Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > Performance Modifications
  The Tire Rack

Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 PM   #1
Morgan

Drives: 07 MM LB
$2.99 Oil Catch Can

After disassembling my supercharger the last few days I didn't notice any oil in the charge pipes or in the manifold assembly, but to make myself feel better I got a $2.99 see through fuel filter and installed it in the PCV line. When/If it fills up its cheap to change and saves valuable space in the tiny engine bay. Here's a picture:

Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
GREAT idea!! wow
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
KCALB SIRAY
それを吸ってください

Drives: black sand lb
I'm so hot for you right now because of this, lol. Seriously, great idea
KCALB SIRAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
kngrsll
Apexing Egg!!

Drives: 07 Toyota Yaris white hatch
Send a message via AIM to kngrsll
got a part number or what car it came off of by chance?
kngrsll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
marcus
toyota

Drives: 2007 Yaris RS Blazed
now im confuse i thought its suppose to be on the otherside..

like this.. http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/sho...ight=oil+catch
marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #6
Morgan

Purolator F21111, any cheap filter will work though. But for the record it came from PepBoys and there were other sizes to pick from that I'm sure would work just as well.

Kcalb- umm, thanks? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcus View Post
now im confuse i thought its suppose to be on the otherside...
both ports do the same thing, my other one is capped off...
Old 06-19-2009, 07:37 PM   #7
TEHxFALLEN V1.2
Banned

Drives: '08 Lexus IS-F
Send a message via AIM to TEHxFALLEN V1.2
That's pretty gangster. I like it. I think it's cool.

Sponsored by: Micro Image
http://microimageonline.com
TEHxFALLEN V1.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 07:56 PM   #8
firebob

Drives: 09 yaris
I think the oil will go right through that element and there’s no place for it to drain but into the intake.

If you show me the case of those filters so you can change them all the time I give you a +1 but if you didn’t get a case of them then you get -1 for cutting the hose for no reason.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:07 PM   #9
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Did you use an electric zip tie on the hose to secure it?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #10
Tamago
Start another Oil Thread!

Drives: ZZW30
Send a message via AIM to Tamago Send a message via Yahoo to Tamago
Quote:
Originally Posted by firebob View Post
I think the oil will go right through that element and there’s no place for it to drain but into the intake.

If you show me the case of those filters so you can change them all the time I give you a +1
but if you didn’t get a case of them then you get -1 for cutting the hose for no reason.

so, unless she bought a case of them before knowing how they'd work, she gets a -1... wow dude.
I hate people like you (xbgod) because your the reason I don't come to this board. You spout nonsense and lies and people who don't know any better hold you in high regards because they can't tell the wheat from the chaff.
you nailed it sir.
Tamago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:39 PM   #11
firebob

I would think that holding it up to the hose and looking you could see it would see that the oil would soak through the filter element and go right into the intake. That’s where the -1 comes in.

I’m sure the cost of the hose is about the cost as a case of the filters I bet.

I would like to say that I’m sorry for giving it a -1.

But now that I look at it closer I give it a +2 for re filtering the air that’s getting sucked into the crank case. If you want it to be an oil catch can then it needs to be on the back hose coming off top of the crank case unless it’s different on the 08 then the 09.

Old 06-20-2009, 05:52 AM   #12
ddongbap
Banned

Drives: yw calls me douche and racist.
Soo.. wheres the catch?
ddongbap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:11 PM   #13
Morgan

Considering not all engines (not even all 1nz's) are created equally, an oil catch isn't absolutely necessary on every engine. So I either wasted $2.99 on a fuel filter since my engine doesn't have a blow by problem, or I wasted $2.99 on a fuel filter because I would have to buy a much higher capacity oil catch later on, or like I said in the beginning I was curious to see how much oil was actually going through the tube...

But guess what?!?!?! if the filter soaks 100% with oil, the car will still function! Amazing right!
Old 06-20-2009, 02:15 PM   #14
firebob

With it on the wrong hose it will only see oil if you have an issue.
Old 06-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
firebob

In post #1 it says in the PCV line.
Old 06-20-2009, 07:30 PM   #16
Morgan

Quote:
In post #1 it says in the PCV line.
Pull your valve cover. Both of those tubes do the same job. One tube goes to the stock intake manifold, while the other goes just after the MAF. They do the same job. It is redundant to have both tubes. So during the supercharger install, I capped off one of the tubes since my new intake/supercharger set up only had one port (cause it came from a Scion xA/xB and they only have one breather tube). Since I only have the one tube that is where I put the filter.

Both tubes are not necessary for the car to run, Toyota makes redundant systems for reliability and this is one instance where I am willing to give up some of the redundancy to save space.

I suppose you could install the filter in the other line, it would make no difference whatsoever. However, for a catch can to be most effective you need to make sure all pcv hoses are going to the can to get all of the oil that passes through makes it to the catch can.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:40 PM   #17
firebob

Ok sure.

But both hoses do not do the same thing.

The set up is to pull in air form before the throttle body through the crankcase and dump it back into the intake. The hose that dumps back into the intake has the check valve. When you let off the gas the throttle body closes down most of the way and the motor would suck air though the crank case and burn off the fumes in the crank case.

But with only one you will only get blow by and a bit of air from the change in the temp as the car heats up and cools down out of that hose. I didn’t see that you had removed the other hose.
Old 06-20-2009, 10:48 PM   #18
yaris-me
Learn to Relax

Drives: 2007, Meteorite, LB
Quote:
Ok sure.

But both hoses do not do the same thing.

The set up is to pull in air form before the throttle body through the crankcase and dump it back into the intake. The hose that dumps back into the intake has the check valve. When you let off the gas the throttle body closes down most of the way and the motor would suck air though the crank case and burn off the fumes in the crank case.

But with only one you will only get blow by and a bit of air from the change in the temp as the car heats up and cools down out of that hose. I didn’t see that you had removed the other hose.
I'm confused. The hose from the PCV goes to the intake manifold after the throttle body and there is another hose that goes after the MAF. What is the point in having two? After throttle shut down wouldn't it just circulate air through the hose to the manifold?
yaris-me is offline   Reply With Quote