of my cells into shape, the forming of oceans out of molten premordial plasma. And I could feel it. I could cry for it. I could cry with it."
-The Fitful One

Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
I had the choice between mp3 radio or block heater when I bought the car...I should had bought the block heater....would had saved me a lot of cold butt days!

thanks god the wife (or ex wife?!) bought a remote starter!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #6
thebarber
daily driver

i had a block heater, mp3 HU, all season mats and window vent visors thrown in w/ purchase....
Old 10-12-2009, 10:40 AM   #7
the_boss

Drives: 07 YARIS HATCH 5 DOOR
Send a message via MSN to the_boss
ill shop more next time....! and even If I have to drive between Edmundston to Fredericton or Quebec City Ill do it!
the_boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:59 AM   #8
linny

Drives: '08 liftback mt
I put one in last winter for my '08 liftback. As I recall it cost thirty some bucks. It was a real pain to install for me. I had to take a couple bolts and brackets out to be able to slide the unit into the sleeve in the engine block.. Prob the worst part was not being able to see what you were doing laying on your back. Not pleasant. It did make a really big difference for starting and warm up--worth the pains and bloody knuckles!
linny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:15 AM   #9
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Thanks all for the input. I ordered an oem block heater-part # 00213-00900 which is specificaly listed for 07-09 Yaris AUTO only which I thought was interesting. Not sure why it's auto only but it also fits the Prius, FJ Cruiser and quite a few other models. Hopefully I'll get it put in without too much trouble.

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 10-17-2009, 11:58 PM   #10
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Just an update I installed the block heater today-it was a completely blind operation. I had to go completely by feel. Linny, you were right about getting scraped up!

The good news is I didn't have to remove a single item from the car to do the install (I have an auto). I did the install leaning over the engine compartment and didn't have to get on the ground except to secure the plug to the lower grill. I found I had to rotate the heater just right a couple of times to clear everything and get it all the way in. I think it is ingenious to have a purpose built heater port in the block-makes it nice not having to mess with frost plugs or potential coolant leaks.

Thanks everyone for the input!

R2
-The Fitful One

Old 10-19-2009, 11:57 AM   #11
linny

R2, great news you didn't have to pull anything to get it in there! Enjoy your warm start-ups!!
Old 10-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #12
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by linny View Post
R2, great news you didn't have to pull anything to get it in there! Enjoy your warm start-ups!!
Thanks, linny! Yes, this install seemed to be close to best case scenario. The bonus was I got a warmish afternoon to install it.

Yes-the warm start ups are great. The car starts like I just shut it off a little while ago and does not scream away on high idle. At below freezing with just 2 hrs of block heater run time I went from 2 miles until cool engine light out to less than 0.5! From what I've been reading most have found a EBH run time of about 3 hrs to be the most economical. I bought a GE digital timer at Home Depot today for less than twenty bucks so I can have the EBH come on automatically before I leave for work.

Should be great when the REAL cold gets here.
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 10-20-2009 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Punc
Old 10-19-2009, 04:35 PM   #13
nemelek
DWEED

Drives: 3DR 2008 Metorite Metalic
To the Yaris warms up faster than any other car that I have owned. By the time I scraped the windows the car was ready to roll. The Dodge Deisel that takes 12 quarts of oil takes 12 miles to warm up. It came with a heater plug. One cold morning I pluged it in for my wife. She promptly drove off with it plugged in.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #14
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
I just ordered a block heater, which should be here in a few days. Can anyone give me an idea where the socket is located on the rear of the block?

Thanks much,
Jon
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:24 AM   #15
linny

Jon, on my '08 with manual trans there is not a plug. It is a crypt on the lower drivers side of the block that the heater slides into after slathering with di-electric grease. With the '08 manual transmission I had to take a bracket holding the clutch cable off to get the heater into the block. You can find the hole from either above or below by feeling around. It is a liitle larger bore than a AA battery as I recall. You'd probably be able to see it using a mirror.. Good luck.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:08 AM   #16
R2D2
Crazy Oil Sniffer

Jon,

I spent some time finding the core hole. This is how I finally found it. (BTW I have an auto so I'm not sure how a manual will differ but I hear one will need to remove some brackets on the manual.)

Stand against the front of the car (if you're short like me the Toyota emblem will be lined up like a belt buckle) and reach with your left hand between the side of the engine and the battery, toward the back of the engine. Drop down until you feel the top of the transmission. The reason for using your left hand is it will naturally line up to get back to the area of the core hole. Keep sliding your hand toward the side of the engine under the metal coolant line leading with your fingers and feel for the hole there, just above where the transmission joins the engine. It should be large enough to get a finger in and mine felt polished on the inside. Make sure it is clean inside-this is a well protected area evidently as mine didn't even have any dust in it. Finding it is half the battle.

To install the heater:

I ran the cord first, but didn't tie it down until last. I ran it around the back of the battery and beside the airbox to the radiator and ran out between the plastic shroud and let it drop down to the lower grill. I ran it out through the grill and zip tied it to the grate. With the protective cap on the plug wedges neatly between the grate for storage. I'll post some pics later showing how I routed it.

Preassemble the cord to the heater-the cord and clip on the heater should line up. Grease the heck out of the core hole and the heater itself with the supplied lube. Find the core hole again with left hand while holding the heater in your right and get the heater in the general area of the core hole. The metal clip on the heater and the electical cord should be aimed toward the firewall. I then got it started in and found I had to rotate the cord/clip down until the heater would clear-then I had to rotate the clip/cord up at one point after that. When you get to the point the heater is all the way in the clip must be pointed straight back toward the firewall again so it can engage the ear that holds it in the block. It takes a bit of force coming straight in on the plug to snap it in but you will definitely know when the clip locks over.

I'll update this shortly with pics although they will be of limited help due to the area involved but hopefuly this will get you started off.

R2

Middle left pic is area to put left arm down through to located core hole. Between those three large rubber hoses and the battery. The aluminum/foil lined wire is the electric wire going to the block heater, to give you an idea.

Middle right is another angle showing the general area where core hole is located.

Bottom pic was taken blind with BB camera-this is the first time I've laid eyes on it, lol! The orange is the rubber plug attached to the block heater. The large bolt head to the right is actually located down-I'm not techno savvy and couldn't rotate pic to proper perspective. Metal coolant line I described above is also visible in the pic. It's tight in there!

Sorry this isn't the greatest-hopefully it will be of some value. If you can I'd recommend trying to find the core hole before the block heater even arrives-the muscle memory from finding it beforehand will be handy at installation time. Let us know how it works out! If I can be of further assistance or something isn't clear in my description, let me know and I'll try to clarify. Good luck!

R2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG00105.jpg (51.7 KB, 866 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00106.jpg (51.9 KB, 834 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00100.jpg (59.3 KB, 828 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00107.jpg (54.2 KB, 831 views)
File Type: jpg IMG00109.jpg (93.6 KB, 837 views)
-The Fitful One

Last edited by R2D2; 10-20-2009 at 12:25 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #17
JonS

Drives: 2009 3 door Liftback
Thanks linny, and R2D2; that helps a bunch. When it arrives and I get at it, I'll post how the process went.

Jon
JonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 08:30 AM   #18
thebarber
daily driver

i keep mine beside the battery +/- so when i use it i just pop the hood and pull out the plug which i leave hang out the top of the hood/bottom of the windsheild....i don't like threading it thru the lower grill because its so tiight down there