Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site

Go Back   Toyota Yaris Forums - Ultimate Yaris Enthusiast Site > Technical Forums > DIY / Maintenance / Service
  The Tire Rack

Old 10-12-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
problem with co-worker yaris, need opinion on what it could be.

This is the problem she has been having with her yaris. I think it is the Clutch Safety Switch, but the key part doesn't make sense to me. Here is her story let me know what else it could be, or if you need more info. I tried searching but not sure under what title to search for, stalling, key fob problem etc. Thanks

I was at the grocery store yesterday. Came out 15 mins later went to start my car and it started but stalled immediately. I started it again and same thing. The engine starts then I push the gas pedal the rpms go up but when I push the gas again the car doesn't respond and it stalls. I tried again and the starter kept turning over but won't start the car. I took the key out turned the key over and the car started fine?? got home and tried to duplicate the problem but it seems to be fine. I had this same problem a year or two ago. I took it to the mechanic and the code said the car thinks it's being stolen so it shuts the engine down. I called toyota's 1-800 number and they said it's the chip in they key. The chip only lasts for so long. So I started using my spare key and I haven't had this problem since. Until yesterday. I have a valet key that's new that I haven't used. I tried all three keys this morning but the car started fine. Have you heard of this problem? I've tried googling the issue haven't found anyone complaining of the same problem. I was going to take it to the mechanic again Tuesday after work, hopefully I make it to work. See what the code says again then maybe go to Toyota and see what they say? or get a new key made? I hate going to Toyota they want so much money for something that's hopefully not a big problem. My car is at 270,000 kms now. I've had the car new since 2008 and the first key lasted 5 years then the spare only lasted a year or two. Doesn't make sense. Could I drive using the valet key? Could it be an electrical issue? I don't believe it is cause it's only happened twice in so many years. Let me know your thoughts. Or what I should do.
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
IllusionX
It's the illusion you see

Drives: 07 Yaris Sedan Aero
problem with co-worker yaris, need opinion on what it could be.

It looks more like an immobilizer issue, since all 3 keys are able to start the car.
Old 10-13-2014, 07:58 AM   #3
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
The immobilizer should prevent the car from starting (as opposed to letting it start and then die).
Old 10-13-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
ajkochev74

Drives: Yaris
I'd suspect a failing battery, alternator, or the wiring relating to ether of these two things. I've seen problems in the past with these two things cause engines to just shut off for no other reason randomly. Guess it could be a failing key if there are electronics in it.
ajkochev74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 01:16 AM   #5
Adriaan
In between cities

Drives: 2006 yaris ce
Battery and alternator were checked, all good. But for the immobilizer if she gets one from a scrap yard, do the keys have to be reprogrammed? Also are the immobilizer year specific so and 08 for and 08 etc.?
Adriaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 06:39 AM   #6
CTScott
ULTIMATE

Drives: 09 5dr LB, 2x 08 3dr LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriaan View Post
Battery and alternator were checked, all good. But for the immobilizer if she gets one from a scrap yard, do the keys have to be reprogrammed? Also are the immobilizer year specific so and 08 for and 08 etc.?
Again - If it starts and dies it is not the immobilizer. The immobilizer is part of the ECM, so if she did decide to replace that she would need one of the original master keys from the car that the used ECM came from in order to program it with the keys for her car.

If you can confirm that it actually does start and die (as opposed to crank and not start), then I would look for vacuum leaks, bad MAF sensor, issue with plugs or coil packs, or a fuel system problem (bad fuel pump or plugged fuel filter).